Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you expect from the term 'CLOUD' ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you expect from the term 'CLOUD' ?

2»

Comments

• @qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    And what is that?

cloud that's half formed? hmmm, cloud w/o HA?

• Flashy website, bold claims and SolusVM.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

The "normals" think cloud is anything that is on the internet, e.g. Website, remote desktop, file storage... But they also think that the WHOLE computer as a collective should be refereed to as the "hard drive"

I see cloud as High availability, visualized servers. With the base term for cloud being that any resources I need can be both deployed and accessed anywhere.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2015

Some cloud definitions:

(images courtecy of cloudtwaks.com)

• @pbgben said:
    The "normals" think cloud is anything that is on the internet, e.g. Website, remote desktop, file storage... But they also think that the WHOLE computer as a collective should be refereed to as the "hard drive"

I see cloud as High availability, visualized servers. With the base term for cloud being that any resources I need can be both deployed and accessed anywhere.

Spot on. When I think cloud, I think of HA. End of story.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2015

Everyone and their dog likes to use that word now. I specifically don't use it just because of that. 99% of the time it's just a cluster of servers in a data center...not a cloud. Half of the time that cluster isn't even interconnected in any HA way. NAS doesn't even make it HA...unless there are at least 2 synced together with failover.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    @BharatB said: semi-cloud.

And what is that?

Smog.

Thanked by 1jvnadr

So long story short, there's SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. And you can define what makes those clouds using any terms you wish because there is no industry standard definition.

You could say a low end VPS on a single OVH server is a "cloud server".

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • smansman Member
    edited February 2015

Again, just individual servers connected to a single NAS as far as I can tell. Very few things are a true cloud which is what the Internet basically is.

If it doesn't pass the nuclear test then it's not a cloud imho. If you nuke a city or even an entire country, the internet does not stop working. Don't even need a nuke or conventional weapons to take out most of these so called clouds. Just a bad core router or core switch or a UPS shorting out is enough.

• Elastic!

• cloud or otherwise, the question remains the same, are users willing to pay the "true cloud" rate? it is not impossible at all to create such infrastructure, just a matter of cost. it all boils down to how many are prepared to pay for it, volume will be deciding factor towards survivability of such business

which incidentally is the reason why not-so-true clouds form......

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

@century1stop said:
    cloud or otherwise, the question remains the same, are users willing to pay the "true cloud" rate? it is not impossible at all to create such infrastructure, just a matter of cost. it all boils down to how many are prepared to pay for it, volume will be deciding factor towards survivability of such business

which incidentally is the reason why not-so-true clouds form......

That is quite true. However, there are significant technical challenges to overcome as well. Very few things are designed for true 'cloud' type operation. Believe me I tried. Just for starters, things like IP and DNS failover. That's not the only thing, not by a long shot. I know there are things that do IP failover and DNS failover. The devil is in the details and once you start looking at it in detail, there are more holes than swiss cheese.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • I simply don't accept you as a cloud provider lol.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2015

@sman said:

very true, which is why it's still under development, hopefully all go well and nothing will go into production until in good working order. barrier that needs to be overcome.....

@nitrosrt10 said:

that is of course entirely your choice ;)

there's no dictatorship on the internet, LoL

• Since it is the latest innovation I would expect getting a really quality service. However, the practise showed that older things remain being on the top since cloud is still pretty difficult to handle and its security measures are not always the best ones.

• I hate how they charge for every little thing.i using Googles cloud n it sucks. I like the cli cmds but thats about it. They need more servers.

• @BharatB said:
    Now basically what features do you expect when you hear / read the term 'CLOUD' from a provider and not just people with RAID-10 SSDs on E5s / E3 clusters.

Most common thing people think is cloud means various locations and higher network speeds and IO speeds but what is it that you're looking for when CLOUD is mentioned ?

P.S This is the list I came up with

1. Various Locations
    2. Faster deployment
    3. 100% availability / HA with Failover IPs
    4. Floating IPs / Reserved ones
    5. Geo re-location at the ease of client
    6. Hourly billing
    7. Snapshots Cluster
    8. True 10 gig / 1 gig bandwidth

Add resizing your instance to the list and I think you got a solid foundation.

• failover, utility style billing, and perhaps advanced networking options.

Make sure to use the term "region" instead of "datacenter".

For example, you're not provisioning servers in the Buffalo datacenter but rather the "US East Region".

Or better year, "US East Region 1" and "US East Region 2" even if the servers are side by side.

• Rain.

Thanked by 1wych