Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self Hosted Solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self Hosted Solution

SashiSashi Member

So a couple years ago I moved away from Dropbox and got my own VPS and set up owncloud.

While owncloud was good for my needs it was a killer on my bandwidth/upload speed because if a file was modified the whole file needs to be reuploaded.

I'm looking for an alternative to owncloud which is good for large binary files & documents that get modified often and only uploads the difference in the file.

I tried seafile but I didn't like the web interface.

Comments

• What about Pydio (I don't know if it will do a difference upload/download)

• @Sashi said:
    So a couple years ago I moved away from Dropbox and got my own VPS and set up owncloud.

While owncloud was good for my needs it was a killer on my bandwidth/upload speed because if a file was modified the whole file needs to be reuploaded.

I'm looking for an alternative to owncloud which is good for large binary files & documents that get modified often and only uploads the difference in the file.

I tried seafile but I didn't like the web interface.

Syncthing allows for block-level synchronization, but has no web interface for downloading.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @StartledPhoenix said:
    Syncthing allows for block-level synchronization, but has no web interface for downloading.

wouldn't it be trivial to just use any web-based file manager?

• edited March 2015

@Jonchun said:
    wouldn't it be trivial to just use any web-based file manager?

One extra step :)

Funny enough, if you tinker around with permissions... pydio works if you force syncthing to sync the pydio data folder where the files are stored.

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    Funny enough, if you tinker around with permissions... pydio works if you force syncthing to sync the pydio data folder where the files are stored.

Haha fair enough :P

Have you used syncthing yourself?

• edited March 2015

@Jonchun said:
    Have you used syncthing yourself?

Yeah, with a large number of files (2G+ videos) + Documents

also: https://github.com/StartledPhoenix/saltstack-syncthing

havent found time lately (this week is my reading week at school, and I have exams next week), but a few major bugs should be fixed soon. Ive got the fixes ready, just haven't actually tested them widely yet.

edit:

ah whatever, just committed the fixes. Still missing non-amd64 support, and support for OSes other than Ubuntu, but otherwise works

• SashiSashi Member

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with BT Sync. All the other options require the client installation to have admin access while BT Sync doesn't.

I want to install a sync client on my work laptop as I can sync over all my work stuff from my desktop over to the laptop but don't have the admin pass for it.

Is BT Sync the only option?