Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Raid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About Raid

shilenoshileno Member
edited February 2015 in General

Hi

For a cpanel server, which is better:

4 x 500GB RAID10

or

2 x 1TB Raid 1

I am clear that the available space will be the same, I want to know which offers better performance

Comments

• edited February 2015

Removed, better link below.

• I think the RAID 10 will be better because both writing and reading will be faster with that.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

RAID 10 will always outperform RAID 1 since there is striping involved. You will in theory get close to twice the amount of I/O performance in RAID 10 than you would in RAID 1.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Well it could be 2x 1TB SSD RAID1

@perennate said:
    Well it could be 2x 1TB SSD RAID1

RAID 10 will still perform better with 4x 500GB SSD than 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1.

• MeanServers said: RAID 10 will still perform better with 4x 500GB SSD than 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1.

Don't be so sure. With RAID1 of SSDs you MIGHT get the benefit of TRIM, while with RAID10 it's a lot less likely that TRIM would work. At least TRIM can work with software RAID1 but not with software RAID10.
    Also recovering data from a failed RAID1 is much easier than recovering from a failed RAID10.

• Go with the RAID 10, as you said the capacity will be the same but performance will be better with RAID 10.

• RAID 10.

@rds100 said:

I guess it would depend on his setup, you are right, we don't have enough information to give a good answer if he is using SSD. I think the recovering data part from a failed RAID array is moot since he asked strictly about performance.

• SSDs are out of my budget (for the capacity that I need).

The query is regarding normal HDD

• point to ponder

do older processors (E5540) need RAID10 more than newer ones (E3-v2)?

@shileno said:
    SSDs are out of my budget (for the capacity that I need).

The query is regarding normal HDD

Go with 4x 500GB hard drives in a RAID 10 array then. If your budget permits, get a RAID card with battery backed cache as well, if not software RAID 10 will suffice but the performance won't be as good as hardware RAID 10 with battery backed cache.

• @MeanServers said:
    Go with 4x 500GB hard drives in a RAID 10 array then. If your budget permits, get a RAID card with battery backed cache as well, if not software RAID 10 will suffice but the performance won't be as good as hardware RAID 10 with battery backed cache.

Who ever created your new advert needs a 6 pack of beer. I love it :P

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • banana