Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultra lowend VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ultra lowend VPS?

2»

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@miTgiB said: @SpeedBus said: $2/month,

@Asim didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he knows there are many places to get a 128/256 for less than that.

@miTgiB :
    Yep :/ The only reason why my plan was expensive was :
    $1 per IP is what the DC charges me and some cents what PayPal takes as fees :/

and yeah true, there are many better plans around at the same price :) sorry about that :/

• @SpeedBus said: the DC charges me

I think this MicroVPS market could work in the future once IPv6 is viable. You paying $1 for an IP really shuts you out of it for now though. Me, I can play in it with ARIN space, but I don't really want to whore my IP space, I'm just greedy like that ;)

I think a MicroPayment system that a client can fund and draw from the balance wuld also work well, or something that deducts the processor fees from your deposit with the provider is another option.

• akbakb Member

I am not a host so pardon me for my ignorance.. Is there any annual fee or something on the IP space procured directly from ARIN?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@akb said: I am not a host so pardon me for my ignorance.. Is there any annual fee or something on the IP space procured directly from ARIN?

Yeah, however for bigger blocks it is worth it.

I am looking to get myself PI space from RIPE LIR sometime this year (hopefully around october), after doing the calclulations, I would end up saving a lot of money yearly for IPs.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: I think this MicroVPS market could work in the future once IPv6 is viable. You paying $1 for an IP really shuts you out of it for now though. Me, I can play in it with ARIN space, but I don't really want to whore my IP space, I'm just greedy like that ;)

I think a MicroPayment system that a client can fund and draw from the balance wuld also work well, or something that deducts the processor fees from your deposit with the provider is another option.

True, once IPv6 gets in completely, prices would go down and would be much better :)
    $1 per IP truly shuts us out of the MicroVPS market :/

MicroPayment system as in the client balance system at WHMCS ? Where a client can deposit money and use to pay invoices and stuff ?

@SpeedBus said: True, once IPv6 gets in completely, prices would go down and would be much better :)

$1 per IP truly shuts us out of the MicroVPS market :/

MicroPayment system as in the client balance system at WHMCS ? Where a client can deposit money and use to pay invoices and stuff ?

Depends on the DC. And if you colo or lease. My Seattle provider gets me the IPs at lower rate than 1$, as I purchase a lot. Some DC's charge around 22-25 cents per IP.

• @SpeedBus said: MicroPayment system as in the client balance system at WHMCS ? Where a client can deposit money and use to pay invoices and stuff ?

Yes and no, the credit balance system was an after thought Matt added a few years back, and very poorly. My thought is to have a credit balance system but more like how ResellerClub works, processor fees are deducted so your balance is what they actually receive.

• AsimAsim Member

@miTgiB of course this is not feasible in the long run (and hence you discontinued the first advertised LEB package of 64MB http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/hostigation-4-99-64mb-xenopenvz-vps/). It leaves very minor margins because of IPv4 cost and is just like "offering it (in limited quantity) for the sake of showing people that ultra LEB's are useful"

• @miTgiB said: @Asim didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he knows there are many places to get a 128/256 for less than that.

If I'm not mistaken, @Speedbus is the only one offering 64MB KVM, which is what Asim asked for in the OP. Other offers are OpenVz. Asim did not stipulate price, only specs. So IMHO Speedbus wins :)

• AsimAsim Member

@sleddog in a sense yes. Is it viable and the best choice? No :)

I have around 30+ active VPSes from multiple providers but this time my need is very low memory-wise and hence wanted to check what packages are available in the market. I have still not experienced how an OS installs on 64MB on KVM

@Asim said: I have around 30+ active VPSes from multiple providers but this time my need is very low memory-wise and hence wanted to check what packages are available in the market. I have still not experienced how an OS installs on 64MB on KVM

Template I guess? Or temporarly increase the RAM while the installation runs. I am not 100% this could be done, though

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Asim said: "offering it (in limited quantity) for the sake of showing people that ultra LEB's are useful"

And I am sure other ppl are doing the same. They are probably useful, no disagreement there, but I doubt they are worth it for the provider, meaning they make some money off it.
    Let's say they do make a few dimes a year, maybe a few bucks, but this is certainly not worth the support and hardware problems, nor migrations and all s**t that happens once in a while when murphy strikes.
    I mean it may look profitable, but I am sure it isn't. Everyone would make more money with the same resources and time if selling something else.
    But, as a consumer, I say cool :) Keep them coming :)
    M

@Maounique said: And I am sure other ppl are doing the same. They are probably useful, no disagreement there, but I doubt they are worth it for the provider, meaning they make some money off it.

Let's say they do make a few dimes a year, maybe a few bucks, but this is certainly not worth the support and hardware problems, nor migrations and all s**t that happens once in a while when murphy strikes.
    I mean it may look profitable, but I am sure it isn't. Everyone would make more money with the same resources and time if selling something else.
    But, as a consumer, I say cool :) Keep them coming :)
    M

They are worth as advetisement, which is the main reason they are done

• akbakb Member

I have around 30+ active VPSes from multiple providers

What do you do with these many VPSes ?? :)

• @Asim said: I have still not experienced how an OS installs on 64MB on KVM

Not your problem. If a provider offers a 64MB KVM VPS, then it's their responsibility to ensure you can install an OS on it.

• AsimAsim Member
    edited August 2012

@akb said: What do you do with these many VPSes ?? :)

Some are really awesome deals that I do not want to let go.
    Others being used for my cPanel DNS-only installations for my dedicated servers (4 ns; 2 in US and 2 in UK)
    Some are hosting experimental projects that are not yet finished or still unstable HENCE cannot go on my dedicated servers
    2 as VPN; 1 as legit provider-approved mailing list for friends; 2 for NAGIOS monitoring + munin
    2 for backups (BuyVM 500G and SecureDragon 100G)
    a bunch of VPSes (OVZ) for plain testing

so there is a use for almost 24 VPSes already :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am sure there can be a few distros that install into that. Debian might tho I didnt try in the last 5 years :P

However, let's make a section for uVPS, say under 128 MB RAM, and under 1 Euro :)
    M

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Maounique said: However, let's make a section for uVPS, say under 128 MB RAM, and under 1 Euro :)

Originally, the term "lowend" referred to the specs. But for some reason it then morphed into price as the defining factor. So now you have a choice between numerous high-memory / high-disk / high-bandwidth offerings, predominantly OpenVz, that perform like shit.

• @Asim>; but I have never seen a KVM so small, ideas?

With KVM you need more than 64MB RAM, because some of the RAM is taken up by the kernel. Your best bet would be ... more RAM since OpenVZ is not an option - in OpenVZ the kernel doesn't eat into your RAM.

• @vpsnodebox said: With KVM you need more than 64MB RAM, because some of the RAM is taken up by the kernel. Your best bet would be ... more RAM since OpenVZ is not an option - in OpenVZ the kernel doesn't eat into your RAM.

I always saw this bandied around, but never with exact numbers. I have two systems, one OVZ (SecureDragon 128) and one KVM (BuyVM Buffalo 256). They have identical installs of Debian 6 with my setup script (a mixture of parts of minstall with my own stuff).

The OVZ uses 15MB of RAM, per free -m, and the KVM is using 34. 19MB isn't a huge difference, but it'd make a big difference on an ultra LEB.

• gkzgkz Member

How about testing in a VIrtualBox / VMWare and create a vm with those specs.
    If it running nice, then we can try to buy it from provider

• @gkz both will behave more like KVM / Xen as far as memory usage is concerned.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Our 32MB and 64MB sell better than our 256MB and 512MB OpenVZ plans. Mostly IRC, DNS, and VPNs.

• @Soylent you can't go wrong with SecureDragon.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

I like SD's 96MB plans, I have 2 one VZ and one Xen. To me its the sweet spot for ULEBs because even if you use 32mb for system resources you still have 64mb to use for apps. I've got a wordpress install running on my xen and a traceroute script I wrote running on the VZ. I'm trying to find a few more for my looking glass but most ultra low end, or even most low end providers in general don't support native IPv6. Next box I buy will likely be an EDIS, I just wish their HK wasn't so $$ but I understand it's an expensive area.