Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow Connection When Tunneling using DigitalOcean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slow Connection When Tunneling using DigitalOcean

JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

I tried squid and ssh tunneling, connection speed is only a few kBps. Even opening google took minutes.
I tried wget from the server and got mBps speed. But why it give me slow connection when tunneling through it?
I tried tunneling using servers from online.net and some other providers, I can get up to 1mBps download speed..
The weird things is, I had 2 droplet from DO and a few days back, both of them give slow speed at the same time.. I reinstalled but still the speed just a few kBps.

Comments

• Have you thought about contacting their support about the issue?

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Where you tunneling from?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You should run a ping/traceroute from you to the droplet, then from the droplet to the location that you are trying to reach when noticing slow performance. The problem will most likely be found in these details. You can post them here or open a ticket :)

• @Rallias said:
    Have you thought about contacting their support about the issue?

I searched the internet and found a post on a forum. He recommend OP to do a simple wget. I did. He asked OP to contact DO if the wget had drop inthe speed. But wget from my droplet got a pretty good speed. The speed drop when I Tunneling through the droplet either by SSH or squid.

• @PhotonVPS said:
    Where you tunneling from?

From Malaysia, if that you meant for you question

• @Jar said:
    You should run a ping/traceroute from you to the droplet, then from the droplet to the location that you are trying to reach when noticing slow performance. The problem will most likely be found in these details. You can post them here or open a ticket :)

OK. I will try now

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Check your MTU. The Debian kernel I had when I last set up a new VPN suffered from MTU collapse. See the bottom of our page on Tunnels (https://www.x4b.net/kb/Tunnels) for more information on tunnel collapse.

• is this recently ?

Because Malaysia had issues with their international link (not sure already fixed or not). Then all traffic is re-route through Singapore. This causing bottleneck.

Not only DO Singapore affected. Same goes to Amazon AWS Singapore. I read some of them move their DO/AWS to other location first.

However I used to use DO for ssh tunnelling, not that satisfied with the speed. So I just stick with BuyVM one.

• @Jar I dont really know how to read this result, whether it is ok or not.

C:\Users\GM>tracert 128.199.152.43

Tracing route to 128.199.152.43 over a maximum of 30 hops

1   387 ms   364 ms   398 ms  10.35.122.17
      2   487 ms   528 ms   547 ms  172.18.187.129
      3   342 ms   578 ms   298 ms  172.18.189.2
      4   342 ms   307 ms   309 ms  172.31.3.225
      5   678 ms   718 ms   718 ms  103.1.133.5
      6   333 ms   333 ms   338 ms  103.1.135.250
      7   273 ms   268 ms   267 ms  p133165.sgw.equinix.com [202.79.197.201]
      8   313 ms   276 ms   308 ms  103.253.144.238
      9   668 ms   648 ms   667 ms  128.199.152.43

Trace complete.

C:\Users\GM>ping 128.199.152.43

Pinging 128.199.152.43 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 128.199.152.43: bytes=32 time=251ms TTL=54
    Reply from 128.199.152.43: bytes=32 time=254ms TTL=54
    Reply from 128.199.152.43: bytes=32 time=254ms TTL=54
    Reply from 128.199.152.43: bytes=32 time=245ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 128.199.152.43:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 245ms, Maximum = 254ms, Average = 251ms

• @SplitIce said:
    Check your MTU. The Debian kernel I had when I last set up a new VPN suffered from MTU collapse. See the bottom of our page on Tunnels (https://www.x4b.net/kb/Tunnels) for more information on tunnel collapse.

I never had this problem for about 2months.. This happened just a few days back. Both my DO droplet had slow connection when tunneling through them. I even destroy and create new droplet, still same issue.

• @maelzx said:
    is this recently ?

Because Malaysia had issues with their international link (not sure already fixed or not). Then all traffic is re-route through Singapore. This causing bottleneck.

Not only DO Singapore affected. Same goes to Amazon AWS Singapore. I read some of them move their DO/AWS to other location first.

However I used to use DO for ssh tunnelling, not that satisfied with the speed. So I just stick with BuyVM one.

Should I contact them? I got a few other servers around for ssh tunneling and squid proxy, but still I need those Singapore location

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

psycholyzern said: I dont really know how to read this result

Sending you a PM :)

• @psycholyzern said:
    Should I contact them? I got a few other servers around for ssh tunneling and squid proxy, but still I need those Singapore location

I think the problem is DO itself, and then DiGi. When I last run a SG DO droplet, it cannot even download a 1.5MB file (PolarSSL source code), without failing at 50-60% mark. Dropped packet is also common at huge parts of the day.

Then, you are also using DiGi. Only masochists use them.

• @psycholyzern said:

you can contact them, but if the connection from My to SG bottleneck, what can they do?