Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 1,065% ... - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 1,065% ...

124»

Comments

• @rm_ said: Linode is for two classes of people:

1) those who don't know about LEB/LET
    2) those who spend someone else's money (e.g. their company/boss)
    other than these there's no reason to use Linode, from what I hear their reliability and performance are pretty average, something you would not expect to see at such price.

This is completely and utterly wrong.

To think that people wouldn't use Linode because someone offers it cheaper elsewhere is ridiculous. Linode offers something many don't, stability. They are a reliable and stable company. People look for higher prices services all the time because it keeps the rift-raft away. LEB/LET servers are flooded with junk clients. And when you pay someone $3/mo for a server, you expect $3/mo quality.

Some LEB/LET providers are great, but they can't go to someone and say their $3 plan is better than Linodes $20 plan.

I've had 2 Linodes. They were great. I never had a problem with them. And if I had an issue, support typically replied within 5 minutes.

So, I hope this helps you realize that its a bigger world out there outside of just the LEB/LET community.

Thanked by 2Root Chan
  • @speckl said: So, I hope this helps you realize that its a bigger world out there outside of just the LEB/LET community.

There's a world out there?

• @Jack said: I think BuyVM would win against Linode...

Hahaha, no.

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited September 2012

@rm_ said: Linode is for two classes of people:

1) those who don't know about LEB/LET
    2) those who spend someone else's money (e.g. their company/boss)
    other than these there's no reason to use Linode, from what I hear their reliability and performance are pretty average, something you would not expect to see at such price.

"From what I hear"

Kind of silly to make a judgement about a service you're not using, isn't it?

And no offense to LEB providers but I can count on half a hand the LEB providers I would trust enough to host anything remotely mission-critical on.

Thanked by 2Root Chan
  • @Jack said:
    Remember back in March when LET/LEB was on there? Got a little DDoS and got nulled for 24 hours...

nulls are placed for 24 hours to protect the integrity of the network.

• flyfly Member
    edited September 2012

did u read what i said?

oh wait, who am i kidding

• Linode does not run an own network, so of course they have to rely on the host for that - Which means 24h in most cases.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    • We're not in the same league as Linode - no one on these forums are. Company size wise & panel feature wise they got us beat bad. They aren't our target though. Honestly, we don't have a 'company to beat' in mind, we simply sell what we sell and hope people enjoy it. With that being said, though, we work hard to improve our panel and V2 will give us the base we need to bring in a lot of really cool features. There is a few of them that I thought up a few weeks ago that aren't available in any panel, private or otherwise, that will appear in 2.x.

• Our autonull is fully automated. It's possible during the LE floods that Linode had a staffer watching with a tine toothed comb waiting for it to return - no one knows. From what I heard they were very quick to apply nullroutes the 2nd time around, usually before it even got onto graphs.

Francisco

• HW null via the core router (or edge), nothing else is able to mitigate larger floods (portspeed or higher) and i guess they also announce the IP as /32 BGP community to Awknet and Bandcon to have them kill it at the upstream.

Nullroutes are pushed over BGP communities, yep.

We don't push nullroutes to awknet. It isn't a very common thing that I have to get him to nullroute anything.

Francisco

• @Zen said: Only just realized your name is comprised of horrid cereal and Cisco.

Francisco is actually a real name, comes from Spanish.

@MrLabradoodle said: Francisco is actually a real name, comes from Spanish.

Portuguese for me :P

People say it's a very common in Portugal

Francisco

• @avanti said: slow response times

doubtful.jpg

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: Portuguese for me :P

People say it's a very common in Portugal

Francisco

Francesco in Italy, which I think is the root of the spanish/portuguese version is a very common name for the devotion to St. Francesco

@bdtech said: @William is this the general idea?

http://www.he.net/adm/blackhole.html

• You require your own IP space
    • You require your own ASN
    • You require your own router
    • You require your upstreams to even allow it

@kujoe can attest to one of his ISP's claiming to be 'community ready' and 'lol woops its broken, sorry' for a week.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: 'lol woops its broken, sorry' for a week.

I've been in Charlotte for what, 9 months and still no community passed to RoadRunner :( What good is it when you only blackhole 50% of the packets :( And I've been trying for those same 9 months to get the blackhole at least placed onto their router, let them eat it and they will get on RoadRunners ass.

• @Francisco said: You require your own IP space

You require your own ASN
    You require your own router
    You require your upstreams to even allow it

No, actually not - One of my upstreams peers with me on a private ASn and i announce them their static IP space i have assigned from them, so i can do BGP communitys without ASN and IPs to nullroute and control my static assigned IPs from them :)
    (Granted, thats not a normal setup but it works)

@William said: No, actually not - One of my upstreams peers with me on a private ASn and i announce them their static IP space i have assigned from them, so i can do BGP communitys without ASN and IPs to nullroute and control my static assigned IPs from them :)

(Granted, thats not a normal setup but it works)

Very derpy for sure and I'm not really found any providers that would want to work like this :)

Francisco