Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experience with TragicServers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Experience with TragicServers

PcNyPcNy Member
edited March 2015 in Providers

Update: I received responses from the staff and appeared that my VPS was compromised and disabled (maybe due to security reason). I have reinstalled the OS and suspension was revoked.

Yesterday I purchased a LA node from TragicServers. Intended to use SSH tunneling just for gaming cause it provides Asian Optimized IP.

Today my VPS got suspended without any warning and notification. I waited for hour thinking it's just incidental downtime and it could go back up online soon. Waited for too long, I decided to open a ticket to ask about it. They replied me that they suspended my VPS cause I got too many SSH connection. I replied that is not possible since I didn't share my VPS with others. They didn't explain more about it and I feel like they don't even care (The way they reply in ticket, short and insensitive - no greeting even I did). At this point I feel very bad. I am using VPS with several providers but this one is the worst I have experienced.

• I don't think I would know they suspended it if I didn't open a ticket.

• At the moment, no further contact or explanation is received.

Here is what I did with the VPS:

• Reinstalled Debian 7 minimal after that do the necessary apt-get update, upgrade and dist-upgrade.

• Installed NodeQuery script to monitor the server.

• Created a guest user for myself for SSH tunneling purpose.

And all I use is SSH tunneling with PuTTY using that guest account (no fancy stuff installed, even webserver or whatever, CPU and RAM usage was very low everytime I checked). I stopped for a while and came back to it and found that they suspended my VPS.

Feel so bad, but on the bright side I didn't purchased annual plan with them.

Comments

• Can you change the title to "Tragic experience with TragicServers" please :)

Thanked by 2PcNy ehab
  • PcNyPcNy Member
    edited March 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Can you change the title to "Tragic experience with TragicServers" please :)

Done, thank you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends what too many ssh connections mean. If too many outgoing, then that might be a case of hacked VM due to weak password or no updates applied which is looking for vulnerabilities elsewhere. If incoming, that cannot be helped much, though, but I guess it is the first kind.
    Did you update it immediately after purchase? How strong was your password?

Thanked by 1PcNy
  • IshaqIshaq Member

They shouldn't blame/suspend customers because their IP ranges are constantly being probed by bots, instead they should have a firewall at a network level to prevent it or at least add a software firewall to their templates.

Even if it's NodeWatch that disabled your container, it doesn't excuse them not explaining and resolving the problem for you, the customer.

The end.

Thanked by 2PcNy Mark_R
  • edited March 2015
  • NdhaNdha Member

I had 256mb vm with Tragic almost 5 months, ALL is fine, good network, support etc.

I use for Squid Proxy, Softheter vpn, VNC Viewer and SSH Tunneling too, so my experience is Good :)

• PcNyPcNy Member

I keep refreshing my ticket to see any response. Hope we can work this out together.

Ishaq said: They shouldn't blame/suspend customers because their IP ranges are constantly being probed by bots

It might be the other way around, the vps was suspended because it was probing.
    The lack of reply to my question might hint int hat direction.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Maounique said: It might be the other way around, the vps was suspended because it was probing.

I assumed his container was receiving the connections because of this:

PcNy said: they suspended my VPS cause I got too many SSH connection

• PcNyPcNy Member
    edited March 2015

The exact answer I had received was "Your VPS was suspended for 107 SSH connections.".
    I don't know it's incoming or outgoing.

Update: I got a response from them suggesting my VPS might be compromised and should reinstall the OS.

For now I just issued OS reinstall request in OpenVZ but the node is still Offline. I will post the result.

Thank you.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

A freshly installed Debian with all updates, compromised in a day?

4n0nx said: with all updates

Which part of his avoided answer made you believe that?

• tragictragic Member
    edited March 2015

@PcNy I apologize, for some reason I'm not getting LET notifications and wasn't able to respond to you sooner. As mentioned in the support ticket, it's possible your VPS may have been compromised and your VPS should be online now.

In the future, feel free to contact me directly as it will allow me to get this resolved a lot faster for you.

Thanked by 1PcNy
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited March 2015

Maounique said: Which part of his avoided answer made you believe that?

said: Reinstalled Debian 7 minimal after that do the necessary apt-get update, upgrade and dist-upgrade.

Hum, that was no there when i read it.

• Maybe they detected that too many traffic are going via SSH port, so thay misunderstand as your VM got hacked.