Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr giving $100 for 60 days - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr giving $100 for 60 days

2»

Comments

• trvztrvz Member

Vultr - for everyone who wants to spend exactly 7 USD each month.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

kcaj said: Are you proposing the high-tier plans at Vultr are purely for show?

I "propose" that anyone paying for a VPS more expensive than a dedicated server with tenfold better specs is a bit damaged in the head.

@kcaj you're now the biggest fan of Vultr? Didn't they ban you from their IRC channel, etc.

• trvztrvz Member

rm_ said: I "propose" that anyone paying for a VPS more expensive than a dedicated server with tenfold better specs is a bit damaged in the head.

I'd agree for my personal use, but I can see the appeal of having more resources at hourly billing.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@trvz said:
    I'd agree for my personal use, but I can see the appeal of having more resources at hourly billing.

Same here, I can see situations where deploying something over at vultr for a short period would be more cost effective (and quicker) than deploying a Dedi for at least a month.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • J1021J1021 Member

rm_ said: I "propose" that anyone paying for a VPS more expensive than a dedicated server with tenfold better specs is a bit damaged in the head.

Really? Vultr, Linode, DigitalOcean and others all think they're onto something and they're all doing pretty well.

@kcaj you're now the biggest fan of Vultr? Didn't they ban you from their IRC channel, etc.

They did. However, Vultr is going from strength to strength and I've managed to pick up my toys and get on with it.

edited March 2015

kcaj said: Linode, DigitalOcean and others all think they're onto something and they're all doing pretty well.

The DO website plainly lists the $10 plan as being the "Most popular". You do not have any factual data to show that the "more expensive than a dedi" VPSes constitute any significant portion of orders whatsoever at DO or Linode. No, anecdotal hearsay like you have about Vultr is not enough. Oh and I will not trust any stats that Dave may choose to provide, as in context of this thread he has an incentive to misrepresent the situation to support his point.

• @rm_ said:
    Vultr is not a large host like DO or Linode, they can't afford doing promos that would be even half-way generous, so all of their coupons or specials always have crappy conditions like that attached.

That doesn't have to do with size, but with the way they seem to be funded and how long they've been doing this. DO gets insane amounts of investments from outside investors and Linode's been in this game a lot longer. Vultr, for as far as I know, is mostly funded privately (or through loans from banks?). So the comparison is a little bit off, if you don't mind me saying.

Besides, Vultr, like Linode, has been generous to existing customers as well usually doubling their payments (up to a certain amount) during promotions like this.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • J1021J1021 Member

rm_ said: The DO website plainly lists the $10 plan as being the "Most popular". You do not have any factual data to show that the "more expensive than a dedi" VPSes constitute any significant portion of orders whatsoever at DO or Linode. No, anecdotal hearsay like you have about Vultr is not enough. Oh and I will not trust any stats that Dave may choose to provide, as in context of this thread he has an incentive to misrepresent the situation to support his point.

I can demonstrate that some of the high-tier Vultr plans are currently sold out due to high demand.

Which is a lot more than you've presented to substantiate the following comment. DigitalOcean may well mark their $10 plan as being "most popular", but that is no admission or hint that the rest of their product line is used by none, nor does it render this latest promotion from Vultr "completely useless".

rm_ said: Because they know nobody needs $50/mo VPSes

The multi-core series at Vultr are hosted on host nodes specifically maintained for that product line. If the plans weren't selling, Vultr wouldn't bother as it'd be an unnecessary logistical headache.

edited March 2015

kcaj said: some of the high-tier Vultr plans are currently sold out due to high demand.

That only means they don't have enough RAM and disk space in "one piece" on any of the nodes. I.e. nothing at all.

kcaj said: hosted on host nodes specifically maintained for that product line

And it shows this is only available in one location and not 14. Could be just one or two nodes, for all you know.

• Their high performance series gives really good scores in UnixBench. They have the 1, 2 and 4 place on my Top20 list. It took two years (maybe three) before somebody took the 1.place from Soladrive.com

• BarisBaris Member

People who do 3D rendering / video encoding etc. will love this promo using the high performance series.

Thank you vultr!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Vultr's strengths :

1)wide range of geographic locations

2) zero IO bottleneck due to SSD

3) speedy E3 cpus that don't seem to be artificially crippled like other cloud hosts.

4) REST API for automated provisioning

My $100 of credit is sitting there waiting for a day when I'll need to quickly spin up some traffic tankers for a client who gets swamped in a particular geography .

IMO you shouldn't treat vultr like your typical virtual private server, but more like superb value-for-money EC2 instances(assume ephemeral storage if the RAID situation is still unclear)

Remember the early days of AWS when they didn't have EBS? (along with all the teething troubles of a massive home-built SAN)

• "The Free Trial Special is Over"

Thanked by 1teppeikun
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited March 2015

rm_ said: Vultr is not a large host like DO or Linode, they can't afford doing promos that would be even half-way generous, so all of their coupons or specials always have crappy conditions like that attached.

I'm afraid you might not be aware of how large of a business Choopa really is. The size difference between Choopa (Vultr's mother company) and DO is rather significant.

mpkossen said: That doesn't have to do with size, but with the way they seem to be funded and how long they've been doing this. DO gets insane amounts of investments from outside investors and Linode's been in this game a lot longer. Vultr, for as far as I know, is mostly funded privately (or through loans from banks?). So the comparison is a little bit off, if you don't mind me saying.

^^ This!

Thanked by 1vimalware