Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup provider with particular needs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup provider with particular needs

Hi, I'm willing to have a backup provider which:
-Does multiple copies of my info ( and makes me sure they won't loose my files like mega did with my free account).
-Doesn't dig either if I backup a .torrent file or whatever.
-Has the option of starting free ( with something like 25 gigs) and then be able to expand and start paying.
-Should have a nice linux and win client.
-Upload speeds shouldn't suck as Hubic does.
- Does not cost an arm and a leg.
-Allows me to hotlink some directories files ( just like dropbox).
-Should accept paypal as the mean of payment as well as cc.

Appreciate it.

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

said: and makes me sure they won't loose my files like mega did with my free account

pls elaborate

• The file names and directories were there but I could not download anything I've previously uploaded.

• colmcolm Member

You could have a look at SpiderOak. It includes both a backup and sync service. I think it covers all your points but you'll want to test it to make sure.

It comes with 2 GB free and if you sign up via a referral you get 1 GB extra, here's mine: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/a225c9c270541bab95d0161450e64161

There's also a coupon code worldbackupday, which adds a few extra free GB. Not sure if it's still active though.

• DevilDevil Member

CrashPlan?

They offer a trial period. Don't know whether you are storing a nuclear bomb recipe or a exquisite pasta recipe for that matter - it's encrypted on your machine. It will backup whatever you want, wherever it's kept on your machine - whatever the size. Yes, it's versioned - as many as you want. Upload speeds are good - if you are in the first world it should be better - their servers are there.

I paid by card (I had paid for 4 years in one go so I am not sure about PP - check with them). I am a happy customer for last 2.5 years. Their (Win/Lin/Mac) client sucks balls! Yes, that's pathetic, it's an ugly, bulky Java software (before some Java lover pounces upon me - I earn my living as an Android dev).

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2015

colm said: There's also a coupon code worldbackupday, which adds a few extra free GB. Not sure if it's still active though.

It still does. You get an extra 3gb.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I can provide 100 go network storage the offer is named ikeepincloud.
    It is multi os and multi protocols .
    First month is free then it is charged 5.53$/month.
    You can extend the storage up to 1TB on the customer UI.
    For more you'll need to open a ticket or call sales department.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Devil said: CrashPlan?

I cannot begin to say how disappointed I was for crashplan. I have at least 5+ MB/s in all "first world" areas which is at least 40 mb/s, yet, at crashplan (paid for Family+ plan) would be like 0.5 mb with peaks close to 1 mb/s and after a while it would drop and insist to start over. It is not possible to be 40 times lower than my slowest speed to neighbouring areas without throttling at their end. Other people reported similar speeds, but I hear they are doing better lately. Nevertheless, the whole year my subscription was active, randomly trying to upload anything would yield the same speeds.

• Does Dropbox sneak peak into what I store? worst file I might accidentally backup is a .torrent as mentioned before.

• DevilDevil Member

inthecloudblog said: Does Dropbox sneak peak into what I store?

I would say yes. Or at least they can w/o any problem. You should be looking for "can" part not the "do" part.

• click4easyclick4easy Member
    edited March 2015