Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian vs CentOS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian vs CentOS

2»

Comments

• A lot of users back debian for the packages. You can grab a lot if you add extra repos on centos but the draw back is those packages are less tested and this is why centos/Red Hat view is more entreprise focused. Offering the last PHP is not the focus here as it would rather ship the stable/well tested release.

M B

Thanked by 1Quinten
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Centos +1000

• I am also very comfortable with CentOS. What it comes down to for me is this is now just a hobby and a opportunity to learn more about Linux. I hope to work in IT again, It seems to me that CentOS is more valuable in that purpose.

• +1 vote for Debian

• I've always used CentOS. A case of stick to what you know I guess.

• Any thoughts on ISPconfig vs VestaCP? or other control panels. I do not need anything bulky.

• Debian!

• I have been using Centos on servers/vps for a few years now. So I am kinda used to it. Pretty much know how to setup everything without using any panel.

I actually tried to use Ubuntu v14 on a recent VPS and I was really lost. Felt like a whole different world.

(But that may be just me .. And I m not an expert)

• slackware FTW! :P

• Debian!

• CentOS definetely. Its the one i've always used.

• Same good of both. But i much familliar with debian and i feel its really stable

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Debian! for gaming realted stuff Ubuntu.

• Using both. Choice what to use depends on whether there's something more CentOS-oriented.

Thanked by 1wumingshi
  • LeoKLeoK Member
    edited February 2015

I installed Debian, Having trouble with ISPConfig

• What kind of trouble?

• Various Problems, Is the perfect server the best tutorial?

• Yes it is. Debian tutorial should be about OK. Use DE apt-sources and if your VPS is OpenVZ, start from page 3. Install vim-nox and skip /etc/network/interfaces editing.
    Start from "echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start"...
    Don't install Xcache, (apt-get) install php-apc, it works better. :)

Sorry for my bad english.. Finnish is my native language..

• karjajkarjaj Member
    edited February 2015

You also need at least 512M memory, because amavis eats about 256M...
    Some OVZ templates need "apt-get --reinstall install bsdutils", before install mysql. If you get errors and mysql not start, try above and apt-get install -f then.

• Thank You

• i used both of them, but debian is very easy to use rather than centos