Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DO ToS Change (Warning) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DO ToS Change (Warning)

Comments

• TOR will have a few more nodes soon:)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Can anyone do a ready to use tor image? I am to lazy to put 10 boxes on.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

Puting up an image is not much easier.
    You will still need to edit the config.
    I suggest you make apt sources.list, scp it, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get install, then scp the config file and only change node name and family list

DO traffic is low, though, I suggest freenet or I2P instead.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Infinity580 for Debian Wheezy, setup-tor.sh:

#!/bin/bash

NICKNAME=$1
    DIRPORT=$2
    ORPORT=$3

if [ "$DIRPORT" == "" ]||[ "$ORPORT" == "" ]; then
      echo Usage: ./setup-tor.sh Nickname DirPort ORPort
      exit 1
    fi

echo "deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list

gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 886DDD89
    gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | apt-key add -

apt-get update
    apt-get install deb.torproject.org-keyring tor tor-arm

rm /etc/tor/torrc
    echo "DisableDebuggerAttachment 0" >> /etc/tor/torrc
    echo "ORPort $ORPORT"              >> /etc/tor/torrc
    echo "Nickname $NICKNAME"          >> /etc/tor/torrc
    echo "DirPort $DIRPORT"            >> /etc/tor/torrc
    echo "ExitPolicy reject *:*"       >> /etc/tor/torrc

/etc/init.d/tor restart
    Thanked by 1Maounique
  • DO , remind me about my account which locked forever because abuse complaint.

• @newbiemasih said:
    DO , remind me about my account which locked forever because abuse complaint.

So what did you do or not do in order to get your account "locked forever"?

• @Jar said:
    Or walked a mile through snow for the first time in his life ;) haha

Just checked the page on my phone, shows me a mobile view with random faces scattered around the page, guess I'll have to look tomorrow on a computer... ;)

And congrats @Jar and good luck, hope they realize how valuable you are there!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Infinity580 said:
    Can anyone do a ready to use tor image? I am to lazy to put 10 boxes on.

Don't forget Terraform: https://terraform.io/docs/providers/do/index.html

• Well atleast I know my next box to torrent massive amounts of por... Uhmmm "Linux ISO's" :)

• According to a DigitalOcean customer support representative the GitHub promotional credit will not expire as long as you continue using it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TehEnforce said:
    Well atleast I know my next box to torrent massive amounts of por... Uhmmm "Linux ISO's" :)

Dude I'm like right...here ;) lol

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @dennisd you sure?

• @arpanjot said:
    dennisd you sure?

Yes, that's exactly what the support representative told me. Maybe you should create a ticket asking the same question, just to be 100% sure.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • thanks

• I opened a ticket. Redeemed promotion is lost.

@arpanjot said:
    dennisd you sure?

edited March 2015

@dragon1993 said:
    I opened a ticket. Redeemed promotion is lost.

You have at least a year to use it, if not more depending on when you redeemed it. Anything redeemed prior to March 6, 2015 will expire on March 6, 2016. Credit received from referring someone else will not expire. Feedback is definitely appreciated, feel free to share it in a ticket. To me, personally, it seems extremely reasonable. I mean why let it just sit there for over a year if it has any actual value to you? Spin up a VPS and join the fun :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited March 2015

Jar said: Anything redeemed prior to March 6, 2014 will expire on March 6, 2015.

Surely you meant 15 and 16?

Jar said: I mean why let it just sit there for over a year if it has any actual value to you?

Because people were foolish enough to save the credit for later, because they had some other VPSes and servers for the moment. Then they wake up one day and find it all was in vain, and they were basically robbed of something valuable they thought was theirs for good.

Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone is going to preload much credit to DO accounts anymore. Who knows if next they will introduce expiration of user's balance in general.

Thanked by 2jar aglodek
    edited March 2015

@rm_ said:
    Surely you meant 15 and 16?

Yep. Man, it's still 1999 in my head ;) haha

edited March 2015

rm_ said: Come to think of it, I wonder if anyone is going to preload much credit to DO accounts anymore. Who knows if they will introduce expiration of user's balance in general.

:)

Let's be reasonable though. I mean, do you really think it's reasonable to assume that any respectable company would make paid deposits expire? You and I both know that promotional credit and paid deposits are on an entirely different level.

But I do mean it... share feedback in a ticket. Your voice is heard :)

• blackblack Member

DO is my go to provider for testing in different environments, but being forced to use my credits, I'm not sure if that can be the case. Maybe I'll get a cheap yearly ovz just so I can os reinstall and test. Oh well.

Jar said: do you really think it's reasonable to assume that any respectable company would make paid deposits expire?

Certainly I don't want to give you any further ideas, or to support your definition of DO as a "respectable" company after this episode, but there's indeed quite a lot of companies in the telecom, mobile, ISP and even (online)banking industries which have a small print condition in their contracts that inactive accounts start to incur a hefty monthly fee until the balance reaches zero, basically designed to burn any remaining credit and close down the account.

Thanked by 2Maounique alexvolk
  • btw does DO charge for bandwidth overage now?

• @Jar said:
    do you really think it's reasonable to assume that any respectable company would make paid deposits expire?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/01/skype_settlement.html

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2015

@deadbeef said:

Dang, that's just not right!

I still never expect it. Call me old fashioned, but I always believe that most people mean well. If someone does something you disagree with, I think you should always approach them and tell them. Just assuming that everyone is out to get you...that's just not what I call a happy life. Maybe I'm naive, but I wake up with a smile and I set out every morning to make someone else's day better :)

Thanked by 2deadbeef ehab
    edited March 2015

Jar said: that's just not right!

Jar said: I still never expect it

Oh okay so finally now you understand our point. The "promotional" credit was never any different in the billing panel than paid credit. Never had any hint that it may expire, was just summed with the total balance, etc.

Jar said: I wake up with a smile

Good for you then.

Thanked by 2jar aglodek
    edited March 2015

rm_ said: Oh okay so finally now you understand our point. The "promotional" credit was never any different in the billing panel than paid credit. Never had any hint that it may expire, was just summed with the total balance, etc.

I certainly understand what you mean, and I appreciate you sharing :)

rm_ said: Good for you then.

I kind of read that as sarcasm, just because I've observed your posting style so much. If I did something to offend you I apologize.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@Jar:

@rm_ said: The "promotional" credit was never any different in the billing panel than paid credit. Never had any hint that it may expire, was just summed with the total balance, etc.

+1 this.

I have no quarrel with DO's new terms. Yes, they are reasonable. This said, existing credit, whatever the source, should have been grandfathered in.

EDIT: Whether intentional or not, not doing so has cost DO a whale of goodwill with existing clients for very little return - since most people will make sure to burn through credit and are unlikely to add any more. Not to mention stop promoting DO's service (i.e. considering it too risky due to DO's locked-in affiliate terms). I was banking on DO's very attractive, if locked-in, affiliate program myself. Not sure about this anymore. Will have to look for other alternatives now.

Speaking of terms, one other thing you might want to specify: the order in which different kinds of credit are used up to pay for services, i.e FIFO, FILO, promo credit, affiliate commission credit first, or what?

Thanked by 2jar rm_
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

aglodek said: the order in which different kinds of credit are used up to pay for services, i.e FIFO, FILO, promo credit, reseller commission credit first, or what?

Assume the worst and think promotional credit is used last. Otherwise there would have not been much point in introducing this change. You cannot choose which to use so...

• earlearl Member

what about the promotional credit that we got for like black friday and dokku from like 2013 will those expire too?