Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V using static IPv6.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V using static IPv6.

myhkenmyhken Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Hello.

Dedicated server from Hetzner, running Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V

Now I'm working on getting IPv6 to work properly. It works great on my main server.
It works great on my Windows VM.
It will not work in Linux, just local on the server, not from the internet.

I have put some xxx to mask my IP. On the pictures I have hide them.

My IPv6 settings is:
Main IP 2a01:4f8:xxx:xxxx:: /64
Gateway: fe80::1
DNS:
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::

First, my Windows VM created in Hyper-V:

The network IPv6 settings

I can ping the server from my home computer, like I also can ping the main server.

I can connect to the VM (and main server) with etc RDC using the IPv6 address. all is working great.

Then, the Linux VM.

I'm using the following setup:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0 BOOTPROTO=static ONBOOT=yes HWADDR=00:15:5D:89:48:06 TYPE=Ethernet UUID=d5b0ef67-db19-4d05-9adc-b70958ce36e6 NM_CONTROLLED=yes IPV6INIT=yes IPV6ADDR=2a01:4f8:xxx:xxxx:0000:0000:0000:0005 IPV6_DEFAULTGW=fe80::1

/etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes NETWORKING_IPV6=yes HOSTNAME=xxxxxxxx

ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:5D:89:48:06 inet6 addr: fe80::215:5dff:fe89:4806/64 Scope:Link inet6 addr: 2a01:4f8:xxx:xxxx::5/64 Scope:Global UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:186 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:117 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:21324 (20.8 KiB) TX bytes:29787 (29.0 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1 RX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:52 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:9393 (9.1 KiB) TX bytes:9393 (9.1 KiB)

From the server I can ping the VM and I can use SSH to login, everything looks fine:

What are I'm missing. Why can't I connect to the world with this VM? It has no internet connection, because I can't ping anything inside the VM either. And I can't ping it from the outside, just from the main server.

Anybody that can help me? (This time I use static IPs) I also will ask for help tomorrow to create a IPv6 subnet on the main server, and on Hyper-V to use DHCP to all the VMs so they get IPv6 automatically. But thats tomorrow. Why can I use a static IP on the Windows VM and not on the Linux VM?

Comments

• Might try using Google DNS (2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844) if that fixes it then try using the DNS of your choice.

• @talsit

I tried this now, in the eth0 file I used DNS1 and DNS2 with your DNS. Then I took at /etc/init.d/network restart

Then I get this error, and still no ping to the outside:
    [root@xxxxxxx ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ] Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ] Bringing up interface eth0: ERROR : [ipv6_set_default_route] Given IPv6 default gateway 'fe80::1' is link-local, but no scope or gateway device is specified [ OK ] [root@xxxxxxx ~]# ping6 ipv6.google.com unknown host

• Nobody that has a clue on this issue? Sorry for bumping the thread.

• The error message should be clear enough.

but no scope or gateway device is specified

What should you do in that case? Specify a scope or a gateway device of course!

For example,
    IPV6_DEFAULTGW=fe80::1%eth0
    in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @socials said:
    The error message should be clear enough.

but no scope or gateway device is specified

What should you do in that case? Specify a scope or a gateway device of course!

For example,
    IPV6_DEFAULTGW=fe80::1%eth0
    in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Thats was that. Now I'm online. cool. Spinning up a new VM to see if it's works there also.
    Thank you very much for the help. A so little thing like that.

• @socials

Did not work on the second new server, using all the same settings as the first, of course changing to a new IP.
    Will try VM #3 now.

It work fine on new Windows VMs, so it's a Linux setting I'm missing.

• I know this thread is old, but can anyone else help me?
    I am stuck with the same issue. But i cant even get it to work from my Windows VM.

I have managed to get this far: I can ping the IP of the VM from the hyperV host (but intermittent, works for 10 seconds then stops for 10 seconds). That on a continuous ping.
    Very strange.