Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage suggestion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage suggestion

I am looking for suggestion on hard drive setup of a dedicated server which is going to be split into a few VMs to be used for hosting personal websites & game servers. Pure SSD is not an option because I need more than 3 TB space. I just want to know what the pros & cons of each of the below setup are.

4 x 4 TB SAS LSI 9271-4i or

2 X 4 TB SAS CacheCade 480 GB SSD LSI 9271-4i

Comments

• @vpslegend said:
    I am looking for suggestion on hard drive setup of a dedicated server which is going to be split into a few VMs to be used for hosting personal websites & game servers. Pure SSD is not an option because I need more than 3 TB space. I just want to know what the pros & cons of each of the below setup are.

4 x 4 TB SAS LSI 9271-4i or

2 X 4 TB SAS CacheCade 480 GB SSD LSI 9271-4i

RAID10 capability vs RAID1 w/ Cache?

• @wych said:
    RAID10 capability vs RAID1 w/ Cache?

Yes I am asking in terms of read/write performance & easy of rebuilding in case of drive failure. I have enough experience to know that RAID 10 gives better read/write performance but no idea how much of a difference CacheCade makes with RAID 1.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I was not aware what was cachecade before i read your message.
    So take everything below with comas.

If i understood what i read on dell website comparing raid10 with raid1 with cache cade is similar to compare your raid10 read/write perf with a ssd read perf(the gain of cachecade is only on read perf) because it seems cache cade system is nonetheless a ssd drive connected to a raid controller to read frequently accessed datas.

I would say raid10 is still better considering cachecade gain is only on read perf.