Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DropBox Alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DropBox Alternative

I like DropBox just fine, But I want to find something I can set up myself. Self Hosted where I can have alot more storage. Any recommendations?

Comments

• OwnCloud.

• or Seafile

• Been using ownCloud for a couple of family members and I love it. Super easy to setup.

• Any recommendations on a yearly host?

• RamNode.

• Do you have a link to any specials there?

• There are no specials anymore. Go for the 15$ plan with 80GB HDD.

• Falco33 said: RamNode.

Yep.

Running my ownCloud on one of their "massive storage" 512MB/150gb plans and it's working out well.

• Any Reviews on FlipHost?

• trexos said: There are no specials anymore. Go for the 15$ plan with 80GB HDD.

Believe you'll need at minimum 512MB ram for ownCloud. I've tried running it on both 128MB and 256MB RamNode servers and if you cycle through your folders/view pictures etc too fast, it'll eat up all of your RAM and CPU and crash your server.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

ownCloud does look interesting. You can link in external storage from Google Drive, DropBox, Amazon etc. etc. You can also set it all to encrypted so even if someone were to gain direct access to your Google Drive they could not read your encrypted files.

• I switched from ownCloud 7 to seafile for a few reasons,

• ownCloud's desktop client is terrible, it doesn't support gzip, constantly having trouble syncing some files. And worst of all, when you have thousands of files like I do, it will periodically eat system resources and cause your CPU fan to spin up for seemingly no reason. Trust me it gets annoying.

• I had trouble with ownCloud not syncing some files from day one, it is always throwing some generic error (in the log) and it may or may not affect syncing, you never really know.

• ownCloud is written in PHP, it is not really meant for non-blocking, event driven IO and file management. It is not compiled, and it really shows when you are in a situation where you need asynchronous communication.

Seafile has been wonderful so far, it has non of the problems mentioned above. And it is running very smoothly since the installation.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

@Caveman122
    when I installed Seafile, the only thing I did not like was not being able to store my files as-is. It does change the names and paths to unrecognizable stuff.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hubic has a nice client, it can do dropbox style mirroring and also sequential backups.

If you'd prefer to host your own system, I can provide a mass-storage service for good price, we have the ability to expand the storage to 50TB per single VPS so you'll never have to worry about running out of space and moving providers to meet your needs.

• ivanhivanh Member
    edited February 2015

@LeoK said:
    Any recommendations on a yearly host?

Crissic - OVZ, 512MB RAM/swap, 100GB HDD

https://my.crissic.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=94&billingcycle=annually

Great value i rkn.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

ownCloud on a VM real quick

• Depending on your sharing needs, try Syncthing. You can setup a specific folder to be synced between a certain friend/etc

• ivanh said: Crissic - OVZ, 512MB RAM/swap, 100GB HDD

I have always been a fan of CRISSIC, but they are sold out.

• Caveman122 said: switched from ownCloud 7 to seafile for a few reasons,

ownCloud's desktop client is terrible, it doesn't support gzip, constantly having trouble syncing some files. And worst of all, when you have thousands of files like I do, it will periodically eat system resources and cause your CPU fan to spin up for seemingly no reason. Trust me it gets annoying.

I had trouble with ownCloud not syncing some files from day one, it is always throwing some generic error (in the log) and it may or may not affect syncing, you never really know.

ownCloud is written in PHP, it is not really meant for non-blocking, event driven IO and file management. It is not compiled, and it really shows when you are in a situation where you need asynchronous communication.

Has anyone else ran into these problems?

• @LeoK

My previous workplace we re-sell owncloud with our own brand name.

We do face the issues (or rather our customer faces the issues).

Desktop client is slow. Android client is slow. Not sure which one is the cause, the application or the web server.

(we rebrand the gui of desktop client & android app, put our logo, put our message etc).

We somehow during our testing find some file got corrupted. We believe it was corrupted during the sync. And worst of it, it actually sync back the corrupted file to our pc.

Also if you run on 32bit, there is limit of filesize. We know, but our customer did not know and they go and set the file size limit (in admin) to something bigger than 2gb (if I recall correctly) and it make the whole owncloud not accessible.

Since then we upgrade all to 64bit. And from there few updates later, seem to be stable until I left the company. Though the slow sync issues was not solve yet by then.

I havent try the latest version of owncloud.

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited February 2015

@maelzx said:
    LeoK

Good to hear I am not alone in the corruption issue, I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if it was a fluke, because it did happen once or twice to me too.

• MediaFire

• @sman said:
    ownCloud does look interesting. You can link in external storage from Google Drive, DropBox, Amazon etc. etc. You can also set it all to encrypted so even if someone were to gain direct access to your Google Drive they could not read your encrypted files.

AFAIK owncloud encryption doesn't encrypt file names which will remain unchangend

@Nomad said:
    Caveman122
    when I installed Seafile, the only thing I did not like was not being able to store my files as-is. It does change the names and paths to unrecognizable stuff.

Files are stored in a "repository" style. Also seafile encryption looks way better since it's client side rather than server side like owncloud

• copy.com seems to be good to me.

• Pydio

• radryradry Member
    edited February 2015

VPS with Seafile since it supports client side encryption. Owncloud only offers serversided (and doesn't even encrypt gallery thumbnails). If you don't want to host a cloud yourself check out jottacloud. It's hosted in norway and has server side encryption. THey offer unlimited storage for 7,5€/month.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

much better box.net services or onedrive, the one drive is cheapest one:
    200 GB - £3.99
    or for microsoft office 365 subscription you will get 1TB space for free.

• i got the box.net 50gb promo so i use it if the admins allow fuse module. otherwise i use dropbox and a dropbox script.

• I have the need to have my own box anyways. So I might as well host it myself. SeaFile seems to be the way to go. I still need a box. I would like something with at least 512mb and enough storage to support my whole family, like 120gb or more. Yearly

• @LeoK said:

Go with ramnode, the importance of reliability and performance can't be overstated when you are actually using your VPS for a service people rely on.

This discussion has been closed.