Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

51 percent of people believe stormy weather can interfere with cloud computing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

51 percent of people believe stormy weather can interfere with cloud computing

BrandonBrandon Member
edited August 2012 in General

Saw this in Reddit and just had to repost. Any thoughts?

http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/news/news.asp?newsID=2328309

Comments

• That's what they get for using marketing buzz words.

• Saw it on Reddit, TLDR

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Funny, what else can say?

And just wondering, what think the other 49% :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Does that mean 51% of people think LiquidWeb runs a hacking service?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • AWS had already proved it...

• flyfly Member

@klikli said: AWS had already proved it...

i thought this was a joke thread, then realized you guys were actually serious.
    you know that "cloud" isn't magic. it runs on hardware. as such, weather does affect "the cloud"

@fly said: as such, weather does affect "the cloud"

Only if you leave "the cloud" outside. :P

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@Brandon The title says "Most Americans Confused By Cloud Computing According to National Survey" - so not most people, just most Americans. (I am American btw.)

I had to rewrite my comment after reading more into that article. The number of people that they polled is to small for it to be representative of anything.

A product sells best when the consumer is confused about what exactly it does, so all the consumer needs to know is that the product will somehow magically improve his life, his business, make everything somehow better. "Mysterious" products have always sold better, look at Apple for example: before they became more mainstream lots of people thought that a Mac had (near) magical properties, when in fact it was on a par or slower than every other PC.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Well, considering some Amazon AWS region went down due to storms...

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

this is irrelevant because "cloud" is just a buzzword and doesn't mean anything

• Wasn't it Ratspace that first started using the term Cloud Hosting in their marketing matterials? I remember that 2 years ago their website was confusing as hell with everything being Cloud.

The "cloud" used to mean the internet... now it has multiple meanings.

• @KuJoe said: The "cloud" used to mean the internet... now it has multiple meanings.

Some people think the cloud and the internet are separate entities.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I remember a while back I was subscribed to some Photoshop Plugin site, and they emailed everyone on their mailing list that the site would be down for a couple of days due to "Rackspace Server Migration" ... so much for their f-ing cloud.