Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some opinion and suggestion.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some opinion and suggestion.

Hi,

I need some opinion and suggestion from members here regarding to start selling vps. I want to offer MY location at this moment. Also, i'll start with buy dedicated server first, because price to buy server hardware in here seem expensive. Does this location have market?

Really appreciate your help.

thanks!

Comments

• What location are you talking about?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

smartcard said: What location are you talking about?

About HIS location :)

• i think he meant Malaysia

• Sorry.

Location will be at Malaysia.

• @myshahrul said:
    Sorry.

Location will be at Malaysia.

You are the best person to study your market, I am doubtful that many of the members here don't have idea about the Asia market. if you have a market then you need to plan what are you going to provide Premium or Budget. Remember hosting business is very competitive and if you are not technical you need to hire them that cost money in addition to your Dedi servers. Good luck

• @smartcard said:
    You are the best person to study your market, I am doubtful that many of the members here don't have idea about the Asia market. if you have a market then you need to plan what are you going to provide Premium or Budget. Remember hosting business is very competitive and if you are not technical you need to hire them that cost money in addition to your Dedi servers. Good luck

Hi,

thanks for you input regarding this. Im not tech guy, but i got friend to do tech if we start selling vps. So im trying to provide Budget vps first.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@myshahrul: here are a few thoughts for starters:

• Location: MY is a very interesting location. This said, there is strong competition in Singapore. DC/upstream providers selection is critical and can make or break the new venture. Make sure your ASIAN international network is very good. Target and pay special attention to connectivity to China, India, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam (literally half the world's population with corresponding number of small businesses plus very rapid growth).

• Virtualization: suggest offering KVM's or Xen HVM's as opposed to OpenVZ.

• Cloud: assuming your friend can tackle this, go with a Cloud hosting back end and CP, as opposed to SolusVM. Then capitalize on that by offering add-on options like snapshots (including export and import thereof), installs from custom ISO's, IP failover, floating IP's etc.

• Low end: consider offering LEB's starting with 128MB or 256MB. This would fill an empty niche, assuming you can secure PI (provider independent) IPv4's and offer said LEB's at a price level competitive to the smallest 512MB VM's by DO etc.

Good luck with your new venture!

EDIT: suggest you modify the title of this thread to better reflect the subject (e.g. "Seek advice on setting up a new VPS provider in Malaysia").

Thanked by 2myshahrul obh_ridwan
  • @aglodek said:
    myshahrul: here are a few thoughts for starters:

• Location: MY is a very interesting location. This said, there is strong competition in Singapore. DC/upstream providers selection is critical and can make or break the new venture. Make sure your ASIAN international network is very good. Target and pay special attention to connectivity to China, India, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam (literally half the world's population with corresponding number of small businesses plus very rapid growth).

• Virtualization: suggest offering KVM's or Xen HVM's as opposed to OpenVZ.

• Cloud: assuming your friend can tackle this, go with a Cloud hosting back end and CP, as opposed to SolusVM. Then capitalize on that by offering add-on options like snapshots (including export and import thereof), installs from custom ISO's, IP failover, floating IP's etc.

• Low end: consider offering LEB's starting with 128MB or 256MB. This would fill an empty niche, assuming you can secure PI (provider independent) IPv4's and offer said LEB's at a price level competitive to the smallest 512MB VM's by DO etc.

Good luck with your new venture!

EDIT: suggest you modify the title of this thread to better reflect the subject (e.g. "Seek advice on setting up a new VPS provider in Malaysia").

thanks @aglodek for some advice. for starting, i dont think i can do cloud, seem use much money. will try budget 1st and see in the future.

thanks!

• You need to compare your competitors, as far i know exabytes is one of the main players in malaysia.

• rokokrokok Member

i believe there is many players on MY just like any east asian country, but most of them not LEB price (maybe because mostly provide manage vps or license panel bundle), just provide kvm, with ssd and UNmanage vps/cloud you could take some benefit on MY market

• @zappera1 said:
    You need to compare your competitors, as far i know exabytes is one of the main players in malaysia.

Correct, as u know, exabytes target seem for medium-high end market. Im planning to target for low-end market.

@rokok said:
    i believe there is many players on MY just like any east asian country, but most of them not LEB price (maybe because mostly provide manage vps or license panel bundle), just provide kvm, with ssd and UNmanage vps/cloud you could take some benefit on MY market

thanks for you advice. That why im planning to target LEB price. still looking which provider to use.

thanks!