Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trademarked Domain Names, what to do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Trademarked Domain Names, what to do?

2»

Comments

• I typed in the German word for dentist and it was trademarked,too, apparently. What's the point of new endings, when you are not allowed to register anything that is taken on .com? -_-

• @4n0nx said:
    I typed in the German word for dentist and it was trademarked,too, apparently. What's the point of new endings, when you are not allowed to register anything that is taken on .com? -_-

What indeed.

• Why get 200 domains when you can't renew next year at 35$?

Thanked by 3Nekki boxelder Pwner
  • BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited February 2015

Show them that you understood their request and simply redirect the domain(s) to their homepage(s). You could also enforce that by replying that you won't be renewing the domains. That would be a nice shortcut that should keep you off trouble.

If money is what you're up to, I don't believe that you should ask more than 1x - 2x the annual standard renewal fee for that domain. But I'd be extremely careful with that...

• @aglodek, nice explanation. Thanks. So if it were a domain that I really want to use there are possible outcomes with me not losing it.
    Good to know that. Even if I won't be using your advices now they might come handy oneday.

So, in summary if I got a trademarked domain in bad faith, used it to mislead people or tried making a profit out of it, the best scenario is that the domain will be snatched away from me.

But if I were to either comply with them and give away the domain OR host my own, unrelated site I might actually keep it.

@stevie, I think that might work with the old guy in your local grocery store. I doubt any big firm will do so and I'm not intent to try. (:

@Blanoz, well I asked exactly that much. Free x 2. (:

@4n0nx, indeed... The new endings doesn't mean anything...

@Nick_A, well I already told, I'm not after some quick bucks.

Well, I'm still to hear from them. After I offered moving the domain to their account they didn't respond. So, it's up to them but I believed I proved my good faith.

Now I have to get rid of all these trademarked domains somehow.

• @Blanoz said:
    Show them that you understood their request and simply redirect the domain(s) to their homepage(s). You could also enforce that by replying that you won't be renewing the domains.

This is very naive and not the right tact to take. They have to actively enforce their trademark or else risk losing it. This thread makes me root for the lawyers.

Also, BAD move by .science ...

• All the good .science domains are now being snapped up for free. This screws people who have money and want to actually buy and develop a .science domain.

• People with money who can't get their .science domain grab one of the hundreds of other gTLDs that are available.

• Next year .science rubs its hands together ... "time to collect on those renewals" ... only to find their gTLD deserted by the fly-by-night numbskulls who buckled under the renewal fees.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

I think domains can be deleted within 3 days of purchase! If there is an option then remove it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Nomad said:
    374 of them.

.............why?

Seriously guys, mutual funds, not domain names on crappy TLDs.

• @adxn said:
    I think domains can be deleted within 3 days of purchase! If there is an option then remove it.

Actually I checked for it before.
    And now their site is back online but, I couldn't find it.

• I emailed them asking how to cancel domains.
    I think I'll most likely cancel most of them, of course, if it is possible.
    Before that happens, except a few selected ones, I can give away domains, just PM.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Nomad said: Actually I checked for it before. And now their site is back online but, I couldn't find it.

I have used resell.biz and there is a cancel button till 3 days after purchasing a domain, resell.biz and register.science use the same system. Better contact them

• @adxn said:
    I have used resell.biz and there is a cancel button till 3 days after purchasing a domain, resell.biz and register.science use the same system. Better contact them

The registry is theirs. They can cancel the domains when they want. However what you're talking about is grace deletion, which is indeed time limited, and returns part of the money spent (depending on the registrar).

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

Yes, the second mail.
    This time it's Paypal and they have a well written email explaining what might happen, what I should and what I shouldn't do and what might happen.

It's like a summary of most comments here.

I liked the way they handle this case. Way better and friendlier than Netflix.

If nothing this is educational.

BTW : alpnames still didn't respond to either my mail or tweet about how to cancel domains.

• MSPNick said: That'll lead to bigger issues down the road as I heard

Why? He's not infringing their name rights if he doesn't host anything on the domain.

• windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited February 2015

0xdragon said: Have you learned your lesson about registering 2000 domains that you do not need? ;-)

@0xdragon: Always be the #2 and blame others? Do you feel comfortable by doing this?

• windytime90 said: Always be the #2 and blame others? Do you feel comfortable by doing this?

Are you calling him a shit? I can't think what else 'Always be the #2' means.

• Is "netflix.science" actually a trademark violation? Maybe I'm mixing up trademark and copyright.

• is a bullshit you register those domains just to see what is going to happen.

like 0xdragon said:

"Have you learned your lesson about registering 2000 domains that you do not need?"

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2015

kerouac said: Why get 200 domains when you can't renew next year at 35$?

because he want to be millionare selling trademark domains to each bussines,

that guy is the most intelligent guy on earth for doing that, why anyone do that!!?

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2015

@dedicados said:

I think the OP's tone clearly indicates that he had gone into this without much thought or preparation and was rudely surprised, not to say a little scared, by the cease and desist letters that immediately followed. Anybody with any semblance of intelligence wants, hopes, dreams of making big money on domains. Like Michael Douglas had said in the first "Wall Street": greed is good. Greed makes the world run. This looked like a fantastic opportunity with a potential payday and no downside, or so it seemed to @Nomad and many others looks like. So he jumped in without checking the water temperature first. Lets not get carried away with conspiracy theories. Give him a pass here. We've all done more or less foolish things at one time or another in life. And if not, all this means is that experience is still in your future ;)

Thanked by 2dedicados Nomad
  • My my...

People are so quick to presume and reflect their way of thinking to others.
    And when did @dedicados edit the most rude parts of his post, I'll never know.

Anyway,
    No. I never had an intention to be a millionare over a stupid .science extension. I'm not a kid.

What I did was a scriptized bulk registration process without second thinking.
    Did I think of people would pay thousands of dollars for a domain?
    No.
    Did I think of selling this domains?
    No.

Do I care "your" way of thinking? Actually, no.
    Rights and wrongs may vary and I won't accept a debate over who is right, what is wrong.

Did the registrar care?
    I don't think so. All they cared for releasing a number of "total registered domains in X hours" to show the world that .science was not a waste and I think that's why they didn't limit the number of free domains one could grab, not at first at least.

And I agree with what @aglodek says, without greed no once can succeed whether it be greed for money, greed for information or greed for whatever.
    One more think, @aglodek, when I got such emails, what I felt was not fear or getting scared. I was rather surprized with a smile. (:

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2015

facebook send me one once, and i learned, be careful.

facebook**.com - Notice of Facebook Trademark Infringement [Case #401026]

To Whom It May Concern:

We write regarding your registration and use of the domain name facebook**.com, which contains the famous Facebook trademark.

As you know, Facebook is the leading online social network, available at www.facebook.com and on mobile devices. Facebook has used the Facebook trademark in connection with its social networking services since 2004. The Facebook trademark is registered in the United States and internationally, and is one of the most famous trademarks on the Internet. As we hope you can appreciate, protection of its trademarks is very important to Facebook.

We were concerned when we learned of your registration and use of facebook**.com. Specifically, your unauthorized use of the Facebook name is likely to cause confusion as to whether you or your company’s activities are authorized, endorsed, or sponsored by Facebook when, in fact, they are not. While Facebook respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, Facebook must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable and famous trademark.

We recognize that you may not be aware of the laws that apply to trademarks and domain names. Registration and use of domains can violate the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 and the following sections) if they infringe or are likely to dilute a trademark. Infringement occurs when a third party’s use of a company’s trademark (or a confusingly similar variation thereof) is likely to confuse consumers as to the affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement of the third party’s services. Trademark dilution occurs when a third party’s use of a variation of a company’s trademark is likely to lessen the distinctiveness of the company’s famous trademark. Registration and use of a domain name containing another’s trademark can also violate the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, and may be subject to transfer under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy.

As a responsible trademark owner, where necessary we have filed proceedings in the relevant courts and also before the United Nation's World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel to prevent the unauthorized use of our trademarks in domains. In these proceedings, the Facebook trademark has been found to be famous and to be entitled to broad protection.

To avoid consumer confusion and harm to the Facebook brand, we must insist that you stop using the name and domain facebook**.com and disable any site available at that address. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party and should let the domain registration expire.

You are of course welcome to explain on a replacement website that your product works with the Facebook Platform, or relates to the Facebook service, so long as that statement is fair and accurate, and does not falsely suggest that Facebook endorses you or your product. For more information on how to properly refer to Facebook, please visit our brand resource center at www.facebookbrand.com. For specific guidelines for developers, see https://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/policy/examples_and_explanations/branding/.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. We appreciate your cooperation.

Sincerely,
    Ethel

Legal Dept.
    Facebook, Inc.

so i let domain expire

xD

edited February 2015

Nekki said: Are you calling him a shit? I can't think what else 'Always be the #2' means.

@Nekki: No, I don't. #2 is a way to talk, it means his comment is always the #2 (the OP is #1).

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2015

@Nomad said: ...One more think, @aglodek, when I got such emails, what I felt was not fear or getting scared. I was rather surprized with a smile. (:

Duly noted ;) There was no smile on my face many years ago, when I had come across a few similar cases. Then again, I hadn't used a scrapper to register trademarked domains, amongst others, at random (what's obvious from your list), but rather targeted specific, big company names. Like I said, been there, done that, got the t-shirt (read: invaluable experience in the intricate art of domain business). Having a knack for law, not to mention a stint in Law School, I actually managed to make a pretty buck on all that foolishness in the end. Even so, I've moved on, fought off the dark side and became a Jedi instead ;))

@dedicados said: facebook send me one once, and i learned, be careful.

Haven't been hit with one of those in over a decade. This said, it's all part of playing the domain name field until you understand the rules. Then you have to decide how close to the wind you want to sail ;) In any case, it's mandatory to read UDRP or have someone explain it to you. The Lanham Act and the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which is pretty scary, apply only if you reside in the US. Well, it's a little more involved than that, but trademark holders are unlikely to go after you if you're a non-resident. Why waste good money on litigation if you have UDRP? If you don't comply with an infringement warning, as perceived by them, they'll simply try to take the domain away under UDRP rules. Of course, things are likely to get much more "exciting" if you manage to defend the domain under UDRP ;)

• @windytime90 said:
    @Nekki: No, I don't. #2 is a way to talk, it means his comment is always the #2 (the OP is #1).

Cool story.

edited February 2015

@0xdragon said: Cool story.

Short story.

• @windytime90 said:

Mostly because you didn't read my post.