Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS suspended and need advice for new VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS suspended and need advice for new VPS?

rebelrebel Member
edited August 2011 in Help

Hi,
i have a vps with 1.5gb ram, with a host, and now they suspended my account for high resource usage,its a openvz vps,
And iam really tired immediately i moved to a shared host,not to let my site down,and after 24hrs they said the same and the site is down now,i get 10k visitors a day,and its a wordpress site with w3 cache plugin enabled and i have a good theme with less images etc,finally i dont have plugins more than 10.
Still i dont understand why my site is using more resources.

Can some body give me a suggestion what should i do now? should i go for a dedi or a xen vps will be suitable for me ?
if a vps suits my need then i need a semi-managed vps.please post your suggestions,

my site is down now,i need quick suggestions pls

rocky

Comments

• Hello,

If you have been "kicked" out 2 times of different providers i recommend you to move into a dedicated server or into a XEN VPS provider with dedicated resources.

You have have a look at linode.com for a XEN VPS.

But if you think you will grow even more you should really upgrade into a dedicated server.

What is your budget and specs for this VPS/Dedicated server?

Thanked by 1WebsHosting
  • im wondering what are you really running on the vps ...

• The most important is optimization. Make sure that your VPS (highly recomend Nginx) and WordPress are both optimized. You should also consider using CloudFlare which actually helps to reduce server load. If that still doesn't help then go for a low end dedicated server.

• @bernardo
    thanks for ur suggestion,i already took a look at linode but they are completely unmanaged,i atleast need assisatance in the initial setup,like control panel etc.so i cant go with linode.
    @Cripperz
    iam not running anything huge lol,i was shocked when my vps provider said they cant handle my site,coz i saw many people here @lowendbox said they are able to run their sites smoothly on a 512vps.
    @ikocka
    i did everything to make my site faster + less load to server(installed cache plugin and database cache plugin too),i heard many rumors regarding cloudflare as it is creating many problems.so i have only one option left only a dedi
    So now iam looking for a lowend dedi with some support.

If any one has any suggestion please suggest me.

• rebelrebel Member
    edited August 2011

hi iam thinking about these three dedi providers.
    1.racksrv
    2.leaseweb
    3.securedservers

can some body tell me which one is more reliable and perfect.
    dont need support as i have planned to take a server management for first month from other provider.
    Thanks

• jhjh Member

A good VPS host should be able to install better caching software for you to reduce the load. I would go for a good quality managed VPS.

• @jtodd
    Thanks for your suggestion,but iam tired with these vps providers,if my site grow after a couple of months atleast at that time i will have to again face this kind of problem.
    so it would be wise to go for a dedi now it self.

• @rebel You can contract someone to do this inital setup or contact a server admin to do this job for you.

Has for dedicated servers i would recommend Leaseweb they have an awesome network and their support is good.

You also have this dedicated servers with lowcost at ovh and hetzner might be worth a look.

• @rebel you mention you need initial help for setting up a control panel?

If youre using cPanel or something similar, a lot of resources go with them, specially since they all run on Apache and php as a module or cgi.

Could you post what are you running and what tweaks have you made to WP?

• @bernardo
    thanks i have already talked to a server admin he is ready.

@thekreek
    hi i know cpanel or DA uses a lot of resources but i cant use the server with out em,iam not good at linux.

iam using wordpress latest version,all latest version plugins
    and a couple of sites and they all are in starting stage just 50users.
    but the main wordpress site gets 10-12k a day.
    it has in total 8 plugins installed.
    installed w3tc cache and setup its setting properly.
    using database cache plugin to reduce load to database(php calls).
    using Yslow i tested the site and its graded B and overall score is 80.
    and the theme is also seo and speed optimised coz it has very less images,javascript and css.
    using another plugin to remove post revisions and auto drafts reguarly.
    and regularly i go to phpmyadmin and optimize the database.
    if i use any widgets in the sidebar,i will first get the widgets javafiles or css downloaded to my server,so everytime it wont call the other server.
    so i dont think i can do any more optimizing.
    you feel i should do more optimizing ?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Might I suggest Interserver.net? They have an awesome price for their Intel Atom servers with cPanel and their support is top notch.

• I'm going to go in a totally different direction as the rest as you need something to scale with you. As you've said, what if your site continutes to grow, well fine, and you are goign to get better hardware behind your staying with a VPS then a small low end dedi. The only question that has been asked here several times that you have not answers is your budget, but I suspect your budget is quiite high with this much blog traffic, and if it isn't, why?

Anyway, onto my suggestion. Use OpenVZ for your cPanel hosting and you can scale up ram quite easily to support all these views with added apache processes. Then put MySQL onto a Xen/KVM VPS with the same provider. But pick a better provider out of the choices who uses higher end gear and activly manages their nodes so you know you'll get the added value from them helping you along with your growth and knowing when it is time to throw more resources at either side. I do mostly VPS now, but for years my bread and butter has been high resource hosting with very MySQL intense sites, but rarely were they blogs, more of the small search engines and large forums, but lately I've been seeing more blog publishers as well, and this method has been working very well, and I think you'll have your site on much better hardware under the hood then you would with a small dedi.

Thanked by 1LowEndAdmin
  • thekreekthekreek Member
    edited August 2011

Take a look at TekTonic they have good plans and the cPanel option its not too expensive.

Also, have you try cPnginx its a module for using Nginx on cPanel. There is also another alternative called Nginxcp

and have you try out an PHP accelerator APC on cPanel howto

• @rebel

what kind of plugin that installed on your wordpress?
    Is it wpbot or something similar?

• I think the issue here is that you are not familiar with Linux, server administration and optimization. I can fully understand that -- who has time for all that :) Although the advice given in this forum would be more biased towards finely optimized low end boxes.

If you are willing to learn, then going 1GB memory is a lot for WordPress sites. Things you can do:

• Move to Nginx and run PHP using FastCGI. Install opcode cache such as eAccelerator or XCache.
    • Increase amount of key buffers on your MySQL server (assuming you are running MyISAM). Or move to InnoDB (although I doubt there's much benefit for mostly-read applications such as WordPress)
    • Do page cache for anonymous users into memcached or Redis. Some WordPress caching plugins might support that.

Basically you are trading memory for CPU time, as 1GB is really a lot for WordPress sites. There are heaps of things you can do, but most of them would require you to get your hands dirty.

Otherwise, find a good scalable shared hosting and let them take care everything for you. Sorry can't help on that.

• Have a talk with MDDHosting on WHT they have good reviews and have made special arrangments on the past for high load sites.

Even if their shared hosting its limited, they could help you with a VPS.

Another good shared host, that I have used its WebFaction.

• hmmm...

As many of people is recommending you xen or mini server, I might give you the same suggestion.

Where as you need optimization too as the admin says, you can also use cloud linux if you're a noob to optimize, but for that you need a xen vps or dedicated server.

So see what suits you much.

thanks

• Isn't cloudlinux more for shared hosting?

• @WebsHosting: Lol, CloudLinux is meant for shared hosting to limit resource usage per account in order to prevent server overloading.

• jhjh Member

iKocka said: CloudLinux is meant for shared hosting to limit resource usage per account in order to prevent server overloading.

Correct

I recommended a VPS with better CPU allowances and the Varnish cache, which in my experience is both the easiest to maintain and the most effective.

• Yes cloud linux is for shared hosting though he/she can use with vps to limit his recourse usage of sites and better get it slowed rather then getting it suspended.

Regards

• Hi,
    Sorry i didnt update my thread was busy with new server,So i didnt try another vps and i dont want to loose more traffic,so i got a dedi now with a quad core,4gb ram,but u know what? my site is still consuming more ram.
    Now i've talked to a server admin and he said he can install nginx and he said the eaccelerator or apc doesnt help that much,so he suggested me varnish :-p
    @pepaya-Nope i aint using wprobot,and secondly i observed w3tc cache plugin is really making the site faster but eating up a lot of ram.
    i will give more update once everything is finished.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2011

Are you actually using all the ram on the dedi or is the buffers and caches confusing you?

as a test, is this VPS using 92mb or 41mb?

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           122         92         29          0          5         46
    -/+ buffers/cache:         41         81
    Swap:          258          0        258