Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit of a headache
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A bit of a headache

BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
edited August 2012 in Help

So I've got a cPanel server with @Kenshin to host some services such as DNS. Among this, I also provide a bit of hosting to a few friends. The problem comes in when I get informed there was a DDoS on the VPS - it's hard to tell where it's coming from, and I highly doubt (D)Dos Deflate will help much. Hoping someone would be able to help out and give suggestions since it's a port 80 attack.

Thanks.

Comments

• If the attack is over 100mbit or whatever your bw is then you are SOL unless you get the IP and ask the DC to BGP block them.

• @Jack: It's with @Kenshin at OneAsiaHost...

• may I recommend Cloudflare?

• @Jack said: It would save him $ on the VM too I guess...

how's that? Cloudflare would just stop the attacker from being able to find his site's IP, assuming he doesn't leave any records with it exposed.

• flyfly Member

well apparently the attacker already has the IP in question?

• yeah Cloudflare seems like the answer here

make sure to apply the mods/patches to whatever webserver you're running so you get the real visitor's IP & not cloudflare's

• @Jack said: Isn't he on about a DNS only CPanel Setup???

Huh? I'm not experienced with cPanel but are you saying he only uses cPanel to manage his DNS?

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@Jack said: I was assuming it was a DNS Only server so If he used Cloudflare he wouldn't need the VM in question.

Oh, I got the impression he was also hosting the websites on the VM.

EDIT:

if he is doing DNS-only hosting on that VM then you're right, he wouldn't even need the VM then

• Nope, its a full install of cPanel since I needed services as well.

• I'd recommend using Cloudflare as DNS then