Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to decide on a server to use as an openvz node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to decide on a server to use as an openvz node?

Hello,
I am trying to learn stuff. How do we know the number of VPS a server will handle considering its config? Can you give me any rough examples of the server config that are popular for openvz installation please?

Comments

• What kind of server do you have lol, specs.

• You should be able to "learn" on about any server. I set up OpenVZ even on a Kidechire. :) It just does not have a very powerful CPU at all.

• @joodle said:
    What kind of server do you have lol, specs.

I don't as of now. I am trying to figure out a few stuffs before getting one. Let me clarify my question.

Let's say I am buying this https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/hosting/ (Host32) first server. How do I calculate the possible number of VPS I can put on it? I understand we have to account the load that every VPS will generate. Buy considering an ideal environment with no abuse, how do I share the Cores and resources among the VPS?

• You'd need to offer shared CPU Cores and have Terms outlining the usage of those shared cores. Generally you shouldn't sell any more resources than you have available in terms of RAM and Disk Space, and you should sell less RAM than what the server actually has for the likes of the node operating system/tasks, virtualization etc. Personally I'd only have RAID 10 on a VPS Node, OVH Hosting range doesn't offer that.

• @4n0nx said:
    You should be able to "learn" on about any server. I set up OpenVZ even on a Kidechire. :) It just does not have a very powerful CPU at all.

Seriously ?? Those tiny lil things can do virtualization?? Thats Impressive ... :)

• @somerandomguy said:
    Hello,
    I am trying to learn stuff. How do we know the number of VPS a server will handle considering its config? Can you give me any rough examples of the server config that are popular for openvz installation please?

ummm if you are just learning, why does it matter how many vps you can add there???

I don't think anyone can here give you a number. It all depends on how you setup, what plans you add, what kind of cpu / mem limits you do, what kind of disk io you have, and what is your actual resource usage.

• @Umair said:
    I don't think anyone can here give you a number. It all depends on how you setup, what plans you add, what kind of cpu / mem limits you do, what kind of disk io you have, and what is your actual resource usage.

That is a valid question. I just want to get familiarized with the basics of virtualization so I know if my staff is simply wasting time.

Per my question, as there is know way for me to put some sites / scripts on the VPS to make it use all the resources, whats the industry standard server specs is for let's a node that is going to host 8 VPS (2GB RAM on an average per VPS).

I hope I was able to simplify my question.

• Overselling is somewhat commonplace, so I wouldn't worry too much about the specifications. Most servers don't always use everything they're allocated, so you could theoretically over-allocate memory/disk by 30% and be okay.

It depends on how much work you are willing to put in. You could develop some monitoring scripts to make sure abusive containers are dealt with, or you could simply leave the containers to run freely and allow potential abuse.

Ideally there'd be no overselling going on at all, but some find it difficult to resist the extra profit.

• well, worst case scenario would just be node or vm crash, nothing too drastic ;)