Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some good providers that support MPPE? But wait, there's more (questions)!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are some good providers that support MPPE? But wait, there's more (questions)!

JTRJTR Member
edited August 2012 in General

So, I found out that my beloved BuyVM VPS (OpenVZ) does not support MPPE. So, I'm looking for an extra small VPS for use as a VPN (PPTP). The problem is, I need the ppp_mppe kernel module to be installed/supported. From what the BuyVM support told me, I'd need a KVM VPS for this. Are there any affordable 128MB KVMs from reputable providers? I haven't looked for a VPS in over 9 months, so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the market now. The BuyVM KVM 128MB is $25/year, is there anything cheaper than that? Does Xen support the ppp_mppe module? I'm looking for something in the US, I live in the bottom area of IL so something in Chicago might be my best bet (but honestly, I don't care about location as long as it's in the USA and the provider isn't some kiddie host).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

KVM has a higher overhead than OpenVZ, so it's always going to be higher than what that same provider could charge for OVZ. I strongly recommend Hostigation or SonicVPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

There is no need for KVM to do this.
    PPTP works in OVZ. For a tutorial check here:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15&sid=8b53996d9fccfc17150c75c9b3997dc6
    It is verified working in 50 MB OVZ VM, but only tested in Prometeus machines dunno about other ppl's modules. I heard it is working in Damian's 32 MB, but haven't tested myself.
    M

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique said: It is verified working in 50 MB OVZ VM, but only tested in Prometeus machines dunno about other ppl's modules.

Works on our server and I think should work on others including but not limited to, IPXCore, SecureDragon and BuyVm.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited August 2012

PPTP works fine for me on BuyVM, but I want to enable encryption, which requires MPPE (which the OVZ BuyVMs don't support).

Maybe I'll just try installing OpenVPN instead, I think there's an iOS client for that somewhere.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am a complete n00b regarding ios, but can't you do something like ssh tunnel ?
    M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Um?

You sure we don't have MPPE? I would think it was auto loaded. If not ticket and we'll load it up. It's also possible .18 doesn't work with it properly but was pretty sure it was in our autoload list.

Francisco

• JTRJTR Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: I am a complete n00b regarding ios, but can't you do something like ssh tunnel ?

M

I set that up with iSSH and a proxy in network settings, but it's hackish and only works for a single domain at a time... I suppose I could set up some sort of proxy on my VPS to serve up pages when requests are made to my VPS's IP?

On the other hand, I could also install MobileTerminal and try doing it correctly with SSH (full proxying, no need to change settings for every site), but I'm not sure if it'd work.

• JTRJTR Member

@Francisco said: Um?

You sure we don't have MPPE? I would think it was auto loaded. If not ticket and we'll load it up. It's also possible .18 doesn't work with it properly but was pretty sure it was in our autoload list.

Francisco

You will need to purchase a KVM based product for MPPE as this feature is not supported by our current kernel.

Ticket ID #219424.

ppp_mppe 39688 0

It looks to be loaded just fine?

Francisco

• JTRJTR Member

@Francisco said: ppp_mppe 39688 0

It looks to be loaded just fine?

Francisco

Hmm, both "lsmod" and "modprobe ppp_mppe" aren't showing anything. Is there another command that would list/look for loaded modules?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: I am a complete n00b regarding ios, but can't you do something like ssh tunnel ?

VPN via iOS is a pain. Honestly I point people to the VPN Express app. It just loads up a ready to go VPN profile and you pay next to nothing for decent bandwidth allotments. Cheapest VPN service I've used and I've never had an issue with speed up to 20mbit. I enjoy doing plenty on my own, but that is one area that just isn't worth it in my opinion. I think I paid something like $5 for 10GB, which is a large allotment for a mobile device. Still haven't gone over it in 5 months.

@JTR said: Hmm, both "lsmod" and "modprobe ppp_mppe" aren't showing anything. Is there another command that would list/look for loaded modules?

You can't run lsmod on OpenVZ :)

Francisco

• JTRJTR Member

@Francisco said: You can't run lsmod on OpenVZ :)

Francisco

That explains a lot! Still, I see this error in /var/log/messages whenever I try to connect with encryption enabled..

Aug 20 22:37:42 buyvm pppd[5242]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but not available)

And this on my laptop (running OSX, I'm using it instead of my iPod because I can then be absolutely sure that it's connecting with the correct encryption settings).

8/20/12 1:37:41.287 PM pppd: MPPE required, but MS-CHAP[v2] auth not performed.

Does anyone from the community know what's wrong? I thought it's because of not having kernel support, but according to Francisco, I have it, so I don't know the issue..

Here's the relevant settings on the pptpd server.

# OpenSSL licensed ppp-2.4.1 fork with MPPE only, kernel module mppe.o
    # {{{
    -chap
    -chapms
    # Require the peer to authenticate itself using MS-CHAPv2 [Microsoft
    # Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol, Version 2] authentication.
    +chapms-v2
    # Require MPPE encryption
    # (note that MPPE requires the use of MSCHAP-V2 during authentication)
    #mppe-40        # enable either 40-bit or 128-bit, not both
    mppe-128
    mppe required,stateless
    # }}}

I've tried a lot of different configurations on both the client and the server. I can connect every time without any issues if I disable encryption on the client, but if I enable it, it doesn't work.

I'll do some testing in a little bit and see if I can spot what's up :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1JTR
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@JTR
    Who answered your ticket since you got a negative response there?

• JTRJTR Member

Who answered your ticket since you got a negative response there?

I'd prefer not to mention him publicly, it was a simple mistake on his part.

@JTR said: Does anyone from the community know what's wrong? I thought it's because of not having kernel support, but according to Francisco, I have it, so I don't know the issue..

It's loaded on the node, but it's possible OVZ 2.6.18 isn't emulating it.

.32 is in the works, just not this very second :)

Francisco

• Likely Anthony, he's the admin replying to a lot of tickets (for me anyway)

But yeah, simple mistake, nothing to fuss over.

Thanked by 1netomx