Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi 2 colocation offers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi 2 colocation offers?

Comments

• @MSPNick

do you have a recovery system? such as nocps

• @MSPNick said:

• nearly £65 for a reinstall..

So... How is the fee to hard reset the RPI if crash take place?
    And... is IPv6 supported?

• You really should have remote controllable power (i.e. remote power off / remote power on) for the Pis, since they can lock up sometimes.

• @rds100 said:
    You really should have remote controllable power (i.e. remote power off / remote power on) for the Pis, since they can lock up sometimes.

Working on that.

Yes I have IPv6 most likely won't charge a fee. No.

@TarZZ92 said:
    MSPNick

do you have a recovery system? such as nocps

I am working on this

• @Nekki said:
    Here we go:

May I know, Which tool/script you used to run this speed test ??

• whats the DC?

• @Umair said:
    May I know, Which tool/script you used to run this speed test ??

You may get it here:
    https://github.com/blackdotsh/curl-speedtest

• Hi.

Just to let everyone know I've just Installed a round of RPis if anyone else is interested your going to need the power plug and whatever else it requires to get yor device online.

• @MSPNick said:
    Hi.

Just to let everyone know I've just Installed a round of RPis if anyone else is interested your going to need the power plug and whatever else it requires to get yor device online.

Looked at those Anker 5/6 port phone chargers that can do 1-2A per port?

• @dragon2611 said:

That my friend, is very interesting and I will be making a purchase of one of them, be so much cheaper and easier.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited February 2015

I've used it to power a cubbieboard/Pi before but not several, although given it's desigend for charging multiple tablets/phones I don't see why it would have a problem powering a few Pi's, the 5 port one I have is supposed to have a max output of 8A

• @dragon2611 said: I've used it to power a cubbieboard/Pi before but not several, although given it's desigend for charging multiple tablets/phones I don't see why it would have a problem powering a few Pi's, the 5 port one I have is supposed to have a max output of 8A

Interesting, but how does this help with remote power off/on? I think that's what's really needed here and elsewhere for sustainable Pi colo/hosting.

• @dragon2611 said:
    I've used it to power a cubbieboard/Pi before but not several, although given it's desigend for charging multiple tablets/phones I don't see why it would have a problem powering a few Pi's, the 5 port one I have is supposed to have a max output of 8A

I doubt that can give 8a down one port, 8a / 5p = 1.6

@rds100 are you guys running custom PSU's or PDU's that support powerdown's?

• 8A total, not per port, e.g 3 Ports at 2A + 2 ports at 1A.

Also I did wonder if it's possible to put a PI (Or Arduino) controlled relay board between the PSU outputs and the PI. (Nothing stopping you doing it on the 240v side, but I'd rather be switching 5V DC than Mains myself)

• wych said: @rds100 are you guys running custom PSU's or PDU's that support powerdown's?

Yes, ours are with custom remote controllable PDUs.

• @MSPNick
    Can there be a solution like you buy the RPi and set it up with a 1TB HDD with colo ? Just like getting a dedi.
    Is it possible, how much would it cost ?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

@mspnick You should be able to do the remote reboot with an arduino or raspberry, a bunch of usb ports, some transistors and a 5v power supply.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:
    mspnick You should be able to do the remote reboot with an arduino or raspberry, a bunch of usb ports, some transistors and a 5v power supply.

And what if that raspberry/arduino needs a restart it self?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

rsk said: And what if that raspberry/arduino needs a restart it self?

A controls power for B, B controls power for A!

Thanked by 1pbgben

@rsk said:
    And what if that raspberry/arduino needs a restart it self?

Then your fucked, you'll have to bring the container up from the sea bed and unplug replug the damn thing... ;)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:
    Then your fucked, you'll have to bring the container up from the sea bed and unplug replug the damn thing... ;)

See? Hence we need to brainstorm a new plan :p

• Use normally closed solid-state relays instead of transistors and you can safely reboot the power controlling device. Have 2 power controllers so they can mind each other and you've got a nice cheap setup.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

My raspberry pis never lock up. I am assuming that if you are going to use a pi to do something as basic as switch on and off usb ports... I hardly doubt it would lock up with good coding. With that being said, no way to set the pi to reboot ever so often if using an alternative power supply for the usb ports powering the rest of pis? Just asking..

• Agreed - no need to overclock For this - as long as you have solid power will stay up. but they do need the odd reboot for updates etc...

• The raspberry Pis do lock up randomly sometimes. A remote reboot is 100% needed, unless you want to have to go and manually power cycle them.

• For anyone interested, we can do raspberry pi colo in Manchester, UK for £2.50 / Device, inclusive of power, 1TB Bandwidth.

• @rds100 I would say that 90%+ of this is bad power, which in the DC you can control by not using crappy power adapters. Some will be due to overclocking/user error which you have less control over :)

• @tehdan i can assure you that there is no bad power for the Raspberry Pis we are hosting, and even then they would lock up randomly sometimes - some once every few months, some more often. And they all have extra heatsinks installed and no overclocking.

• @rds100 interesting, I guess I've been lucky with mine. I've 'fixed' a lot of pis for other people by lending them a stable PSU...

I've revised my plan, I went with NC solid state relay (thanks tehdan) and found some usbmicro to bare wire to solder straight to the PCB.