Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpanel license for dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpanel license for dedicated

Hello
I intend to get a dedicated and install a control panel.
As for Cpanel which is the license I would require to accommodate around 160 accounts ?

Which would be cheaper? CPanel or Intervox?
It would be nice a free version as well but an automatic Cpanel to this host transfer would be better.
Thank you.

Comments

• cPanel isn't licensed on accounts but on the type of server you use, if your server is a VPS go for the VPS license, if your server is a Dedicated Server then that is the license you need, the VPS license won't work on a Dedicated Server.

I believe Interworx is cheaper for Dedicated Servers, but a lot of people have more experience with cPanel. You need to choose the control panel based on your experiences, play around with the demos and see what you (and your customers) would prefer to use.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Interworx - cheaper, but believe me, you don't want to have it on web hosting production environment. It has no basic features such as mail rate limit per user / domain / mailbox. Development is very slow.

Go for cPanel, you won't regret.

• But if in my dedicated I create a VPS node with high specs and install a cpanel VPS edition and import 100 account it would work , isn't it ?

Thank you.

• LeeLee Veteran

@HWAYS said:
    But if in my dedicated I create a VPS node with high specs and install a cpanel VPS edition and import 100 account it would work , isn't it ?

Thank you.

Pretty much, it's how I have a couple of cPanel servers setup, OVZ with a single large VPS.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @HWAYS said:
    But if in my dedicated I create a VPS node with high specs and install a cpanel VPS edition and import 100 account it would work , isn't it ?

Thank you.

I believe this would be a breach of cPanels Terms.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • @WSCallum said:

And whys that? It is still running in a VM.

Thanked by 2HWAYS Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2015

@wych said:

This. I have yet to see any real info from cPanel which determines what a VM is in relation to their licensing. And I have also yet to see any pushback from them from them towards people doing it.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited February 2015

@time4vps said:
    Interworx - cheaper, but believe me, you don't want to have it on web hosting production environment. It has no basic features such as mail rate limit per user / domain / mailbox. Development is very slow.

Development is fine thanks, cPanel isn't security first, and people are leaving their hell hole lately to InterWorx and DirectAdmin, cPanel used to be the big boy but others with brains don't just go with the market leader.

Same with WHMCS, people are moving every day to Blesta and DirectAdmin, WHMCS used to be the market leader but people put security first.

http://files.rack911labs.com/whitepapers/RACK911_Labs_-_Year_In_Review-2013.pdf
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8704578&postcount=4

Thanked by 1ZweiTiger
  • LeeLee Veteran

Licensecart said: but others with brains don't just go with the market leader.

Oh really.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Oh really.

Yes really, do you buy Dell computers? Windows OS? They are market leaders... Everyone used to buy Dell Dedicated servers, Windows OS on your PC, Linux and Mac have taken over.

Today Caburys has been banned from USA, people are attacking the company behind it, who did it to be the market leader, people have gone to Amazon to import it themselves:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31120183

Same in business people with brains don't just go.. Oh cPanel everyone loves that, let's buy that.

• @wych said:

I've never seen such term enforced, but if it's in their terms (I don't have time to dig through them for it right now), then they can quite easily start to enforce it.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2015

Licensecart said: Same in business people with brains don't just go.. Oh cPanel everyone loves that, let's buy that.

People with brains as you insultingly put it perhaps understand the issues with security, but also understand the client need and preference. It's not always as simple as you seem to make it out to be.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    This. I have yet to see any real info from cPanel which determines what a VM is in relation to their licensing.

Never see a hard rule for it but I was under the belief they went off the kernel version etc. to determine it?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2015

Licensecart said: Same with WHMCS, people are moving every day to Blesta and DirectAdmin, WHMCS used to be the market leader but people put security first.

Really? I don't see a lot of people MOVING to Blesta from WHMCS. But of course as you seem to kiss there ass you would say that. cPanel is still widely used, in the recent months have received large updates with decent changes including security updates.

Just look at how pathetic the blesta guys are with this: http://www.billingbrawl.com. It doesn't make me choose Blesta over WHMCS.

I guess you will just accuse people of being stupid if they choose cPanel or WHMCS because you can't resell those on your site.

Edit: http://whmcs.rip ...lol

HWAYS said: But if in my dedicated I create a VPS node with high specs and install a cpanel VPS edition and import 100 account it would work , isn't it ?

Yes you can do this, companies like HostGator are selling dedicated servers which are virtualised with OpenVZ so they are saving license costs (was a thread on WHT). There was a link to terms about how much CPU/RAM etc dictates a dedicated server but haven't seen a case where cPanel has terminated their license.

Thanked by 2HWAYS Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@wych said:
    Never see a hard rule for it but I was under the belief they went off the kernel version etc. to determine it?

Probably, I checked again and see nothing material such as "A VPS licence must only be used on x or y". I have seen others make claims about what the rules are but never backed up by anything from cPanel.

My take on it is that nothing in the licensing prevents you from creating a single VM out a dedicated server and using a VPS licence.

• W1V_Lee said: My take on it is that nothing in the licensing prevents you from creating a single VM out a dedicated server and using a VPS licence.

And even if it does, you can always create a second VM.

Thanked by 2Lee wych
  • @Patrick said @W1V_Lee

Both of you mentioned OpenVZ...I have a few servers setup this way for testing (last few shared servers) but with Xen instead. Any reason OpenVZ would be better for this type of thing?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2015

@OnraHost said:
    Patrick said W1V_Lee

Both of you mentioned OpenVZ...I have a few servers setup this way for testing (last few shared servers) but with Xen instead. Any reason OpenVZ would be better for this type of thing?

None here just first thing came to mind, iniz shared server was setup on KVM as we use it with CloudLinux.

• LeeLee Veteran

@OnraHost, not really, in my case it's just a couple of small dedicated from Kimsufi with little memory, so the overhead saving helps a little.

Aside from that my needs are such that OVZ does the job perfectly well but there is no reason not to consider Xen.

• @OnraHost said:
    Patrick said W1V_Lee

I know cpanel based in OVZ has a few issues such as IPV6 and a few other niggles. It can be made to work but isn't ready out the box.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

wych said: Never see a hard rule for it but I was under the belief they went off the kernel version etc. to determine it?

They don't.

WSCallum said: I believe this would be a breach of cPanels Terms.

No it wouldn't be.

If you believe otherwise, show us the license terms that sate this.

W1V_Lee said: This. I have yet to see any real info from cPanel which determines what a VM is in relation to their licensing. And I have also yet to see any pushback from them from them towards people doing it.

Exactly. I think it's one of those situations where it's impossible for them to enforce it technically, so they choose to be obscure.

I asked cPanel's legal department and they never answered. In fact, over a year later I still was pinging them before I finally closed the ticket.

https://raindog308.com/dear-cpanel-please-clarify-your-license

Thanked by 2MikeIn Lee
  • raindog308 said: Exactly. I think it's one of those situations where it's impossible for them to enforce it technically, so they choose to be obscure.

>

I asked cPanel's legal department and they never answered. In fact, over a year later I still was pinging them before I finally closed the ticket.

>

Nice one @raindog308 :)

• @Patrick said:
    Really? I don't see a lot of people MOVING to Blesta from WHMCS. But of course as you seem to kiss there ass you would say that. cPanel is still widely used, in the recent months have received large updates with decent changes including security updates.

Just check the pre-sales, do you see any importer for WHMCS from Blesta?
    Oh yeah I kiss their ass like you are kissing WHMCS ass for sticking up for them...

And they have a monthly update system and updated 8 times in 2014 alone. 12 in 2013 (One every month): http://cpanel.net/tsr-2013-0012-announcement/

WHMCS Bugcrowd has found 50 bugs, and cPanel's one is hidden.

@Patrick said:
    Just look at how pathetic the blesta guys are with this: http://www.billingbrawl.com. It doesn't make me choose Blesta over WHMCS.

Pathetic? Because they are showing you where WHMCS is wrong and having a laugh? Personally that's your choice someone tweeted and then someone thinks it's great and they should compare more like ClientExec... https://twitter.com/billingbrawl

@Patrick said:
    I guess you will just accuse people of being stupid if they choose cPanel or WHMCS because you can't resell those on your site.

I wouldn't sell them if they was $1, I sell "High Quality" not a pile of security heavens.

@Patrick said:
    Edit: http://whmcs.rip ...lol

Glad you lol'd at it, it saves googling, and since WHMCS own .fail and .wtf, but hey maybe they are pathetic buying them domains...

Anyway have fund Patrick :).

• @time4vps said:

@Licensecart said:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8704578&postcount=4

@Patrick said:
    Yes you can do this, companies like HostGator are selling dedicated servers which are virtualised with OpenVZ so they are saving license costs (was a thread on WHT). There was a link to terms about how much CPU/RAM etc dictates a dedicated server but haven't seen a case where cPanel has terminated their license.

Well... i am the only provider who use blesta + interworx combo. As i see on the market at this forum : P. Not got critical problem with interworx. So its okay for me!

Also Blesta better for me , but i used whmcs for half year. Well after blesta not need anymore whmcs.

Think different not like sheeps : P

Thanked by 2ItsChrisG HWAYS
  • @ZweiTiger said:

I use Blesta , Interworx and Cpanel. Allows our customers some choices. Interworx is a complete solution. What actually aggravates me are some of the features lacking in one and the other having. For an example Interworx handles SSL SNI and IPS much better then Cpanel. Cpanel on the other hand has for more options for email.