Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipsystemsltd.com - false suspensions to cover low prices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipsystemsltd.com - false suspensions to cover low prices

2»

Comments

• @Mark_R said:
    A moderator has my permission to close this thread at will. I do not want to have this ended up in a pitchfork thread in any way. All i wanted was to share MY experience. In the end it could have been a honest simple mistake from johnkoozle - its just my word against his.

Thanks.

Funny enough, I recognize some of those fake names in that one spam screenshot you sent. I've had the same people sign up and abuse my service. I've also made the same mistake before, and suspended a user for spam because of delayed reports. (turns out the person I suspended on accident and had to unsuspend was a spammer too lol!)

I agree with your decision to part ways though. It was simple enough to figure out immediately. (AND, you were provisioned with a blacklisted IP)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

Moral of the story, don't reuse the IPs of former customers so fast. We quarantine old IPs for at least a year before giving them to new customers.

But i guess this can't work when you don't own the IPs and they cost you a lot.

Thanked by 2Lee KeyJey
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Mark_R said: Looks like an abuse report from the previous customer, i changed the rdns from take.femei.org to 3.hath.wasted24.com at the very start.

What I wonder is how on earth a new customer ends up with an IP having old customer's rDNS still set (and not just a TTL issue). This is gross incompetence on the host's part right there.

Thanked by 4Jonchun ATHK bersy NeoGen
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

@Mark_R said:

Hmm hentai.

• Got the 256MB one for 3,50$/year and works ok this far. Definitely not fast but very cheap and ok as slave dns server. Didn't suspend it yet, got it for 2 weeks now.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2015

@Mark_R: do yourself a favor when signing up for a new service:

Check the assigned IPs (and the rDNS!) on every blacklist known to mankind (or just use mxtoolbox, lol), and create a ticket outlining which blacklists the IPs were found on at signup. This is now officially part of my new signup mantra.

I have seen enough times where I received a "dirty" IP on a service I have not used (and instance is NOT running -- shutdown at the console!!)

Cheers

Edit: And the problems (from the previous customer) can keep coming AFTER you have signed up, including:

• Mail servers trying to connect (possibly to deliver bounces)
    • Bot network traffic trying to work with whatever was residing on the instance before you took it over
    Thanked by 2Mark_R linuxthefish
  • @rm_ said:
    What I wonder is how on earth a new customer ends up with an IP having old customer's rDNS still set (and not just a TTL issue). This is gross incompetence on the host's part right there.

This happens all the time. I have tons of VMs that came like that. Even from some of the well known good guys like InceptionHosting and INIZ.

• LeeLee Veteran

Mark_R said: A moderator has my permission to close this thread at will.

Seems fine at the moment, I think it's a worthwhile debate.

I had the situation previously with dediserve where they gave me an IP with a VM that I had not even accessed that came under a DDoS attack right away. It was null routed and basically the responsibility was passed to me, they were going to wait so many hours before removing the NR despite my initial claims that it could not possibly have anything to do with me.

Whilst there is a risk of these things happening and I don't lay blame at the door of the provider who would not have known it was going to happen, I do however wonder how some things like this should be handled.

@rds100 said:
    Moral of the story, don't reuse the IPs of former customers so fast. We quarantine old IPs for at least a year before giving them to new customers.

This, a year may be too long for some but I see threads selling unwanted VPS or Dedicated and I do wonder how much it's been "milked" that you no longer need it. are you buying a dirty IP? How many people would check?

It does to me at least make sense to not immediately re-issue an IP to another customer and have some sort of cooling off period or checking before it goes back out. Appreciate the logistics of that are not quite as simple as it sounds.

Thanked by 2Mark_R aglodek
  • johnkoozlejohnkoozle Member
    edited February 2015

@rds100 said:

For VPS how is this supposed to be done?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@johnkoozle said:
    For VPS how is this supposed to be done?

I guess you could suspend for X amount of time before terminating anyone? Obviously a year may be a bit much but just thinking outside of the box.

• @Jar said:
    I guess you could suspend for X amount of time before terminating anyone? Obviously a year may be a bit much but just thinking outside of the box.

That's actually... genius. And quite easy to setup. Only issue is with hosts who do this is the suspended vps still take up resources (not just the ip), and you're gonna want to free that up. (little difficult with kvm/xen)

• rds100 said: We quarantine old IPs for at least a year before giving them to new customers.

johnkoozle said: For VPS how is this supposed to be done?

He's LIR so this makes the difference, guess.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2015

johnkoozle said: For VPS how is this supposed to be done?

Create a VPS named "deadpool2015" and suspend it. When a customer cancels his VPS, add his former IP to the "deadpool2015" VPS. This way their IP will not get reused. Next year you create a "deadpool2016" VPS and start adding the IPs of people who cancelled during 2016 to that VPS. And in 2017 you can delete the "deadpool2015" VPS and the IPs will be freed and recycled. Of course this can only work if you have a lot of free IPs.

Of course you could do this per month isntead of per year if you want. I.e. deadpool201502, deadpool201503, etc.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

@rds100 said:

However there is a problem if the period is 1 year: the IPs from Jan 1 will be freed the same day as the IPs from Dec 31. To be 100% sure you would need to create that system every 6 months and wait 12 more months, or create one every month and let it stay inactive a full year.

• HentaiAtHome Learn Something New Everyday.

• @Traffic there is no problem, the IPs are freed after between 12 and 23 months. Because you free the 2015 IPs only in 2017.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

@rds100 said:
    Traffic there is no problem, the IPs are freed after between 12 and 23 months. Because you free the 2015 IPs only in 2017.

Then it's OK, however all this would be solved if the provider uses an open source control panel.
    It'd be trivial to solve this problem (depending on the implementation, a few [2-3] words might do).
    May be a good feature request for SolusVM. Should be a simple WHERE clause...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

joereid said: This happens all the time. I have tons of VMs that came like that. Even from some of the well known good guys like InceptionHosting and INIZ.

And? Nobody says good guys don't make unacceptable blunders from time to time, if what you say is correct, this is one of them. Giving a new customer some old customers's rDNS is akin to giving them the previous customer's VPS with their data and programs still there.

• I suppose it's plausible to hit users of a given provider by sending forged messages to SpamCop. If certain IP is mentioned many times and wisely spread in time, provider might take action and cancel/suspend the victim's server.

Apart from studying actual customer activity and going deeply into the analysis of situation there's no simple way to get protected from such an attack.

Note that first action that should be made when buying VPS is changing its IPs PTR records (reverse DNS records), to diminish the possible collateral damage from the above attack type.

Personally,I have been hit with such an attack several times, but providers took my side and studied all the data prior to taking any action (i.e., prior to doing nothing else).

• geekalot said: Check the assigned IPs (and the rDNS!) on every blacklist known to mankind (or just use mxtoolbox, lol), and create a ticket outlining which blacklists the IPs were found on at signup. This is now officially part of my new signup mantra.

Do you flip out when no-traffic-or-importance-whatsoever blacklist lists you

• well i have got the 9$ plan with them... i love their service , hopefully they will stay for longer.
    I did get about 2 strange restarts for my vps..
    one few days ago , where they kept it offline for reason i don't know. when i opened the ticket , they said , "It wont happen again"..

the other one was yesterday , but this time , the vps got restarted.. Other than that , i absolutely love the service , fast and stable.

• @doughmanes said:
    Do you flip out when no-traffic-or-importance-whatsoever blacklist lists you

Huh? Not sure I understand what you mean there??

But, I don't "flip out." I create a ticket informing the provider. Whether I just carry on using it or I request a different instance depends on my intended use. You don't want to end up in a situation like OP where you may be blamed (or billed) for something that isn't your fault.

BTW, I especially suggest the background checking of the IP in particular for anyone who chooses a provider that has a "cleanup fee" in their ToS for blacklisted IPs.

• geekalot said: Not sure I understand what you mean there??

Do you seriously think Jim Bob's Blacklist impacts mail delivery?

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2015

@doughmanes said:
    Do you seriously think Jim Bob's Blacklist impacts mail delivery?

Dude, are we even speaking the same language??

I am NOT talking about mail delivery ... I am talking about providers who would place blame (and potentially costs --> i.e., financial -OR- other types, such as "FraudRecord" etc) after blaming you for what was caused by someone else.

As I said above, it all depends on what your intended purpose is for the instance. For web stuff, it doesn't have much impact.

But, since you mentioned it, yes, some Blacklists can affect your email deliverability, if delivering email is what you plan to use the instance for.

Edit: Added "if delivering email ..." to final sentence to clarify the statement.

• I check most IPs, especially with newer providers I'm not familiar with, for being blacklisted. For the exact reason @geekalot is listing out, being blamed for it/held responsible later on.

At the very minimum I'll ticket the provider and let them know as soon as I receive the IP(s).

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • sunsanesunsane Member
    edited February 2015

I'm currently using 10 VPSes, each 1GB memory from ipsystemsltd. The IP addresses all good. It's been 2 weeks since I use their service. So far they're doing good.

But for once or twice, the website was down for a couple of minutes.

The support is not that good though. But I rarely need their support. No offense.. :D

In the end, I'll buy some more VPS service from them, especially when they make a promo. :D

@johnkoozle : I'm sorry if I use your memory out of limit many times. Please don't suspend my VPS. :D

Edit :
    Hey, I also recommended their service to my friends. And they're using the service now.

• johnkoozlejohnkoozle Member
    edited February 2015

Thanks @sunsane

Our VPS sell pretty quick we're at give or take 800 containers now.

• Got some good tips from this (unfortunate?) thread - I like the idea of checking IP addresses before touching the box.

Have to say I have bought 3 x 256Mb boxes from IPSystems Ltd to mess with (Ansible etc) and in the last week or two since purchase no problems. Hope it stays that way!

• @johnkoozle said:
    Thanks sunsane

Our VPS sell pretty quick we're at give or take 800 containers now.

Impressive numbers. I wish I could sell that many. Kudos!

@Fatboy said:
    Got some good tips from this (unfortunate?) thread - I like the idea of checking IP addresses before touching the box.

Have to say I have bought 3 x 256Mb boxes from IPSystems Ltd to mess with (Ansible etc) and in the last week or two since purchase no problems. Hope it stays that way!

Always a good idea. I appreciate it when my clients are proactive like that. Mistakes do happen.

Thanked by 1Fatboy
  • Yes, knowing the range of IPs likely to be assigned to would be most helpful.