Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Merged] INIZ adding Layer 3,4 & 7 DDOS Protection & Datacenter Migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Merged] INIZ adding Layer 3,4 & 7 DDOS Protection & Datacenter Migration

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited February 2015 in General

I have 3 INIZ VPS's, 2 NL and 1 LA.

My LA VPS was going to expire next week, wasn't planning on renewing it. But this email changed my mind.

Free Layer7 DDOS Protection is pretty good, hopefully it's effective. Haven't seen any other providers filtering Layer 7 effectively yet.

Hello {XXX},

As part of INIZ's programme of service improvement, and in response to the increase in DDoS attacks we are seeing against innocent clients, we have decided to move our infrastructure for Los Angeles to a near-by facility and new network provider. In addition, we hope to expand our presence in Los Angeles rapidly with plans to add KVM & SSD plans shortly.

The new facility is just a few minutes away and the move should be completed within two hours.  We hope to complete this move between the 2nd and 6th of March, we are currently scheduling a day and time depending on weather as such we will have a more specific day and time shortly for you. 

IPv4+IPv6
There will be no change in your IPv4 address however clients using IPv6 will be assigned new addresses. Once the move is completed, clients may also request a /64 if required which is currently not available.

DDoS Protection
One of the major factors for this move is due to some recent attacks against our IPs, as times are changing where attacks are becoming more frequent we'd like to protect our infrastructure and clients and continue to offer a reliable service.  All clients will receive on site 20Gbps/20Mpps best effort DDoS protection free of charge, this is mitigation of all Layer 1-7 attacks and not simply just a "null route". 

Regards,
Patrick Hayward
INIZ / Zeniva Limited
https://iniz.com

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2015

20G total is fairly low.... the L7 is also bound to suck like with nearly all ISPs.

• 20 Gbps on site?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2015

William said: 20G total is fairly low....

Sure is, better than nothing right?

Steven_F said: 20 Gbps on site?

Through our providers mitigation devices rather than any tunnels or anything like that.

--

More things to come for other locations as well

Thanked by 2Dylan mpkossen
  • LeeLee Veteran

Patrick said: Sure is, better than nothing right?

This.

Thanked by 2mpkossen jemaltz
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

Hello Daniel,

As part of INIZ's programme of service improvement, and in response to the increase in DDoS attacks we are seeing against innocent clients, we have decided to move our infrastructure for Los Angeles to a near-by facility and new network provider. In addition, we hope to expand our presence in Los Angeles rapidly with plans to add KVM & SSD plans shortly.

The new facility is just a few minutes away and the move should be completed within two hours. We hope to complete this move between the 2nd and 6th of March, we are currently scheduling a day and time depending on weather as such we will have a more specific day and time shortly for you.

IPv4+IPv6
    There will be no change in your IPv4 address however clients using IPv6 will be assigned new addresses. Once the move is completed, clients may also request a /64 if required which is currently not available.

DDoS Protection
    One of the major factors for this move is due to some recent attacks against our IPs, as times are changing where attacks are becoming more frequent we'd like to protect our infrastructure and clients and continue to offer a reliable service. All clients will receive on site 20Gbps/20Mpps best effort DDoS protection free of charge, this is mitigation of all Layer 1-7 attacks and not simply just a "null route".

Regards,

Patrick Hayward

INIZ / Zeniva Limited

https://iniz.com

I've been with these guys for awhile now, went through the whole sale thing. Everything's been pretty good I just hope this doesn't affect that.

It's pretty great that they're offering free DDoS and a /64 but... I really hope the performance of my current box doesn't degrade from this move..

[Edit] Fixed quote formatting.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

And i terminated my 7$ Yearly one, but hopefully they dont need that ammount of time as the last move in NY.

• @Infinity580 said:
    And i terminated my 7$ Yearly one, but hopefully they dont need that ammount of time as the last move in NY.

Last one you mean which will happen tomorrow?

• said: mitigation of all Layer 1-7 attacks

What exactly qualifies as a Layer 1 attack? Layer 2 would be tough but I can kinda see... but Layer 1?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2015

alexvolk said: Last one you mean which will happen tomorrow?

I presume Atlantic Metro > InfoRelay, KVM had the longest outage because the DC tech connected the cables wrong on that single node and took forever to switch them around. OpenVZ/Client servers were pretty much quick. They pretty much started us off on the wrong foot and continued on the wrong path but we managed to hire independent techs for our own work until now.

LA DC is just a ~5 minutes away and we don't have as much equipment as NY so should be pretty smooth as well networking gear already up and configured too.

• @Rallias said:
    What exactly qualifies as a Layer 1 attack? Layer 2 would be tough but I can kinda see... but Layer 1?

Mistake on my part, it is Layer 3/4 & 7.

• @Patrick said:
    LA DC is just a ~5 minutes away and we don't have as much equipment as NY so should be pretty smooth as well networking gear already up and configured too.

Sweet, hopefully it won't impact my ping either, currently getting 120-170 ms from Sydney NSW Australia..

• ATHK said: Sweet, hopefully it won't impact my ping either, currently getting 120-170 ms from Sydney NSW Australia..

We've done some trace/ping tests with ISPs in Asia/AU/NZ and they have came out pretty much similar so there should be no issue there. We can always work with you and our ISP if you find something out of the ordinary in terms of latency.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2015

Ooooo, thanks Patrick!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

@Rallias said:
    What exactly qualifies as a Layer 1 attack?

On-site tech beating your NIC with a hammer????

• mikho said: On-site tech beating your NIC with a hammer????

How do you distribute this type of attack? :p

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@concerto49 said:

You ask for another DC technician. One with a hammer, the other with a baseball bat! No more DDoS!

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    You ask for another DC technician. One with a hammer, the other with a baseball bat! No more DDoS!

And how would you mitigate this?

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @nexmark said:

24/7 guard with a gun? :-P

• LeeLee Veteran

Threads merged.

Thanked by 2xaitmi ATHK
  • @catalystium said:

Nah... FPSRussia!

• Are you moving to Psychz LA @Patrick?

• @Ishaq said:
    Are you moving to Psychz LA Patrick?

Yes

• @Patrick said:
    Yes

How about openvz.io ?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:

My reference would be "random strangers with different sized tools".

@nexmark said:

My reference to this would be a guard at the fron door asking for credentials (ACL).

• How would one compare Psychz's 20Mpps Layer 7 mitigation to Incapsula's business trial?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Does layer 7 mitigation mean that, if I build an application that hangs for 1 second if someone sends 0 but operates normally if someone sends 1, then the people who send 0 will automatically be blocked?

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2015

Iniz seems to restructure their infrastructure. I'm a (not at all unhappy) client of Iniz at nyc and today is the big day, today they relocate to another (supposedly better?) DC.

Well, kudos to Iniz for their communications!

I remember having a got an informational email some weeks ago, then again and finally a "going hot!" reminder today.

That reminder also offered a link to a status page which I kind of losely followed.

What a pleasant surprise! They actually keep that status page very well up-to-date, mentioning even a minor traffic delay.

Obviously, the decisive point is how well - and quick - the relocation will work out. But their efforts to keep clients very well informed and updated definitely deserves a commendation and a thank you.

So, thank you, Iniz, good luck and may the byte-Gods be with you! ;)

• Well, I'm considerably less enthusiastic by now.

The publicly visible "log" ends with "We are still debugging KVM1 - follow ups via email to clients".

And the email tells me something about a non working raid card and about a new one having been ordered but arriving only tomorrow.

Since then - nothing.

And: Am I wrong in assuming that any non trivial professional hosting operation would have critical stuff spares available on location? (Even more so with raid cards that are known to be troublemakers when different versions or even models are used).