Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for CSGO server (KVM/EUROPE/20GB SSD/1GB+ RAM/1TB BW/100mbps)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for CSGO server (KVM/EUROPE/20GB SSD/1GB+ RAM/1TB BW/100mbps)

QuintenQuinten Member
edited February 2015 in Requests

Hello all,

I'm looking for a VPS to host my CSGO server.
I'll need (atleast) 2 cores with good single thread performance (CSGO Server is single threaded). Ram atleast 1GB with 50GB SSD.

If anyone has experience with CSGO servers then I'm open for any other hardware specifications. The CSGO server is a minigame server so it needs to have a little bit more power over a vanilla server.

Don't really have a fixed price, just wondering what options I have with these requirements.

Comments

• DigitalOcean / Vultr?

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited February 2015

Why 50GB? seems like a little much, unless you wanted all of the textures from every single other source game

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I might be interested in this as well if something decent comes across.

• QuintenQuinten Member
    edited February 2015

@camjac251 said:
    Why 50GB? seems like a little much, unless you wanted all of the textures from every single other source game

Oh woops, you're right. The current size of everything together is around 13gb. 20GB would be enough, thanks for the wake-up.

@joodle said:
    DigitalOcean / Vultr?

Hm, I'll look into their CPU's, its probably one of the most important things.

• Hmm wasn't there a thing against KVM for source servers?

Also if UK counts, Linode.

• @catalystium said:
    Hmm wasn't there a thing against KVM for source servers?

Also if UK counts, Linode.

Not that I know of? Source?

• @quintenps said..

I can suggest you Colorhost in Frankfurt, Germany. I've some game servers there if you want to test it.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited February 2015

I'd suggest as I always do when it comes down to hosting game servers to use NFO.

It's definitely not the cheapest provider out there, but for $10 you get a full, dedicated HT CPU Core, plenty of bandwidth and decent RAID-protected storage. The overall performance is top notch and while I understand you are interested in SSD based VPS, you won't notice much of a difference.

Opting for a provider, which will only guarantee you shared resources is "never" a good idea, especially not with game servers.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be willing to help you out.

Thanked by 1Quinten
  • https://hosthatch.com/kvm-ssd-vps

for an extra $5 you get a ddos protected ip adress (routed through staminus in the NL) which you definitly need when hosting gameservers.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @george said:

Was going to recommend NFO as well but SSD space is kinda pricey addon.

• @catalystium said:
    Was going to recommend NFO as well but SSD space is kinda pricey addon.

Yeah but SSD space is not really needed since your os is already installed on the RAID HDD, You could have 5GB of ssd space and have your basic csgo server and then all of the content and maps and whatnot could be a symlink pointed to the HDD.

Thanked by 1george
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2015

CSGO does not need SSD. Have seen people running several of those without any issues on RAID 1 HDD so you should be fine with RAID 10 HDD

Thanked by 1Quinten
  • @fametel said:
    CSGO does not need SSD. Hve seen people running several of those without any issues on RAID 1 HDD so you should be fine with RAID 10 HDD

Elaborate "does". For the same cost you'll do map loadings quicker etc.

• @quintenps said:

You do realize that with an SSD you will be sharing the speed with others so it wont be the fastest it can be and secondly, RAID 10 is Raid 0 and Raid 1. Raid 0, when combined with 2 drives, speeds up the write and read speed by a lot. So you would have very good speeds from using the HDD

• @quintenps said:

In games like CSGO & COD, map loads are not i/o intensive. You will see no difference in map loading on HDD & SSD.

Thanked by 3Falzo vpslegend Quinten
  • @fametel stop wasting your time with kids who do not want to understand how it all works :D

• QuintenQuinten Member
    edited February 2015

@fametel said:
    In games like CSGO & COD, map loads are not i/o intensive. You will see no difference in map loading on HDD & SSD.

Oh, I was told differently. Thank you for your input.

• ivanhivanh Member
    edited February 2015

Currently using Vultr's $7 plan to host a CSGO server. Server is a 128 tick, 12 man retakes mod that's full about 12hours a day.

I could most likely run it on the $5 plan if I didn't need more bandwidth.

• george said: I'd suggest as I always do when it comes down to hosting game servers to use NFO.

+1 for NFOServers. Amazing service and support.

• chaufferchauffer Member
    edited February 2015

You will definitely feel the I/O difference between HDD and SSD on Source servers, expecially if you're running addons such as MetaMod and SourceMod.

Thanked by 2Quinten dediserve
  • @chauffer said:
    You will definitely feel the I/O difference between HDD and SSD on Source servers, expecially if you're running addons such as MetaMod and SourceMod.

Yes I am, do you have experience with this? If so, can we get in touch?

• @chauffer said:

No.

• Another +1 for NFO. I keep moving our TS3/gameservers to other hosts to save some money but we end up coming back to NFO every time because their network is really nice.

FWIW, this is from the 1GB Linux-only plan:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.4515 s, 93.8 MB/s

• ^ This is a DD from a 2GB plan:

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.17812 s, 174 MB/s

• georgegeorge Member
    edited February 2015

@JahAGR said:
    Another +1 for NFO. I keep moving our TS3/gameservers to other hosts to save some money but we end up coming back to NFO every time because their network is really nice.

FWIW, this is from the 1GB Linux-only plan:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.4515 s, 93.8 MB/s

I remember having tiny lag spikes during various competitive matches and while the spikes were barely noticeable I thought it'd be a great idea to check with their support team.

I've got a reply within 2 minutes, followed by a very thorough description of what could potentially be the source of the problems from the very CEO John (fantastic guy btw).

To my surprise the source of the issues mentioned above was a certain script running on a VPS right next to mine causing a massive load on the HDD in a very specific time frame.

I haven't had a single issue since then.