Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random Google regional websites redirection and weird VPS issue.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Random Google regional websites redirection and weird VPS issue.

AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Hi,

I've been using Ramnode for a long time now. I have tried almost all of their available locations in the U.S but I keep on experiencing the issue that I am about to tell you guys. I mainly use their VPS service for my personal VPN. I just want everything that I am doing to be more secure and encrypted.

Going back, this issue happens randomly. While I am connected to the VPN network using OpenVPN Access Server, Google randomly redirects me to Google Hongkong or Google Mexico. Again, this happens a lot regardless of the server location that I am using. I don't know why. Is it because I a using the DNS servers of Google from /etc/resolv.conf?

Anyway, I have tried to reformat the server and install everything but I am still experiencing the same issue. I was thinking that my IP address with them is already damaged and I don't have a choice but to order a new one.

I am using their VPS Premium SSD service.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

What I did is to purchase another server form RamNode, this time, for a change it is an OpenVZ-based VPS. I am also planning to purchase a DDoS protected IP and I hope that will help out resolve this issue with Google and other sites detecting that it located somewhere other than the US.

Comments

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip

Source: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/873?hl=en

The resolution via Google's end may take awhile, perhaps you can get in touch with @Nick_A and work out an IP Swap.

• Other sites also detects my IP address like as if it is located in Hongkong or Mexico. But mainly, it is in Los Angeles, California.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited February 2015

Google Hongkong. I have same problem with LES Dallas, TX. Can't watch Netflix. So I just let it idle.

https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip

They love to take their sweet time. I have contacted them like 2 months ago. Nothing change.

• @AdventureTime said:
    Other sites also detects my IP address like as if it is located in Hongkong or Mexico. But mainly, it is in Los Angeles, California.

Perhaps you can get in touch with @Nick_A and work out an IP Swap.

• @Chuck said:
    Google Hongkong. I have same problem with LES Dallas, TX. Can't watch Netflix. So I just let it idle.

Are you with Ramnode too?

• Side Note: Crissic LAX has the same issue

• Holy crap.

• Try add 'nameserver 208.67.222.222' and 'nameserver 208.67.220.220' beside google public dns.

I got trouble when using google public dns in my home pc where no access to certain websites.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

@AdventureTime said:
    Holy crap.

Check your IP with MaxMind, https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

Lots of companies use Google's GeoIP Database

If MaxMind is correct, You'll need to submit that form with Google, this happened to me quite a few times. If you cannot wait, request a new IP from your provider.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I also get random google redirects at home(!). I was in Austria, Germany and Italy in the last year. I do have dynamic IP and no chance to get a fixed one before i change provider.

• Try entering:
    http://www.google.com/ncr

No country redirection page.

Thanked by 2vpsGOD Maounique

Personally I do not mind it, so far there was no chinese or japanese redirection to make everything unintelligible, but that is a good tip to know in case it goes completely haywire one day.

• My KVM @ RamNode in Seattle does this to.. goes to google.com.hk :\

• I had the same problem with an EDIS UK VPS which redirected me to google.de

I 'solved' the problem by setting OpenVPN to use a he.net IPv6 tunnel, and Google doesn't seem to have any problem with geolocating my he.net IP addresses.

• I barely need such a thing and I can usually find my way even in Chinese or Japanese sites as well but I realized I needed such a thing when I setup VPN to my ma's computer.

You might even make it your start page.
    (:

One thing I realized, Google may be using an outdated geoip database. When I enter Gmail, in active session details section it reads my Dutch IP addresses as Indian...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

The problem is not with the IPs themselves. Google adjusts their servers based on visitors and if more people from a specific /24 browse google.com and change the language to a certain location then Google will "learn" this and automatically redirect all IPs in that /24 to that region's home page (i.e. google.com.hk) even if the IPs are geolocated to the US. I get this a lot on most of my VPNs.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • KuJoe said: a specific /24 browse google.com a

I think it's more specific than /24. I used to have two VPNs hosted in the same /24, one ended in 176 and the other in 226, and Google thought one was British and the other was German.

The whole /24 is assigned to a UK datacenter if I remember correctly.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Chan could be, I was just taking a while guess at the subnet size they look for. There was a good article/blog explaining why this happens, but I can't find it at the moment.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah, what @KuJoe said. We unfortunately don't know which IPs are going to behave like this ahead of time, so requesting a new one is often a fruitless venture. Too many clients have told Google to use a different language.

edited February 2015

Nick_A said: Too many clients have told Google to use a different language.

This might be an explanation for hosting services, but my ISP's IPs behave like this and i doubt there are many romanians changing the language into "austrian", albeit Italian might work as a couple of millions live and work there and RDS has services in Italy.

• Maounique said: but my ISP's IPs behave like this and i doubt there are many romanians changing the language into "austrian",

Isn't RDS = Astral = UPC? All newer IP ranges of UPC Europe come from an Austrian /13 and their primary "NOC" is located in Vienna.

• @Nick_A said:
    Yeah, what KuJoe said. We unfortunately don't know which IPs are going to behave like this ahead of time, so requesting a new one is often a fruitless venture. Too many clients have told Google to use a different language.

I'll be sending you my I.P via PM.

• I have checked the VPN's IP through the MaxMind website. Yes, it is located in the US.

edited February 2015

@William said:

No, RDS wanted to buy UPC (former astral, Cluj area rival when were both in infancy), but decided against it due to possible monopoly problems (romanian authorities do not joke with that).
    RDS is it's own master, in fact owns subsidiaries in neighbouring countries as well as in italy and spain at least, including mobile voice and data (though, not owning spectrum leases or own mobile network).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2015

said: I mainly use their VPS service for my personal VPN. I just want everything that I am doing to be more secure and encrypted.

Not a direct response to your question, but you may want to rethink that approach. VPNs are, contrary to marketing from VPN providers, not magical fairy dust - they won't magically "encrypt" everything or make it "private" or "secure". The connection between you and the VPN is encrypted, but the connection from the VPN to the destination server is not. You're just moving the potential tapping point, from your own ISP to the ISP of the server.

VPNs are really only useful if you want a destination server to not see your real IP - but that almost never actually matters.

• @joepie91 said:
    VPNs are really only useful if you want a destination server to not see your real IP - but that almost never actually matters.

I understand. What I am mainly preventing is the sniffing stuff or attacks when connecting to public WiFi networks. Also, it is being used to entertainment. For example, being able to access my video-on-demand subscriptions.

• UPDATE:

What I did is to purchase another server form RamNode, this time, for a change it is an OpenVZ-based VPS. I am also planning to purchase a DDoS protected IP and I hope that will help out resolve this issue with Google and other sites detecting that it located somewhere other than the US.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

AdventureTime said: I understand. What I am mainly preventing is the sniffing stuff or attacks when connecting to public WiFi networks. Also, it is being used to entertainment. For example, being able to access my video-on-demand subscriptions.

Alright, that makes sense :)