Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone want to walk across America?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone want to walk across America?

subigosubigo Member
edited August 2012 in General

Not a joke. By this time next month I will have absolutely no obligations. In the past, I've made plans to hike The Appalachian Trail with multiple people, only to have it fall through at the last minute when everyone bailed (this has happened three times in ten years). I've also had plans to bicycle across America with people, who bailed at the last minute... So maybe walking through civilization would interest more people? I've known a few people who completed a cross country trip and it always sounded awesome.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It indeed is awesome. I spoke with a guy that did it 1 year ago and saw some images that he took with his camera.. Too bad that I live in eastern Europe.

• that's crazy but good luck to you.

• Sounds like fun.

• I‘d like, but wait, I'm in China. :p

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited August 2012

@DNSbed said: I‘d like, but wait, I'm in China. :p

Do the same thing by walkng across China.

• how would you do this? Do you stay in hotels and such?

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Are you serious? that is alot of walk

• @Corey said: how would you do this? Do you stay in hotels and such?

Mainly stealth camping. I've biked through multiple states in the past... you go until you're tired, find a place to sleep, sleep.

• SO like a hobo!? :) Sounds fun!

• edited August 2012

Dude! I've been wanting / planning an AT hike for some time!

It's just a hard thing to do when you have obligations, I can't forsee myself having 6 months to just do whatever I want anytime soon but am shooting to do the trail by the time I am 30 (I am 24 now). I'm hoping next year I can do the John Muir Trail which is only 210 miles and wouldn't take that long to complete.

I'm from the country so I love everything that has to do with hiking and camping and sleeping under the stars.

Best of luck to you and I envy the freedom you have to up and leave and be able to do this.

EDIT: If walking across America and not on a designated trail or through trail-towns, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a carry permit (map out the states you plan on hiking through and apply) or at the very least a very reliable knife. Lot's of crazies out there and people may think you're homeless and try to take advantage of that fact, especially on the outskirts of cities. I'd try to stick to the trails, actually.

• @MannDude said: EDIT: If walking across America and not on a designated trail or through trail-towns, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a carry permit (map out the states you plan on hiking through and apply) or at the very least a very reliable knife. Lot's of crazies out there and people may think you're homeless and try to take advantage of that fact, especially on the outskirts of cities. I'd try to stick to the trails, actually.

It would be one of the Adventure Cycling routes, which one just depends on what time of year I would leave. I already have most of their cycling maps:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A guy did this in the 70s/80s - wrote a book called Walk Across America. Might be worth a library checkout.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think it's very difficult/impossible to map out a transcontinental route where you could legally carry. Some states honor other states' permits but many (most?) do not.

• @raindog308 said: A guy did this in the 70s/80s - wrote a book called Walk Across America. Might be worth a library checkout.

How old are you Sir? :)

• subigosubigo Member
    edited August 2012

@raindog308 said: A guy did this in the 70s/80s - wrote a book called Walk Across America. Might be worth a library checkout.

Hundreds of people do it every year. I personally know three people who have done it in the last five. This guy is doing it right now with no money: http://twitter.com/hobo_nick

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

I don't think I'd even wanna drive to California... Hell, I hate when I can't get non-stop MIA>SEA flights and it takes me 9 hours instead of 6, sounds like a really long walk...

hobo_nick's got a dog?

• And one day I just started running, when I got down town I figured I'd run across the county, when I got there I figured I'd run across alabama, and when I got to the border I figured since I gone this far, might as well keep on running.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • Run Forrest, Run!

• I would like to do this once
    but i go to college in 2 weeks...

• I wish I had enough free time to do something like that

• Walk? No. Ride on a Harley? Absolutely yes :)