Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Classic VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Classic VPS

Hello,

Anyone have an idea if OVH allow VPN on their Classic VPS ?

Comments

• yes. thats basically what the cheapest one is for

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Are you looking for consulting services i.e. for someone to read OVH ToS for you?

• @rm_ said:
    Are you looking for consulting services i.e. for someone to read OVH ToS for you?

I don't see anything about VPN uses in OVH TOS.. thats why i'm asking!

• Canada location? Only need it for VPN? Might as well get a NAT VPS, which is much cheaper:
    https://deepnetsolutions.com/nat-vps.html

• adfynadfyn Member
    edited February 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    yes. thats basically what the cheapest one is for

Have you tried it ? I just saw a thread in WHT saying that OVH allow VPN only in Cloud plan

• adfyn said: Have you tried it ? I just saw a thread in WHT saying that OVH allow VPN only for Cloud plan

i use it for vpn :)

Thanked by 1adfyn
  • adfyn said: Have you tried it ? I just saw

I tried both, deepnetsolutions NAT VPS and OVH Classic VPS.

Deepnetsolutions uses OVH servers in BHS.
    OVH did not manage to get the rDNS of my VPS working for a mont(!), so I left.

• Private or public? Pretty much everyone allows you to setup a private vpn, but public is typically banned.. although OVH probably doesn't give a crap. I'd say you're fine.

I haven't heard anything that great about OVH's Classic VPS line though, have only seen complaints. I'd look at other providers who host at OVH instead of going directly with them, NanoVZ (France) MyCustomHosting (Canada) - and there are others. Will get the same network but a better managed service + support.

• mikeyur said: I haven't heard anything that great about OVH's Classic VPS line though, have only seen complaints.

It actually works quite well for me. I've moved my personal website there after some people started attacking it. It handled everything pretty well (except for Apache and that Layer 7 attack, but I switched to NGINX now). It's been up all the time and today was the first time Icinga reported some flapping on IPv4 ping.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I have a very similar experience to @mpkossen. 99.5 %+ uptime and very nice for the very low price.

People used to criticize them for the I/O limits and slabbing which I don't think is fair.

• Hello,

If you want a VPN in OVH RBX you can select the http://nanovz.com roubaix package or use Davids BHS location https://deepnetsolutions.com/nat-vps.html

Both are NAT IPv4 and work well with Nyrs OpenVPN installer tool(https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install) or you can install OpenVPN-AS using my tutorial (http://www.thomasglassuk.com/index.php/posts/nat-and-openvpn-as) both NanoVZ and Deepnet solutions allow VPNs

• @mpkossen Will have to update that from 'only seen complaints' to 'only seen 1 positive review' :P Glad it's working out for you.

OVH Network + DDoS protection are great. Recently my coworker was bitching about how they horribly manage nodes though - seem to let abuse run rampant, which didn't really shock me considering what they allow on their dedis.

• @mikeyur said:
    mpkossen Will have to update that from 'only seen complaints' to 'only seen 1 positive review' :P Glad it's working out for you.

OVH Network + DDoS protection are great. Recently my coworker was bitching about how they horribly manage nodes though - seem to let abuse run rampant, which didn't really shock me considering what they allow on their dedis.

Their DDoS protection is really good I admit. I posted my NAT OpenVPN AS tutorial link and that got ddossed in 5minutes. Thankfully it was only load balancer so whole backend was online just got a VPS in BHS and everything was fine

• @mikeyur said:
    mpkossen Will have to update that from 'only seen complaints' to 'only seen 1 positive review' :P Glad it's working out for you.

I have to admit I don't have any experience with their customer service and I don't do anything illegal on that VPS. I'm sure thing are not that pretty when you're doing "bad" things.

• @mpkossen He has (/had) the biggest Classic VPS plan at BHS, hosting a bunch of personal + client WordPress sites.

Nothing illegal, just major slowdowns - poor disk I/O and network seems to be getting hammered at times, most likely due to the 'unmetered'-ness of it. Just depends on who your neighbours are I guess.

• @mpkossen said:
    It actually works quite well for me. I've moved my personal website there after some people started attacking it. It handled everything pretty well (except for Apache and that Layer 7 attack, but I switched to NGINX now). It's been up all the time and today was the first time Icinga reported some flapping on IPv4 ping.

I had the exact opposite experience :(. I tried out their $2.99 Classic VPS and it was literally the worst VPS plan I have ever tried. It was constantly going down, it was VERY oversold with high loads, ssh was slow and sluggish, disk speed was a terrible 10.2mb/sec. Needless to say that I did not renew the plan...ended up switching that to a 1gb 1cpu plan at Leaseweb for $3.50/month and it's night and day difference.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

nleibert said: disk speed was a terrible 10.2mb/sec.

Currently I am seeing a disk I/O limit of ~30.9 MB/sec on VPS Classic SBG. Also it's pretty reliable (no downtimes) and the network is solid (unlike in BHS where it was crap).