Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Amazon EC2 secured enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Amazon EC2 secured enough?

sktanmoysktanmoy Member
edited September 2012 in General

Is Amazon EC2 secured enough than LEBs? I need your suggestion.

Comments

• @sktanmoy Care to elaborate a bit more?

• @vpsnodebox said: Care to elaborate a bit more?

1. Data security. A few days ago I took a 1GB/40GB box from a LEB provider. Their server was crashed, all data was lost. They had backup which was older than a week, so I lost huge data of transactions of my customers
    2. DDos protection etc.

1. Amazon S3 will be more reliable than anything a LEB provider can offer

2. I guess as long as you pay for the traffic they won't mind a DDoS, their network is big enough.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yes.

• sktanmoysktanmoy Member
    edited September 2012

Thanks for your reply :)

• @sktanmoy said: A few days ago I took a 1GB/40GB box from a LEB provider. Their server was crashed, all data was lost. They had backup which was older than a week, so I lost huge data of transactions of my customers

Where were your backup?

• @sktanmoy Never used them before, but having built more exotic server configurations for customers with big pockets I can tell you that these big companies have the money to build large & expensive dual parity RAID-6 arrays with hot spares and RAID-60 arrays. With something like that chances that you will loose your data are pretty darn close to nil.

• Amazon services are technically more secure than most providers, but you can still lose your data by making a mistake. The Amazon VPS administration interface is complex and you need to understand all the implications. Some VPS instances have local non-persistent storage, if you close the instance you lose the data on the disk. You could be billed an extraordinary amount (upward of 1000 USD) for a simple DDoS, so you need to understand the alert/payment system and configure everything at your like. Amazon is definitely geared torwards advanced users, and the hardware is often a bit old.
    If you simply need more reliability there are many alternatives, maybe at lower cost.

• @pcan said: You could be billed an extraordinary amount (upward of 1000 USD) for a simple DDoS

OMG! my yearly budget is lower that that :S

• With EC2 you can easily clone disks from a GUI. But as others said, onus is on you to plan/make actual backups....