Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No such thing as burst ram in OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No such thing as burst ram in OpenVZ

CoreyCorey Member
edited August 2012 in General

There is no such thing as burst ram in an openvz environment. Where did this handy invalid marketing term originate?

Thanked by 1Jeffrey

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

Try explaining beancounters to a newbie, guess it's easier just to say "x amount of burst ram".

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

It's an easy selling point, so you don't have to get a million tickets asking to explain it I guess.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

Thankfully we have vSwap now. I always felt (most) providers advertised burst ram incorrectly anyhow.

They'd say something such as:
    256 dedicated
    512 burst

Which to me would mean to me that I have 256 + 512 for a total of 768, when they actually mean 256 + 256 total 512. If it was me, I would advertise 256 dedi 256 burst, makes more sense.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @nunim said: If it was me, I would advertise 256 dedi 256 burst, makes more sense.

But it is incorrect.

• @sleddog said: But it is incorrect.

Why?

• @NanoG6 said: Why?

Because it total you do have 512mb of burst ram, not 256mb. Burst = total

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

woo vswap

• To be honest, I much prefer "burst" over vswap because it's not artificially slowed down and it's usually run on the much more stable 2.6.18 kernel, not the shitty 2.6.32 kernel that I constantly see being blamed for problems with nodes locking up and whatnot.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited August 2012

@NanoG6 said: @sleddog said: But it is incorrect.

Why?

1. Because there is no such thing as "burst" memory, as Corey correctly states. Saying that a 256/512 MB OpenVz container has 256 MB "burst" is no more correct than saying it has 512 MB "burst".

2. The 512 MB figure is still important. It's the privvmpages limit, the amount of memory that can be allocated.

Advertising an OpenVz container as "256/512 MB" is perfectly fine, we just need a more accurate word than "burst" to describe what the 512 MB actually is :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

s/burstable/usable

• @Corey said: There is no such thing as burst ram in an openvz environment. Where did this handy invalid marketing term originate?

You have made offer posts that offer "burst" ram. Your website has no details on the type of ram offered.

What was the purpose of this thread?

• @Nick_A said: woo vswap

I much prefer vswap and would like more hosts to offer them. Trying to memory map files to 'virtual memory' fails completely with burst and made me have to get KVM/Xen VPS instead. vswap probably would have worked.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@NickM Swapping typically slows down a system, in a normal environment. This is nothing more than becoming closer to true virtualization. It is artificial because it has to be to create the effect that is similar to a typical linux system without effecting other containers. As for .32, it's fine. Plenty of providers are running without node crashes. BuyVM is the one who vocally strays from it here, but they also have a model that differs from your typical vps provider, and their scale of things may present unique issues.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @sleddog said: we just need a more accurate word than "burst" to describe what the 512 MB actually is :)

Yes I'm agree with you :)

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

@NickM said: not the shitty 2.6.32 kernel that I constantly see being blamed for problems with nodes locking up and whatnot.

One of my 2.6.32 kernel OpenVZ VPSs is at 90 days uptime, and my own openvz node with 2.6.32 is at 29 days.

@KuJoe said: s/burstable/allocatable

Fixed.

• @NanoG6 said: Why?

because the privvmpages limit is 512mb and the oomguarpages limit is 256mb

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

@sleddog said: ... we just need a more accurate word than "burst" to describe what the 512 MB actually is :)

Agreed.

@concerto49 said: Because it total you do have 512mb of burst ram, not 256mb. Burst = total

But you don't... you have 256mb of burst ram ontop of your 256 dedicated, giving you a burtsable total of 512 but not 512 of burstram. My dedicated ram shouldn't be included in burst ram since it's dedicated to me thus not burstable ram. I understand how burstram works, its just the marketing phrasing the bothers me. Either way, lets all ditch it and move to vSwap. :)

• We haven't had any problems out of .32 since we started using it about 5 months ago.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Corey said: We haven't had any problems out of .32 since we started using it about 5 months ago.

Same minus a couple months.

• swap or vswap