Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limit packets per second from OpenVZ containers - best practices ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Limit packets per second from OpenVZ containers - best practices ?

Hello,
Which is the best practice to limits the packets per seconds a single OpenVZ container can send ?

Comments

• In a preventative or reactive fashion?

Nodewatch can suspend a VM when it has a high number of connections.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2015

may I know your primary objective to limit packets? if it's to prevent DDoS, probably a waste of time as DDoS can be synchronized with a huge cluster

• Yes it is t prevent packet flood from the OpenVZ containers. Sometimes the DDoS wannabes are trying some scripts and sending more than 100K pps.

• We have tried this with Solus:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -o $DEV -s X.X.X.X -m limit --limit 200/sec -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I FORWARD 2 -o $DEV -s X.X.X.X -j DROP

However the 2nd line is stopping the Internet , the 1st line seems works.

• @qhoster What is overall goal? Those iptables lines should work also try attaching it to venet0. But nodewatch should pickup high number of connections you just have to edit the settings to your liking and also remove the // in the front of the setting.

• The idea is to limit each container to lets say 10 000 packets per second.

• 10000 PPS lolwut. 1 Gigabit is like 80-120k PPS depending on the amount of data in the packet stream generated by some software.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2015

I thought that was 200/sec?

EDIT: just saw you were using an example, not your actual rule

Ishaq said: Use tc to traffic shape: