Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SquidGuard - help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SquidGuard - help

Hi,

I have setup squid and want to get it to work as a web filter service for home use, I want to stop the kids going on anything they shouldn't - all the usual sites.

How do i configure squidguard to block/use a list of websites which constantly gets updated?

Thanks,
Anthony

Comments

• centos 6 I'm using.

• better parenting rather than censorship

• @TarZZ92 said:
    better parenting rather than censorship

I do agree.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

OpenDNS?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    better parenting rather than censorship

Completely disagree here, I trust them but when I went on the laptop they had searched things which I don't want them to see/know yet. So how is this bad parenting?

• @netomx said:
    OpenDNS?

Didn't know they offered this service, thanks I'll take a look now

• proxie said: Completely disagree here, I trust them but when I went on the laptop they had searched things which I don't want them to see/know yet. So how is this bad parenting?

in general you as a parent should tell them not to do it otherwise there would be punishments.

you should know censorship does not work, it's too simple to bypass and am sure your kids can easily bypass any censorship you put up

• You can use OpenDNS in the router and force client to use it using iptables rule (transparent).
    But still, I do agree that parenting should come first.

• @TarZZ92 said:

They are only 8 & 10 years old, not that advanced yet!

I do punish them, but I do not want to take the risk of them doing it again - is that so bad?

• I do believe in punishment however when I was a child it didn't always work, like TarZZ92 its too simple to bypass however if your child is looking for ways around it then they are doing the opposite of what you have told them to do ?

• Either way the children are irrelevant to my question, does anyone have a good tutorial on how to implement SquadGaurd ? I would like to learn a bit more about the software.

• proxie said: I do punish them, but I do not want to take the risk of them doing it again - is that so bad?

Yes. because it will make them find a way around your censorship.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Trust me they are not clever enough on how to bypass it. Either way do you know how to implement squadguard?