Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuintenQuinten Member
edited January 2015 in General

Hello all,

There have been some threads in the past about this topic but I wanted to create a new one since the other was 3 years old and technology has changed.

I have a bunch of servers that I use for the following stuff;
Hosting websites, running TS server, running a CSGO Minigames server, VPN's, File Storage.

Comments

• What I do with my VPS.

I don't use VPS so i'm gonna tell ya what I do with mah dedi.

Run a tekkit classic server.
    Host a website.
    Host 3 MySQL databases.
    Use it as an excuse to scream horribly at my computer screen when debian doesn't do what I want it do to.
    Attempt to run a mail server -.-

• QuintenQuinten Member
    edited January 2015

@ECNetworks said:
    What I do with my VPS.

I don't use VPS so i'm gonna tell ya what I do with mah dedi.

Run a tekkit classic server.
    Host a website.
    Host 3 MySQL databases.
    Use it as an excuse to scream horribly at my computer screen when debian doesn't do what I want it do to.
    Attempt to run a mail server -.-

VPS/Dedicated, the idea of the thread is the same :)
    Sounds to me you don't even need a dedicated server with the following stuff you do at it, might save you money there.

• Ehhhh I prefer to have root control. From what I have heard hosts don't even optimize there distros. Eugh. I always optimize.

Nah I don't need a dedi, Although for the kind of things I do having a dedicated machine is actually cheaper then purchasing from a shared host as i'd need to get alot of things from the shared host, but instead I can get myself a nice big fat dedicated server ;) That still lags even with an I7-4790k and 32GB of ram. Don't ask how.

• QuintenQuinten Member
    edited January 2015

ECNetworks said: I always optimize.

>

ECNetworks said: That still lags even with an I7-4790k and 32GB of ram. Don't ask how.

?

ECNetworks said: Ehhhh I prefer to have root control.

You have root to your VPS.

ECNetworks said: Although for the kind of things I do having a dedicated machine is actually cheaper then purchasing from a shared host as i'd need to get alot of things from the shared host, but instead I can get myself a nice big fat dedicated server ;)

Based upon the stuff you said earlier you don't really need alot to run that stuff, check your current usage, it will save you alot of money.

• I know you have root access to a VPS. But I prefer solid hardware as I stated before.

My current usage? The gameservers FLATTEN even this dedicated machine!

• run folding@home

Thanked by 2Quinten Chuck
  • Ryan22 said: run folding@home

Interesting, I'm going to look into this.

• PHP/MySQL development, SMTP, VPN

• @bertan I suck at SMTP.
    Don't you need multiple IPs for a VPN?
    Herp.

• I currently have 4 clients connected to the single IP VPN using the same keys.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Develop stuff half way and then get bored.

• What i'd do if i had a vps alongside my dedicated server.

Test linux distros on it. Full stop, I hate virtual servers.

• @ECNetworks said:
    What i'd do if i had a vps alongside my dedicated server.

Test linux distros on it. Full stop, I hate virtual servers.

Then please leave a forum that -MOSTLY- talks about virtual servers.

• Lol.

Just scored myself a free dedi :P
    CPU Intel Xeon L5420 (4 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5GHz)
    RAM 8GB DDR2 ECC
    First Drive 500GB SATA HDD
    Second Drive None
    Bandwidth 10TB - 1Gbps Port
    Operating System Ubuntu 14.04 - x86_64
    Control Panel None

Not the best machine in the world. Sucks IMO.

• @ECNetworks said:
    bertan I suck at SMTP.
    Don't you need multiple IPs for a VPN?
    Herp.

It depends what you want to do with it. You can use a single IP if you just want to use it as a simple gateway. Here's my latest project: http://members.shaw.ca/bertan

• @perennate said:
    Develop stuff half way and then get bored.

Haha same here

• emgemg Veteran

As usual, these polls don't match me, my VPSs, or how I use them.

I assume that this poll reflects the OP's interests. I see a lot of discussions on LET about how VPSs are used that are not described in the poll, such as web server, DNS server, mail server, development and test platform, remote desktop, etc. Some people have Windows VPSs, and I don't know what they do with them, but I suspect that they differ from a typical Linux VPS. Did the OP try looking at a few threads on LET before "developing" this poll?

Furthermore, there is nothing that prevents a VPS from offering multiple services at once, such as a combined VPN and secondary DNS server.

• @emg said:
    As usual, these polls don't match me, my VPSs, or how I use them.

I assume that this poll reflects the OP's interests. I see a lot of discussions on LET about how VPSs are used that are not described in the poll, such as web server, DNS server, mail server, development and test platform, remote desktop, etc. Some people have Windows VPSs, and I don't know what they do with them, but I suspect that they differ from a typical Linux VPS. Did the OP try looking at a few threads on LET before "developing" this poll?

Furthermore, there is nothing that prevents a VPS from offering multiple services at once, such as a combined VPN and secondary DNS server.

You misunderstood.

And thats exactly why I made this poll, if you look at the last option, it says comment below. I'm trying to start discussions that are out of the box unlike other threads I've seen. Unfortunately I was not able to make a multiple voting poll.

• Well, the typical stuff. http, mail, dns, ftp, ... Plus development stuff. Had a couple of dedis, too. No gaming or streaming or other exciting stuff. But 10+ years unhacked.

• I host wordpress websites :)

• I host web application(SaaS)

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited January 2015

PHP Websocket Gameserver :)

• A hand full of Websites, 2 wp Blogs, 3 boards, as seedbox, as Mail- and dns Server. For sure I got multiple VPS for that :p

• @bsdguy said:
    Well, the typical stuff. http, mail, dns, ftp, ... Plus development stuff. Had a couple of dedis, too. No gaming or streaming or other exciting stuff. But 10+ years unhacked.

You have couple of idle dedis? How much the monthly bill for each?

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

I HAD a couple of dedis (sequentially, over quite some years). Changed for VPSs because it's all I need and I hated hunting down KVM access with dedis.
    Now I have only 1 single dedi left for company stuff and I chose it after a lengthy and careful search and tests.

• nexusrain said: seedbox

Wow. Which VPS for seedbox? Allowed? Which plan?

• QuintenQuinten Member
    edited January 2015

@Devil said:
    Wow. Which VPS for seedbox? Allowed? Which plan?

Probably OVH box.

• the poll is bad - because "something else" is very high - that don't match

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

vpssamy said: the poll is bad - because "something else" is very high

Because the OP failed to properly format a poll and "Websites" is not a selectable option.

• vpssamy said: the poll is bad - because "something else" is very high - that don't match

Yes, so comment instead of vote.

rm_ said: Because the OP failed to properly format a poll and "Websites" is not a selectable option.

When I posted the thread, I added a poll afterwards, I realise I forgot most important things and wasn't able to edit it anymore. My bad.