Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most lightweight opensource ecommerce platform?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most lightweight opensource ecommerce platform?

I have to provide a hosted ecommerce platform to several clients of mine. I want them all to be hosted on a single VPS server. Each of my client will have their ecommerce store on a subdomain. The server will not be hosting any personal records of customers that's why they can all be on a single container.
I am in search for the most lightweight and opensource ecommerce script for it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• I would consider wordpress with ecommerce plugins. Not exactly "lightweight", but WP is well supported and you can find a ton of different themes/plugins. You (may) even be able to get multisite working so you can run all your customers' websites on a single wordpress install.

• nitrosrt10nitrosrt10 Member
    edited February 2015

Aww yes, multisite is a good idea. Didn't even crossed my mind :( I'm kinda disappointed in myself.

• I consider OpenCart to be the most lightweight of all the ecommerce CMS.

But as I more into WordPress I would suggest that you use WooCommerce, as there is a an active community around it that is always eager to help you out and also there are hosting providers that specialize in WooCommerce hosting solutions.

Those hosting providers use advance server setups and caching layers to improve the speed of Woo stores and also provide server level support.

I can let you know a proper setup of WooCommerce + Hosting + optimization + backups etc. if you are interested.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • @AhsanParwez said:
    I consider OpenCart to be the most lightweight of all the ecommerce CMS.

But as I more into WordPress I would suggest that you use WooCommerce, as there is a an active community around it that is always eager to help you out and also there are hosting providers that specialize in WooCommerce hosting solutions.

Those hosting providers use advance server setups and caching layers to improve the speed of Woo stores and also provide server level support.

I can let you know a proper setup of WooCommerce + Hosting + optimization + backups etc. if you are interested.

I think many of us would be into your detailed tutorials.

• +1. I would be as well.

• @VMVPS said:

I have a feeling he wants to charge for it. If that's the case, I would just go for a standard nginx wordpress setup on a smaller vps.

• while not exactly lightweight, im a big fan of drupal commerce.

• +1 to WooCommerce. Agree to the one who suggested WordPress multisite for it makes it easy to manage many websites :)

• Opencart/Woocommerce depending on exact requirements would generally be my suggestion.

Whatever you do avoid something like Shopify; its more hassle than its worth.

• I would go with opencart, too. It is more lightweight, more secure from WP in my opinion and with much more better interface for administrating (I always thought wordpress admin interface as a mess for web developers / administrators. They made it more for the ease of the unexperienced user)

• prestashop i am happy with him :) and i have +35000 products

• nitrosrt10nitrosrt10 Member
    edited February 2015

Thanks guys for your suggestions, i'll try woocommerce multisite and opencart both but I think woo+wpmulti is the way to go.

@AhsanParwez said:
    I can let you know a proper setup of WooCommerce + Hosting + optimization + backups >etc. if you are interested.

I would love that more than anything! Enlighten us all please.

• OpenCart or WooCommerce

• sirrobin said: while not exactly lightweight, im a big fan of drupal commerce.

You'll be lucky to find more bugged and idiotic system than drupal.

• I've been using https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/ for some private WordPress sites, easy to use and it works really well I must say.

Don't forget to checkout the docs!

• I used woo but i never got the shipping right. Digital stuff is okay but i coudnt find a good usps shipping cost calculator so i limited orders to Americans.

Paypal butons are easy to use and lightweight.

I tried prestashop abd others in cpanel but everything coat money.

• Try Opencart.. Its lightweight CMS

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

warih said: Try Opencart.. Its lightweight CMS

just thought to recommend exactly the same.

or alternatively you will be able to setup Magento server with several shops, you will be able to setup rules per user and options per store.