Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody successfully running web hosting business from LEB please share how many site you host where
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody successfully running web hosting business from LEB please share how many site you host where

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Anybody here successfully running web hosting business from any types of low end box?
please share how many site you host where?
whats the configuration of your vps now?

Do you have suggestion to choose reliable vps provider?

Expect some fruitful discuss from this topic.Hope you all discuss about that.

Comments

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited October 2011

Most of this information is private. If I were a provider I would not publish this kind of information.

If you wish to know which hosts are good then check the main site. If you want to start a business then you need to learn the answers to these questions by studying online.

raihan0888 said: Expect some fruitful discuss from this topic.Hope you all discuss about that.

That is a very self-centered expectation. This question kind of request asks for someone to just open his heart up and talk about every he knows in the hope that something he says is useful to you. If you have a specific question please ask it instead.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2011

You mean cPanel or DA on a 256MB RAM VPS? :S

• Xeoncross said: Most of this information is private. If I were a provider I would not publish this kind of information.

If you wish to know which hosts are good then check the main site. If you want to start a business then you need to learn the answers to these questions by studying online.

raihan0888 said: Expect some fruitful discuss from this topic.Hope you all discuss about that.

That is a very self-centered expectation. This question kind of request asks for someone to just open his heart up and talk about every he knows in the hope that something he says is useful to you. If you have a specific question please ask it instead.

I was going to say something like this, but gave up. But it's more or less what I wanted to say.

I try to stay away from providers that are younger than 12 months and have a substantial amount of complaints in their offers/WHT. As for the specs/numbers I'd rather not share those.

• Xeoncross said: Most of this information is private. If I were a provider I would not publish this kind of information.

thanks for your straight answer.i know no one interested to share his info.if any one well hearted or helpful hand in LET,he/she must share his experience.

• alex said: I was going to say something like this, but gave up. But it's more or less what I wanted to say.

I try to stay away from providers that are younger than 12 months and have a substantial amount of complaints in their offers/WHT. As for the specs/numbers I'd rather not share those.

most of the time i check reputation in WHT,and see how they are in Business.

• Infinity said: You mean cPanel or DA on a 256MB RAM VPS? :S

why laughing? if its 1gb ram its not matter to host 30-40 simple static site in cpanel or DA. huh

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

raihan0888 said: why laughing? if its 1gb ram its not matter to host 30-40 simple static site in cpanel or DA. huh

What made you think I'm laughing. I really don't get what you are saying. This time I really did forget to laugh.

• Anybody here successfully running web hosting business from any types of low end box?

I have clients who run social networking sites and other types of hosting from their shared hosting accounts on my hosting company's servers.

Why I would do that myself, I wouldn't run a webhosting firm from any sort of vps. Not being in control of the hardware would be a concern for me and relying on a third party to ensure that the hardware worked and the sites remained up wouldn't be something I would feel comfortable with.

Doesn't stop other folks from doing so.

Thanked by 2Infinity AuroraZ
  • drmike said: I have clients who run social networking sites and other types of hosting from their shared hosting accounts on my hosting company's servers.

Why I would do that myself, I wouldn't run a webhosting firm from any sort of vps. Not being in control of the hardware would be a concern for me and relying on a third party to ensure that the hardware worked and the sites remained up wouldn't be something I would feel comfortable with.

Doesn't stop other folks from doing so.

No it does not stop them but what they fail to realize is that if others are running the hardware and it breaks down, etc..... Then your business is going to suffer or be ruined because of what some other jackhole can not fix in a timely matter.

I won't mention any names but I know one provider for sure that screwed someone so bad they put him out of business. They could get to the box but none of the clients could nor could the business owner.

I realize not everyone has the money to start a hostng business with their own hardware but maybe that is a good thing considering the risks involved to both owner and clients.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited October 2011

@raihan0888 you may want to actually read the responses here in the thread instead of pm'ing us asking for help.

My consulting fees start at $85 an hour. If you don't want to pay that rate, either continue the discussion here or search google.

edit: Let's keep the discussion here in the forums, shall we?

• jhjh Member

Don't even think about trying to start a business on <$7/month's worth of infrastructure.

• Dont do it, i would rather rent a lowend dedi. If your going to offer hosting services you need full access to all the bells and whistles, relying on third partys that are probably in turn relying on another party (Datacenter) could kill your business. When something goes wrong you need to be able to deal with it and deal with it promptly.

Just my advise

Ash

Thanked by 1raihan0888
  • kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

raihan0888 said: Anybody here successfully running web hosting business from any types of low end box? please share how many site you host where? whats the configuration of your vps now?

I am transitioning from dedicated servers to LEB for our webhosting business. I have approximately 30 Dedicated servers at various providers right now.

I've become addicted to LEB's and own probably 15-20 now. I am hoping to get to 50 by the end of the year that will replace most of my Dedi's.

Why pay $60-$100 for a low end dedicated to run nameservers, monitoring, mail services, backups?

Just some tips:

1) Pick and choose and find reputable providers.  Worst thing I've come across is a LEB provider disappearing with my data.

2) Test out a new VPS you just got for at least a month before moving it into production.  You'll be able to get a feel for the reliability and speed.

3) As a webhost, the most vital component is the webserver itself, get a good quality box for that.  The support services are fine for most LEB's.

4) Back up your data across multiple servers just in case a LEB provider joins the deadpool.

5) Pick and choose what services you put on what VPS.  You'll find some VPS are slower but more reliable.  Or you might find a server is very fast but not as reliable.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 raihan0888
  • Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

I've seen discussions on this before, one good advice was to start with at least 1 GB of RAM. And I know where it comes from, since 512 mb is usually the lowest recommendation to run cPanel or DA, so if basic services and the control panel itself will take around 300 mb of RAM (if not more), then with the minimum recommendation (ie 512mb ram) you have around 200 mb of room for serving websites (static and dynamic content) , and serving databases (mainstream users mostly use Mysql where you will have to run Mysql server anyway). So, that is not too much of free space considering MORE then one user will use for hosting his stuff, eg if a user is having moderate downloads and you are using Apache web server, in a basic setup he can easily eat the supposed 200mb you are having.

So that's the reason it's recommended to start with at least 1 GB of RAM so that in addition to the minimum RAM for running control panel and personal website, you have an additional room of 512mb.

If you got a little more than 1 GB LEB, I'd say that's better. But I don't recommend going to the last bit of RAM/resource a provider offers (or claims to offer) with LEB, for you to stay in the safe side.

Just to note, that usually users will not demand a lot of resources like in my earlier example, actually shared hosting seekers in the most part knows that they don't need a lot of resources. So even 512mb can work actually. But in all cases, you will have to monitor resource usage and if a single user is taking everything slow/down, you will probably have to temporairly suspend his account and open a ticket about it, and maybe you will have to eventually permanently close that account (after allowing data retrieval) to keep things running fine for all users.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 raihan0888
  • I suppose it's possible to run a web hosting business on LEB, especially with the latest 1 and 2GB offers.

But as you surely know, LEBs are not very reliable, you get what you paid for. You'll end up having backups of your backups of your backups to make sure everything won't go down completely at some point.

Even that way, you can save a few bucks, but you'll spend much more time maintaining all that, and I'm not really sure if it's worth it.

• @vedran

I don't agree with your statement that leb's are inherently unreliable.
    I do custom setups where you can get your own lun that could be snapshotted on a 5 minute base.

• @JustinBoshoff And what happens when your provider takes a runner?

• If you don't look out for yourself you can't expect anybody else to do so.

• JustinBoshoff said: I don't agree with your statement that leb's are inherently unreliable.

Neither do I.

I also don't agree with the too-often-used phrase, "You get what you pay for". Generally it make no sense in this industry.

Cheap services are often unreliable. But a 128MB VPS for $5/month isn't cheap and might be damn reliable. And it's a LEB.

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it: "cheap" and "lowend" are different concepts. A 1GB VPS for $5/month is cheap but not lowend. A 128MB VPS for for $5/month is lowend but not cheap.

In either case I paid $5. One (the 128MB) might be excellent because it's sold by a company with a realistic business model. The other is oversold to hell.

So in which case is it true that I "get what I paid for"?

• Thanks every one who giving me support and inspired me by writing they are valuable comment.long time i am not login in this forum. surprised to see your large comment and advice... love you guys and love you Low end talk :)

By reading other members so many inspirational comment i am now owner of 192mb vps :) from LEB offer. Hope enrich my knowledge in vps.

• I hope you're not going to run a webhosting business from that VPS :P

• offcourse not... :) but planning to provide free host for testing :P

• one of my frnd i know who serve 75 client from 1.5gb ram,equal sahre cpu,vps with cpanel. ;)

• @raihan0888 good luck buddy.

• @cripperz hope for the best :)

• one of my frnd i know who serve 75 client from 1.5gb ram,equal sahre cpu,vps with cpanel.

The question remains though is that a decent host? I have clients who come from such hosts and all I hear are horror stories. I bought out (Well took over) a shared host who had 1300 clients on a single server. I never heard a single positive comment from any of those clients outside of singing praise about the price. Those clients assumed that that the poor service that they had received was typical for the webhosting industry at that price level.

Thanked by 1raihan0888
  • @raihan0888 said: one of my frnd i know who serve 75 client from 1.5gb ram,equal sahre cpu,vps with cpanel. ;)

>

It's really not a big deal you can run a few hundreds of clients on such a box. But don't expect to have delighted customers :)