Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has memory issues? Can anyone confirm?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has memory issues? Can anyone confirm?

AsimAsim Member
edited August 2012 in Help

I am a VPS collector and have many 128MB boxes for various reasons. One of the 128MB box was running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit (definitely not the only one running that version) and I was getting slow/laggy CPU. Created a ticket and I got a reply from the host saying

"You have installed Ubuntu 12 which uses a 3.x kernel with only 128mb Ram", furthermore I was asked to take the VPS down because I may start effecting the node for everyone else.

This is strange and I never experienced that with any other host for the OS in question. Virtualization was XEN-PV

Can anyone confirm if it is indeed the OS thats at fault?

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

I've been using ubuntu 12.04 with stylexnetworks' xen pv and it was just fine, note the cpu allocation is just 5%. Maybe it's true with 128mb ram as the lowest I've never tried that with < 256mb of ram.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I'm running 12.04 64bit on 256MB Xen/KVM without issues (>12 VMs total)

• necsnecs Member

Are the other VPS's that you run 12.04 also Xen PV?

What is running service wise compared to the others?

128mb is not much to run your own 3.x kernel in + other services to be fair, I imagine you would be ok on OpenVZ but Xen and KVM not so sure as you would probably end up swapping constantly and generating a ton of IO on the disks unless you did a really solid config.

• AsimAsim Member

@fan @gbshouse @necs I have other 128MB in KVM, XEN PV and XEN HVM. Fresh install of 12.04 32bit ... and idling (no softwares installed) except nagios client which is not much to worry about

• necsnecs Member

yep 256 as above would probably be fine, I think 128 is probably just a little bit too low to avoid constant swapping, but then again as I said it really depends how expertly configured the VPS is, expecting vanilla images to just work with a tiny amount of ram usually causes trouble for hosts and customers.

• necsnecs Member

Well did you have a look to see what process was causing the high ram use?

• AsimAsim Member

For me, it was fine with just a little laggy CPU but the host said the container will have issues because of my VPS.

• I doubt it. I have used it with Torqhost Xen PV
    Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 2.6.32-042stab057.1 i686)
    jaakka@lemon:~# uptime
    14:09:48 up 13 days, 14:09, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Are you sure it isnt some other process running wild?

• necsnecs Member

Laggy cpu is a bit none specific, if your vps was out of ram then I imagine that it would give you the impression it was 'laggy'

• AsimAsim Member

@necs to be specific it was idling at approx 25MB ram and the rest was available. No Swap usage but when I try to open something or edit a file or try to update container etc, I was experiencing a slowness in response

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Asim is this the VPS you had with Inception, that reads almost identical to one you opened a little while ago?

A number of people are running 12.04 32bit on 128mb VPS's while I don't personally recommend it they seem to be managing ok.

For clarity your VPS was causing a problem because your VPS was generating around 1700 I/O R+W (Disk) requests p/second which is a very obvious sign that your swap is trying to do the job of ram which I verified as the cause and told you this in the ticket and as a result your VPS was running at 75 MB/s constantly.

This will affect other users as your VPS was hammering the disks 100% of the time.
    Not sure where the 25MB figure comes from as thats not what I saw, so maybe it was not the VPS with Inception.

• AsimAsim Member

@AnthonySmith I am pretty sure you dont have a 128MB that sells for $90/mo :D

This is a local company in PK which I am testing out for a local community. Thanks for reminding me that I had the same issue with you but the only difference was I was never able to login to SSH and not determine what the issue is and hence it has been offline for like many weeks now. (im lazy at times, I know)

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ah ok, it just seemed so similar :)

Thanked by 2HalfEatenPie Asim
  • its nice when people get along :)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • if you have a service called irqbalance try stopping it