Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Plex Server (Dedicated or VPS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Plex Server (Dedicated or VPS)

I'm looking for a cheap server or VPS, For a Plex media server.

Must be in the USA, if it's a dedicated server it must have IPMI or KVM So I can install the OS

For a VM it must be KVM and have serial console.

Within $60 Please :)

Comments

• You might be interested in this, much cheaper as well. https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/43167-plex-media-server-on-a-vps/?p=432198

Never tried it myself, just found it on google.

• Anyone else?

• Check with @qps , they might have something cheap.

Thanked by 1qps
  • With $60 budget you have tons of options. Get a E3-SAT-3 from SYS at BHS would be my recommendation. 2x2TB HDD, great CPU and unlimited bandwidth. They are available from time to time (every week or so).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Caveman122 said:
    With $60 budget you have tons of options. Get a E3-SAT-3 from SYS at BHS would be my recommendation. 2x2TB HDD, great CPU and unlimited bandwidth. They are available from time to time (every week or so).

Looking for US and not Canada

• nexmark said: Looking for US and not Canada

May I ask why? It's not a latency issue?

• @Caveman122 said:

700MS ping to Hawaii, yum

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @nexmark said:

Haha that's a pretty unique situation, I have no idea what your ping would be to anywhere then. Versaweb's E3-1230 Promo looks pretty good, 16GB + 2TB HDD can be had for $51.5 when payed semi-annually. (10TB at 100Mbps through) link

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

@nexmark QuickPacket has several systems in Atlanta that meet these criteria.

Xeon E3110 / 4 GB RAM - $24.99 (promo code YASW0FA9V9)

Core 2 Quad Q9550 / 8 GB RAM - $29.99 (promo code G67V0F8XE9)

Single CPU systems above include 250GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive, 20TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbps port, and 5 usable IP addresses. IPv6 is available upon request.

Dual Xeon L5420 / 16 GB RAM - $39 (promo code LETXEON39)

Dual Xeon L5520 / 24 GB RAM - $49 (promo code LETXEON49)

Dual Xeon systems above include 1TB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive, KVM over IP / IPMI, 20TB Bandwidth on 1 Gbps port, and 4 usable IP addresses. IPv6 is available upon request. Upgrading to 2TB hard drive is $5 per month additional.

Thanks.

• I am assuming you are meaning $60/year rather than $60/month.

• @MarkTurner said:
    I am assuming you are meaning $60/year rather than $60/month.

Not an error, willing to go $60 A month if needed.

• Then there are an abundance of perfect solutions - we have many customers running Plex servers on our X5150s at $20/month (paid quarterly). It has dedicated IPMI/KVM, virtual media, gigabit and all the usual bells as whistles.

If you need more then there are L5420, L5520, E3-1230v3, we have some E3-1225's (quite good for this), and so on.

How much disk do you need?

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited February 2015

There are some 48TB monster systems floating around as well at the moment but not within the $60/mo price point :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@nexmark said:
    Not an error, willing to go $60 A month if needed.

Will you be transcoding? If you're not you won't need a high end server. Even a raspberry pi 2 can direct stream...

• @trewq said:
    Will you be transcoding? If you're not you won't need a high end server. Even a raspberry pi 2 can direct stream...

I won't be transcoding.

• @MarkTurner said:
    There are some 48TB monster systems floating around as well at the moment but not within the $60/mo price point :)

Even 50GB will do (VPS) Or 250GB HDD (Dedicated Server)

• So use this:

Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 5TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $20/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

This is what many customers use as a plex server.

Thanked by 1nexmark

@nexmark said:
    I won't be transcoding.

In that case you shouldn't need a dedi. How much storage space do you need?

• @trewq said:
    In that case you shouldn't need a dedi. How much storage space do you need?

50 GB if it's a VM, 250GB if it's a server

@nexmark said:

You should be fine with a RamNode SSD-Cached $7/month plan then.

http://ramnode.com/vps.php

• Online.net also offer Plesk license for their server (EUR 3.99/10 domains/month - EUR 22.99/unlimited domains/month).

• edited February 2015

Sorry, I think it's for Plesk.

• @nexmark I'm using a KS4 at BHS for mine. But if you're not transcoding (ie. you know who will be playing back and on what device, and what original quality is) - you can use anything. Direct Play/Stream (swapping container) uses like no CPU - audio/video transcoding can murder CPU though.

To be honest, one of your storage boxes in Seattle would work well enough :P Give yourself 1GB of ram though.

You can also find a box with decent CPU and ram to host the main node, then mount files via SSHFS. The KS4 is my main instance, then I have my KS1 mounted via Samba - and some spare storage on my SYS box.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I'm using a $15/year VPS from Crissic as my plex server.
    512mb ram and 100gb disk.
    You can send the rest of the money to me. :)

• Just be careful of the phototranscoder cache if you go for a lower HDD plan, that can easily eat a ton of space.