Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dedi/VM for a buildbox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dedi/VM for a buildbox?

BookWormBookWorm Member
edited February 2015 in Requests

I sometimes do large source builds (Android/FFos, etc) and for that I need a cheap VM/Dedi. The build trees tend to be large - 25-30GB is usual.

So a config would look like:

Disk: 200GB or larger,
Good CPU, atleast 4GB RAM.
Very little data transfer - 2x Disk Size incoming, 1x Disk Size outgoing - so lets say 500GB incoming, 250GB outgoing.
1 IPV4, or even NAT IPV4 might do, but IPV6-only will not work (some source repos are IPV4 only).

This is not a continuous build box, and will usually be idle. A few times a week, it will be used to do builds that take a lot of CPU+RAM+Disk throughput for 2-4 hours at a time.

Usual OpenVZ providers frown on using too much CPU for hours at a stretch, even when the VPS is idle 90% of the time. KVM would work, but ends up being expensive.

Any offers?

PS: Location is in-general not a problem, anywhere is fine, as long as network works all right.

Comments

• Why not some cloud solution where you snapshot your instance and only start it when you are going to make a build?

• @rds100 : yes, that is what I do now, I use DO, but even just the snapshot costs quite a bit of money, and its extremely inconvenient to have to spin it up. Plus I'd like some cron jobs - trigger a build when I tag a repo or things like that.

• Why not build a box in house? 2+ hours of full CPU usage is either unacceptable or resulting strict restriction, i.e. 800Mhz.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

$20.64 with HELLADEALSTORAGE - 50% Recurring Discount

250GB HDD (Add more for $0.02/GB)
    2* 2Ghz vCPU
    4GB RAM
    1*IPv4
    VMware ESXi
    1Gbit Shared (Fair use)

https://secure.bigvps.io/cart.php?gid=6&currency=4

Located in OVH Roubaix, perfect for a build server.

• @msg7086 : If I could, I would. I live in a place where a good internet connection means 2mbit with a monthly limit of 15-20GB usage. After that the connection gets capped to half a megabit. There is no way I will be ever successful in cloning my build repos on this link.

• A Kimsufi KS3 is the cheapest i can think of, followed by something from Hetzner's auctions for older hardware.

• @pbgben : They call it a backup offer, its not clear if they are Ok with high CPU usage?

@rds100 : yes, KS3 look great, unfortunately, last time I tried they told me I could not place orders from my country :-/

How does one know about Hetzners Auctions? How frequently do they happen?

• BookWorm said: How does one know about Hetzners Auctions? How frequently do they happen?

They are up all the time, there are servers coming and going.

http://serverbidding.com

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

We've got 1x of these at Los Angeles, CA. Quadranet network. 100% owned hardware and colocated in our rack there. (it's a dedicated server)

Intel Atom C2558

8 GB RAM

500GB x 2 HDD

10 TB bandwidth

5 IPv4

IPMI access included

$35/month or I can drop the bandwidth to 5 TB and drop the price to $30/month

https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=38

• @speedbus : how about going down to just 1TB bandwidth and only 1 IPv4?

• @rds100 : thanks! What is the typical reduction one sees on these auctions? And is the reduction recurring?

• @BookWorm yes, their price is recurring. But i don't know about the reduction, just watch it for a few hours. Or maybe someone else can tell.

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@BookWorm Reduction should be one euro and it is recurring.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@BookWorm said:
    pbgben : They call it a backup offer, its not clear if they are Ok with high CPU usage?

High usage is fine.

• @BookWorm said:
    msg7086 : If I could, I would. I live in a place where a good internet connection means 2mbit with a monthly limit of 15-20GB usage. After that the connection gets capped to half a megabit. There is no way I will be ever successful in cloning my build repos on this link.

Well I see. Then I suggest KS or Serverbidding. For KS I'm not sure if you can ask someone else you know to rent for you.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

https://readydedi.com/clients/cart.php?gid=5

Please let me know if anything fancies you here.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

BookWorm said: @speedbus : how about going down to just 1TB bandwidth and only 1 IPv4?

$30/month is probably the lowest I'd go on this server, pretty new hardware and neat network as well :)

• @BharatB : Configs are attractive, but I am trying to stay below USD20/m :-)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@BookWorm go with @SpeedBus he's got pretty good HW and Network AFAIK and he provides good support :)

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • Maybe @MarkTurner has something for you...

:)

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @TheLonely - We're going to need to start paying you commission at this rate :)

@BookWorm - We have many buildboxes on our network. For a simple box use our Dual X5150, 16GB RAM (great for large compiles and some disk caching) and 500GB disk. 5TB transit on Gigabit port.

$20/month (paid quarterly) or $30/month (paid month-to-month)

http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

Thanked by 1TheLonely
  • @MarkTurner Just trying to help the OP with finding a good server and you in your sales ^. ^

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • I miss the weeks when you could pick up the i3/i5 Kimsufis on a whim.

Where are they when you need them....

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2015

The kimsufi KS2-SSD edition appears to be in stock.

I think the N2800+40GB ssd could be competitive on build times compared to an i3+sataHDD (only if your source tree is bigger than i3's RAM )

It all depends on your source tree. Thousands of tiny source files... Hmm

• @bookworm - which repos are you using, I had a look at one of our mirror servers and there are lots of different Android repos on there.

• Try using Dedibox XC 2015 from online.net (higher price but including 100GB Backup and possible more IPs).

• Kimsufi i3-2130 for 21$+tax is on stock, please PM me if you'd like me to get one for you and I'll use some percentage of harddrive in exchange