Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 5.7 useful tools
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 5.7 useful tools

Hey guys,

I installed vnc on my centos5.7 32bit box, everything is working smooth. But I want to install apps like winrar (unzip), jdownloader .. when I download it over the browser I am not able to install the file, because the app manager is missing.

I am a linux/vps noob so please be kind to me :D

thank you guys in advance.

regards

Comments

• sudo

rm -r /

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @lars said:
    sudo

rm -r /

if you don't want to help, then please don't spam my topic. thank you

• @emre22 said:

halt

is a fascinating tool?

• @emre22 said:

Just install the OS with a package manager?

• halt

is a fascinating tool?

@lars said:
    Just install the OS with a package manager?

It's not offered in my panel. So I will check this and install it manually over putty. Thank you!

• @emre22

VNC? You run a GUI on your VPS? Usually VNC is used to work with the VPS for installing, checking boot process, etc.

What you use to work with your VPS is SSH which gives you a shell as if you had your keyboard/monitor connected to your VPS.

Panel? Just don't care. CentOs has a convenient package manager. Just google for "yum package management". Using that you should be able to install pretty everything you might want and use. It also has a search function that allows you to search the packages database to find stuff, for instance packages that mention "rar".

And there's a myriad of articles, how-tos and whatnot about it on the internet.

Thanked by 1emre22
  • I think your looking for yum

Thanked by 1emre22
  • @bsdguy said:
    emre22

VNC? You run a GUI on your VPS? Usually VNC is used to work with the VPS for installing, checking boot process, etc.

What you use to work with your VPS is SSH which gives you a shell as if you had your keyboard/monitor connected to your VPS.

Panel? Just don't care. CentOs has a convenient package manager. Just google for "yum package management". Using that you should be able to install pretty everything you might want and use. It also has a search function that allows you to search the packages database to find stuff, for instance packages that mention "rar".

And there's a myriad of articles, how-tos and whatnot about it on the internet.

Hey thank you so much :)

I am using it as a rdp, I am downloading,un/ ziping files and upload them again. For this use is vnc great, it's like windows ^^

But I need something like winrar to extract the .rar's...

I will check yum package management and report you if it works

thanks.

• @wych said:
    I think your looking for yum

Yes but I need the complete comand :D a comand which install an application like winrar

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@emre22 said:
    Yes but I need the complete comand :D a comand which install an application like winrar

Gunzip?

https://access.redhat.com/articles/yum-cheat-sheet

Thanked by 1emre22
  • Coming from a Windows background (I guess) you might like "peazip" (it has a GUI). Usually (on a console) "p7zip" (quite versatile "many-in-one") or a plethora of small programs (bzip2, zip/unzip, rar/unrar, gzip, etc.) are used by admins.

Installing any should be as simple as "yum install program". Maybe CentOs even has a GUI package manager like debians synaptic; sorry, I don't know that because I don't use that kind of stuff but it might be worth a look.

• Google.