Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspending VPS on Bandwidth Limit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suspending VPS on Bandwidth Limit

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some community thoughts on the subject. I realize that most providers do not suspend VPS on bandwidth limit (just charge overage), but would the community agree or disagree with my decision to suspend on bandwidth cap for EXTREMELY low end boxes? I've been doing some numbers (and would like to minimize loss), and I just don't feel it's worth the risk of overage on stuff that doesn't even cost a dollar a month.

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I think most providers do this with virtual servers?!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I dont know of any VPS providers that dont auto suspend on BW overage so I think it will be fine.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I dont know of any VPS providers that dont auto suspend on BW overage so I think it will be fine.
    @mikho said:
    I think most providers do this with virtual servers?!

Really? It may be because I don't (usually) rent super low end VPS, but every provider I've been with has simply billed for overage instead of suspending. Granted, I've only gone over like twice in my life, but still.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2015

Pretty much all VPS providers in the ultra budget market suspend for bandwidth overage. Read here what happened when a provider tried to be nice & didn't use to suspend users for bandwidth overage. An abusive customer sent continuous DDoS saturating the port which resulted in huge packet loss from the node at a time when the owner was sleeping. When owner came online, he suspended the user but the DDoS script had already done its job. On top of that, the abusive customer opened a thread trying to defame the provider. Loads of other issues can also happen but I have just given one example which I remember right now.

Thanked by 2Jonchun lazyt
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

each to their own I suppose.

just my personal opinion and nothing more, I would rather not silently run up a huge bill and I would expect that a lot of customers would stamp their feet about paying and go elsewhere.

Personally I think the best way (although not always possible) is a downgrade i.e. 500GB @ gbit or 100mbit then 5mbit max after that unless they want to pay to uncap.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    each to their own I suppose.

just my personal opinion and nothing more, I would rather not silently run up a huge bill and I would expect that a lot of customers would stamp their feet about paying and go elsewhere.

Personally I think the best way (although not always possible) is a downgrade i.e. 500GB @ gbit or 100mbit then 5mbit max after that unless they want to pay to uncap.

Good idea. I'll take a look at this type of solution.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited February 2015

Yes even I like the policy OVH, Contabo, First-Root & several other EU based hosts take regarding their VPS lineups i.e. allow several TB traffic to be used but when that limit is reached, restrict the port to 1/5 or 1/10.

• No one likes unexpected bills unless they have alot of money to throw away.. better shutdown the server when the bandwidth limit gets reached. But yeah.. this depends on what audiance you target - if you only have companies using your services then you better keep the servers running and charge for any overusages.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ideally it would be a panel choice. The customer could toggle if they want

• suspend VPS
    • authorize overage charge up to XX GB
    • after 95%, cap bandwidth rate, at 99% suspend

etc.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • If I were you, I would suspend it and give them the chance to purchase a larger allowance, if they dont it just stays suspended until the bandwidth is reset, if they do, you just increase it and un-suspend. Thats how I imagine most hosts that have limits would do things.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • Why not throttle bw to 10mbps on overage

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • raindog308 said: Ideally it would be a panel choice. The customer could toggle if they want

That would be ideal. However I think the OP is concerned that being an extremely low end market they may attract less than ideal clients. Now if I were a less than ideal client, I might say that I agree to all overages without having any intent to pay them even knowing that I will certainly incur them.

jcaleb said: Why not throttle bw to 10mbps on overage

That's certainly a great idea. They stay online, and you have time to sort things out without getting clobbered for overages yourself.

You could also consider a preauth or prepay system if you are concerned about being compensated for resources consumed.