Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi DNS/Domain problem. Requesting help..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi DNS/Domain problem. Requesting help..

ChantazChantaz Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Hey,

I own a KS3 node with Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit LTS version on it.
I want to host a small website on the server. That i can configure, install etc.

BUT. I have huge problem with dns configuration that already cost me few days and i really have no clue what to do...

So here's what i have:

1. A domain in dot.tk configured with free dns (ns01.freenom.com)
  2. Kimsufi DNS servers like : NS9484598-ipblablabla.eu /ns.kimsufi.com

I tried few guides with bind configuration, hostname configuration and ispconfig. Can't get it to work.

Can someone point me to a good direction? I can use the Freednses provided by dot.tk, just need a little help with the server configuration...

Thanks,
Chantaz

UPDATE: Everything works, thanks everyone!

Comments

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2015

Just create an A record with name as "@" or your domain name and target as your server's ip.

What you are trying to do would require registering nameservers under your .tk domain and I'm not sure that's allowed.

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • You need to point an A record to the IP address of your server. You pointed ns1.example.tk and ns2.example.tk to your IP address. Enter "example.tk" or "@" (instead of NS1/NS2) to point the domain to the IP address.

Set the TTL to a lower value (like 300) , so if you screw up you won't have to wait for hours for the new records to work.

You seem very new to servers. It is vital that you install updates regularly, or do it automatically. (it works on Ubuntu,too)

If you install anything, do not leave it unconfigured (e.g. "I'll set it up tomorrow" ).

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • @Abdussamad said:
    Just create an A record with name as "@" or your domain name and target as your server's ip.

What you are trying to do would require registering nameservers under your .tk domain and I'm not sure that's allowed.

I can't use @, but when i put my domain name in, it saves the changes but then it's NS1 again...

• Can I just add how you blocked the IP in those images but a simple lookup on that domain will show us the IP

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • Use Cloudflare's Free DNS, And turn off all cloudflare functionality and just use them for DNS if you want. (Trying to save you time)

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • Chantaz said:

I can't use @, but when i put my domain name in, it saves the changes but then it's NS1 again...

Leave the name field blank:

https://my.freenom.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=4

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Can I just add how you blocked the IP in those images but a simple lookup on that domain will show us the IP

Ah yeah didn't notice i didn't block the domain name. Fixed. Ehh, thanks.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited February 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Can I just add how you blocked the IP in those images but a simple lookup on that domain will show us the IP

Oddly enough if you do a dig for ns1.hisdomain.tk you get an nxdomain.

• @Chantaz said:

No problem ;) plus OVH has DDoS protection anyway :P

• @Abdussamad said:

Aw. It was actually saving and the record was blank afterwards. Well, ill wait and see if it works. Thanks

• Chantaz said: Aw. It was actually saving and the record was blank afterwards. Well, ill wait and see if it works. Thanks

It's working. Your root domain now points to 91...

Thanked by 1Chantaz
  • @4n0nx said:

You seem very new to servers. It is vital that you install updates regularly, or do it automatically. (it works on Ubuntu,too)

If you install anything, do not leave it unconfigured (e.g. "I'll set it up tomorrow" ).

Yeah i run updates regulary. This is my first Kimsufi, i had VPSes previously tho. Thanks :)

Thanked by 14n0nx