Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get networking working on KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get networking working on KVM?

pikzpikz Member
edited August 2012 in Help

I am installing Ubuntu 12.04 on KVM, but during the installation process it tells me that no default route was set: the system does not know how to communicate with hosts on the Internet.

If I continue without a default route, it asks for a name server address, what should I enter here? The IP number of the machine? When I did that, then nothing really happened after that besides showing a blank screen.

I tried Windows too, but the networking was not connected to the internet.

What should I do?

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Contact your host?

Thanked by 1Asim
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Name Server : 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
    IP : Ask the Host what IP you have been assigned.
    Gateway details will also be needed from the host..

Thanked by 1Asim
  • pikzpikz Member

Ok, thanks.

So I have the host IP, Netmask, Gateway, DNS1 and DNS2.

How do I change the networking in Windows 2008 to use these details?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Right click on the adapter, go to configuration and configure the ipv4 in there. I do think that something is wrong with your host, as it should asign the IPs automatically, thorough some kind of DHCP, atleast it is like that on my KVM node.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • DHCP doesn't always work with KVM. Manually configure your network. There should be a spot in your installer to enter your IP, netmask, and gateway (which your provider should tell you), but if not you can ifdown eth0 (or whatever your interface is) and edit /etc/network/interfaces:

#replace eth0 with your network interface; address, netmask, and gateway with your details
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 1.2.3.4
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 1.2.3.1

and then ifup eth0.

• KVM networking is dead simple: create a bridge to eth0 or eth1 and you're done.