Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running your own DNS server... yay or nay?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running your own DNS server... yay or nay?

TomTom Member

I've been pondering the idea for quite some time, but can't make up my mind.

Advantages and disadvantages of running your own DNS server?

Comments

• I have to due to vesta.

Personally I am now in the position where I will be creating my own over next few weeks in my infrastructure refresh.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I have to due to vesta.

Personally I am now in the position where I will be creating my own over next few weeks in my infrastructure refresh.

Yeah. Iirc Vesta uses BIND which is what I'll probably end up doing if I decide to.

• @Yoda said:
    Yeah. Iirc Vesta uses BIND which is what I'll probably end up doing if I decide to.

Same. I do like Vestas ability to cluster

Thanked by 1Tom
  • No advantage or disadvantaged really, make sure it's not recursive and limit the responses per second or add ACL..

You really don't want an open DNS server..

Thanked by 2Tom wolfman
  • @ATHK said:
    No advantage or disadvantaged really, make sure it's not recursive and limit the responses per second or add ACL..

You really don't want an open DNS server..

Mhm. I should add that it would be private just for my use. Thanks ^^

• Man I suck at quoting...

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2015

@Yoda said:
    Man I suck at quoting...

Be sure to put an extra blank line between quote and reply.

I'm running my own DNS setup powered by powerdns and mysql. At least it's a good approach to learn something new. And it works fine in most time.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited February 2015

@Yoda said:
    Man I suck at quoting...

Pro-tip: Hit enter after hitting quote, leaving a newline. It makes sure your quotes look nice and pretty :)

Thanked by 2netomx Tom
  • @0xdragon said:

So.. This should be okay..

Thanks all :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited February 2015

I generally don't think there is much point, there are so many reliable ones that you can use for free (well, included with your hosting/domain packages). I've used Linode's a few times and mostly just keep with Namecheap.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • I've always used my domain provider's DNS servers and never had any problems.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Cloudflare is by far a better option for a name server. I highly suggest you don't build a dns server unless you really need it for some specific application.

Thanked by 4Tom netomx Cakey Dylan
  • edited February 2015

Nay

... except if you have a lot of domains and:

• you're using a lof of different registrars
    • your registrars don't have an API
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

I feel people in this thread are mixing up running your own recursive resolver, and running your own authoritative DNS to host your zones for your own domains.

Both are a good idea, if for nothing else then to not have anyone else but yourself to blame when "DNS is down". (And spread across different LEB providers and diverse locations, this will barely ever happen for you).

Thanked by 2perennate eddynetweb
    edited February 2015

Mun said: I highly suggest you don't build a dns server

Like it's some sort of a building, perhaps even a skyscraper?

Installing one package (nsd3) and writing a text file does not really qualify as "Bulding a DNS Server".

Thanked by 1perennate
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2015

@Mun said:
    Cloudflare is by far a better option for a name server.

A quick counter example is Cloudflare being blocked (at least partially) in China.

• EDIT -

And linode DNS was blocked once as well.

Thanked by 3sonontse Tom cnbeining
  • BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited February 2015

Been using my own mini-cluster BIND setup (1 master + 2 slaves) for 8 months+. Never had a problem, but I eventually switched to Rage4 & CloudFlare. Would never look back, too much of a hassle. And if you need custom work, you can always use their API.

Thanked by 2aglodek Tom
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2015

@Blanoz said: Would never look back, too much of a hassle.

Could you elaborate on what hassles exactly have you experienced with your BIND setup?

• I'm for it, as I have alway run my own mail and dns servers.
    but I am a bit of a control freak :-0

Thanked by 2Tom aglodek
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Just use cloudflare (DNS only not their page caching etc). It's one of the fastest DNS services out there (http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/) that's free.

If you need exotic features go for NSone they're awesome and have a free package as well up to 1 million queries.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Using Cloudflare's DNS :)

Thanked by 1Tom
  • If you are talking about an authoritative server, for the average user, there is no point. Peanut gallery, please pay close attention to "average user" before frothing at the mouth with obvious exceptions and personal requirements.

Thanked by 2Tom geekalot

Microlinux said: please pay close attention to "average user"

The "average user" also does not host websites and does not have any domains in the first place.

Thanked by 1asf
  • @rm_ said:
    The "average user" also does not host websites and does not have any domains in the first place.

Yeah no. Plenty of "average" users that would not benefit from self-hosting DNS run their own sites and domains.

Microlinux said: Plenty of "average" users that would not benefit from self-hosting DNS

That's about as non-controversial as you could possibly get. Congratulations, nobody argues with that!
    But in my opinion being an "average" user is nothing to be proud of.
    Strive to be extraordinary users. :p

• I got my own ones with Bind. It's geek stuff I'd say, but it's fun (when it's working :p ). I normally used ClouDNS but wanted to host unlimited domains at one place so I setup my own ones and they're working fine (got 3 overall, small yearly VPS are good for that job).

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2015

Unless you have VERY unique or specific requirements (i.e., very funky GeoDNS or algorithm-based answers depending on who is sending the query, etc) .... don't bother IMHO.

I self-host everything I can like the next person, but DNS is one of those things that most people should really consider leaving to "professionals." (Yes, there are different levels of "professionals." Not every so-called "hosting company" can or should, really do DNS).

• Risk: If you have an outage, attack, or personal issues, EVERYTHING (your web, email, etc) can go down .... until YOU fix it.

• Reward: You can do some cool sh*t and host as many domains/queries as your servers can handle

Just get a Rage4 account (free if you get iwStack) and call it a day. You won't regret it.

Or, try other DNS providers if you need to; there are plenty of cost-effective DNS solutions out there for the "average" user.

Edit: Just think of Liam Neeson in Taken 1 "I have a very special set of skills ...." speech. Unless you really can and do live this stuff every day and have a LOT of time to tinker until you have found the "perfect" recipe (while your websites and email potentially suffer outages) .... "let it go"

• Or just use CloudFlare and be done with it.

• I've had to move stuff away from Rage4 - Google resolvers wouldn't pull the records. Changed over to GoDaddy DNS and it pulled it in within minutes

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2015

@DeanClinton said:
    I've had to move stuff away from Rage4 - Google resolvers wouldn't pull the records. Changed over to GoDaddy DNS and it pulled it in within minutes

@DeanClinton (not to derail this thread) but check your Rage4 "AXFR whitelist" setting for the domain. I have noticed that once I put a value in there, I can no longer leave it empty; I have to keep the list of my non-Rage4 secondaries updated there and not rely on it automatically picking up the NS records for granting access.