Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS with FreeBSD Operating System - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS with FreeBSD Operating System

2»

Comments

• @Maounique said:

I got irked by the "superior" attitude of the "BSD admin" more worthy than the linux one.

Sorry no. You got irked by your subjective perception of what you thought I meant.

I do not think that linux admins are worse than FreeBSD admins. But I think that there are way more linux admins than FreeBSD admins and I think that the vast majority of provider admins are linux admins (and some are just "me too" copy shops).

Of course clients create trouble, of course a shocking percentage of them knows about as much about linux as cows know about dancing tango. But then, tough luck, that's your business.

The question I had in mind was "do you really want even more trouble?", let alone "do you want uglier trouble?", considering that most providers don't have that much FreeBSD know-how?

And what for? Virtually every FreeBSD user is perfectly happy to have a CD image available and to be left alone.

Offering templates with funny icons will attract what funny icons always attract: lots of incompetent fumblers (not only but lots of them). It will attract lots of linux users who already cost more in support time than the worth of their products margin and who are feeling ready for their next adventure. But FreeBSD support time will be more costly to most providers. So, offering templates for FreeBSD VPS basically comes down to asking "Could you kindly make me lose more money on support?".

Why do I know that? Cause I'm a friendly guy helping out in a major FreeBSD forum and such I've seen many many mindless questions. Now, multiply this because that's your template clients and to make it worse they'll have to admin through SSH rather than by clicking.
    Will they say "Thanks"? Forget it. They will complain that your panel doesn't have an audio volume button. I know blonder and curvier ways to burn money.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@bsdguy said: No matter linux or FreeBSD, who tells you that all them templates at diverse hosters set up something roughly equal?

Point. Good enough though for testing stuff out. For production purposes, I plan to start out with an ISO install, then take a snapshot to make my own custom template. Most providers I've consulted with, will be happy to set it up for me. Best of both worlds ;)

As for the "oh so evil setup" of FreeBSD: It's about as simple as a linux, say debian setup. As for the "PITA to setup applications": Pardon me, you tell BS. Usually the difference is that of "apt-get install ABC" vs. "pkg install ABC".

Thanks for setting me straight then ;) It's been close to a decade since I'd played with BSD, specifically OpenBSD. That one used to be a little more involved than what you've described here, as I remember it. But maybe that's just me, a quarter-ass sysadmin, if I may misuse the word here for brevity's sake ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

bsdguy said: So, offering templates for FreeBSD VPS basically comes down to asking "Could you kindly make me lose more money on support?".

Only minimal templates (kernel, basic libraries and ssh) will not get you into much trouble. If the people manage to install whatever they need there, then they are competent enough, not more, nor less than the majority of the users.

As for the cost of the support, well, tough luck, we make it abundantly clear that the service is unmanaged, if they cannot handle it, not our fault. I do step in to rescue people after botched updates, for example, but that only if i fee(l) like it and they ask nicely.

• @Maounique said:
    If the people manage to install whatever they need there, then they are competent enough, not more, nor less than the majority of the users.

If people manage to install whatever they need there, they'll also manage to install FreeBSD using its pretty simple nice installer.

Difference is twofold: template offers less options and from a template to asking "Where is my panel?" is just a single simple step.

Whatever. Again: Do as you please but don't tell me that templates and click-me icons don't attract brain-deads.

How about something really sensible, namely a way to mount my own CD image? Because that, coming back to your "dozens of servers" argument, is the proper way and would be a valuable differentiator.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

bsdguy said: How about something really sensible, namely a way to mount my own CD image?

www.iwstack.com

We also developing a simple version with local storage and our own panel only, powered by xenserver. It will probably be offered under the xenpower brand. Unlike our other XenPower will have HVM and own iso available as well.