Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong VPS. What could be the issue?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wrong VPS. What could be the issue?

elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
edited February 2015 in General

I've a VPS hosted with weloveservers that was recently migrated from one node to another (successfully).

However on occasion and seemly at random, my VPS 'disappears'!

When I attempt to log in via SSH I'm greeted with a different host key thumbprint and cannot loging via my root password (obviously). The VPS is also accessible via port 80 (i.e. running apache).

This state will remain for about 10 mins. And then it will revert back to my actual VPS, at which point I can login again via SSH without issue and my host key is confirmed as the correct one.

It's almost as if I'm randomly being routed to a fresh install.

Anyone know what on earth could cause this behaviour?

I think weloveservers uses SolusVM. I've opened a ticket with them, but so far they've said they can't see anything wrong.

Comments

• Please open a ticket with your provider.

• @0xdragon said:
    Please open a ticket with your provider.

Have done this. Was just wondering if anyone here has experienced or might know what could cause this?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

elijahpaul said: what could cause this?

Your host being way too premium and overly competent in managing their gear.

• @elijahpaul said:
    Have done this. Was just wondering if anyone here has experienced or might know what could cause this?

Not quite like thatMyI have a free FortaTrust VM and was down so naturally I opened a ticket, they explained in poor English that the IP was highjacked by another VM on their infrastructure.

They ended up giving me another VM + IP that they somehow originally thought was mine. It ended up being someone else's with cPanel and other files, me being the nice guy replied to the existing ticket and never got a response back event till this day, a year later....

In the end I saw no other option but removing the files from the VM..

Not really on the same lines as your issue, but still interesting that it happen at all...

Thanked by 1elijahpaul
  • elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited February 2015

@ATHK said:

You know what.. I think this maybe what's going on. Some sort of IP conflict.

I'm not even sure the support guy I'm speaking to at the moment even reads my replies. Keeps telling me to secure my VM with a strong password to prevent someone else using it, despite me telling him twice that SSH is on a high port, accessible only via my IP (iptables), and I'm using pubic key auth.!

Sigh, you get what you pay for...!

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • elijahpaul said: I'm not even sure the support guy I'm speaking to at the moment even reads my replies. Keeps telling me to secure my VM with a strong password to prevent someone else using it, despite me telling him twice that SSH is on a high port, accessible only via my IP (iptables), and I'm using pubic key auth.!

I had the same bad experience with WLS. Just cancel with them and move on to a new provider.

Thanked by 1elijahpaul
  • Kindly asked that they check that there's not maybe a routing/networking/config issue causing the intermittent behaviour. Get this response literally 30secs later & ticket closed...

"I confirm thatthere is nothing issue with routing/network in the server"

Again, I know you get what you pay for, but nonetheless this is still frustrating.

Might just ask they allocate a different IP.

• IP Conflict at a guess, ask for a new fresh IP to be assigned.

• @wych said:
    IP Conflict at a guess, ask for a new fresh IP to be assigned.

Yep. Just got allocated a new IP, all seems fine so far. Plus the old IP routes to the same webpage it was randomly going to when I had it.

Guess they allocated me someone else's IP somehow.