Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to mount dedicated server storage to VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to mount dedicated server storage to VPS?

I am using my dedicated server for active downloading to a folder /folderexample

I want to know if its possible to mount that directory to a vps for plex to read and delete from while still downloading new things on the dedi. So not lose any of the use of the dedi but gain the ability to have it mounted on the vps.
I'd like to know what is the best way to do this, thanks.

Comments

• You can use SSHFS. A step-by-step tutorial is available on my blog (in sig).

• @hwdsl2 said:
    You can use SSHFS. A step-by-step tutorial is available on my blog (in sig).

Is SSHFS reliable, I'm seeing that people are saying NFS is faster.

• I personally use NFS to mount user generated contents from a cheap dedi storage into the website vps.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2015

@camjac251 said:

In my experience SSHFS is pretty reliable, I use it to create shared folders across all my VPS servers.
    As MarkTurner mentioned, NFS is not recommended to be used over the Internet, for security reasons.

• @hwdsl2 said:

Yeah but look at the difference prokop.uek.krakow.pl/projects/fs_benchmark.html

edited March 2015

@camjac251 said:

To improve performance, you may add Ciphers=arcfour128 to SSHFS options (ref: [1] [2]).

• @hwdsl2 said:

But thats removing the encryption, which seperates it from NFS. So why not just use NFS then?

edited March 2015

Well, it is not removing the encryption, just switching to a faster cipher "RC4". If your CPU supports AESNI (check: grep aes /proc/cpuinfo), you can instead use aes128-ctr or aes128-cbc which could be faster than RC4. For details, please see "ref: [1] [2]" above.

• NomadNomad Member

@MarkTurner said:
    NFS over public internet - not recommended.

Considering two machines are connected with a VPN, you can always run it in a VPN connection if security is that much of a concern.

But for Plex media files, is it really necessary to have too much security? Speed is also an important factor here afterall.