Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network speed test - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network speed test

2»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I don't know any in the US. For the EU you could try http://speedtest.tele2.net/
    Also http://proof.ovh.net/ and http://ping.online.net/

• @Umair said:

Clarification accepted. Apologies for my rough reaction.

And I did pay "extra" to get that 1Gbps port compare to their original offer.

That should have been the final warning shot.

If a server (the physical machine) has been built in the last 5 years it would actually be an extra effort to downgrade it to a 100 Mb..
    In a weird way the original (not upgraded) offer was honest in that the 100Mb port clearly indicated what to expect in terms of connectivity.

My advice: Get out of that contract, find some well connected providers with good connectivity and fat pipes and then find an attractively priced machine with one of those. And ask for a test period, even if it's just 3 days.

There are certainly some people here at LET who know the us market well and can advise on a provider with good connectivity (I'm from Europe).

Good luck

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

bsdguy said: (I'm from Europe)

As an European and even more, a Romanian, I came to expect a little too much from the networking in US. The fact that my home connection can do unlimited 500+ mbps at any time locally and 100 mbps externally for some 10 Eur a month as well as high speed network between countries on much of the continent spoiled us. You can have this in US but will cost and arm and a leg, do not expect the same network quality for the same prices there, it does not work that way.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique

Well, you Romanians are in one of the best places of Europe in that regard. Most European countries are in a less glad position, incl, "big mouth" countries like Germany, where 25 Mb is "upper-class" and 100 Mb just a wet dream for most (private households, and rather expensive for most companies).

We do, however, have the largest and most important IXs in Europe.

As for the usa the situation (from my perspective) seems weird and somewhat retarded. They have places where mom and dad have 1 Gb at a price most Europeans might get 25 Mb and they have (many) places where bandwidth is dry and thin. But they also have some of the largest carriers/fiber providers and some colo location with excessively high bandwidth.
    All in all, like everywhere and in Europe, too, it seems to much depend on location.

Well, I don't care anyway. I've a VPS to play and make funny tests in nyc and that's about it. My focus (besides Europe) is clearly Russia and Asia. In other words, the new (and very welcome) center of the world ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique said:
    The fact that my home connection can do unlimited 500+ mbps at any time locally and 100 mbps externally for some 10 Eur a month as well as high speed network between countries on much of the continent spoiled us.

/off-topic

Is romanian telco sector comparatively less regulated? I've read about eastern Europe having some of the best access to high mbps networks for ordinary citizens.

If India could copy 10% of your govt's policies on telco, I wouldn't still be on 1mbps unlimited ($13/m after all taxes)

I believe private ghetto cable operators in our metro cities offer 10-20M packages (with 'fair use' data caps well under 50Gb/m)

vimalware said: Is romanian telco sector comparatively less regulated?

That is hard to say, depends what you mean by regulated.
    What I can clearly say is that heavily regulated and state monopoly in the past created the current jungle where the customer is king. "I reached the top and had to stop and that's what's bothering me".
    I mean, in 1995 when I first used my own internet account, it was like 20 $ for 5 hours of dial-up and the phone charges were separate, meaning another charge of about the same magnitude. Later, the isp costs dropped dramatically, but the phone charge remained high as there was a state monopoly in the area. The phone was so expensive that I had to get a dedicated line for 100 $ from the state and pay internet to another company, it costed 110 $ or so for 4K access (yeah, that is K not mb) in 1998-1999 of which only 10 $ was the actual internet, the rest being the renting of the line. Installation was also separate, but dont remember how much was in today's money, perhaps 300 $ or so. I was sharing it with my neighbours, later got merged into a larger net like this, then 3 more joined at my home where we setup the peering having as much as 400 users of which some were really dedicated "fans" as we called them, setting up "servers" for games and sharing media.
    These small nets grew to full ISPs when the market was freed at EU requirements sometime in 2001-2003 (gradual, so the state monopoly will not "hurt" and "lose jobs" to the foreign "enemy"), some of them have today full datacenters with tens of racks, one being 2 streets away and used to still sell internet to neighbours, largely the free incoming traffic on heavily asynchronous lines over ftp, but i long dumped that connection because cannot really compete with the likes of RDS.
    Of course, the state monopoly was always losing jobs, no matter how much they tried to overcharge, even when they were having the monopoly for all landline communications, people simply switched to mobile phones which were very expensive, hundreds of dollars for one handset in the beginning, but later recovered the costs due to lower monthly fees and the businesses were not really affected by the heavier costs. I remember a last ditch attempt to block this switch by the state monopoly which tried to argue that these mobile phones bought by the company for the empoyees are actually a form of income and should be taxed heavily as wages were, it even made it to law attempt, but was scrapped in the end.
    Monopolies are digging their grave no matter what, the state which does not understand this will lose out in revenue from a big market, here it was even worse, as the local monopoly was even subsidized with public money in order to offer a "basic service" such as a phone line to "the elderly and the pensioners which could not afford a mobile phone" even when the mobile phones were actually cheaper than the ones "given" by the monopoly, so the state even paid for the company to lose out money in a competitive market, in order to "protect" the "vulnerable". This also has the "advantage" of bringing votes from the people which do not know better and bribes from the monopolies. Without heavy regulation and "supervision" there are not many incentives to give bribes.

But the lesson was learned, today everyone can open an ISP, even though snooping laws are looming, even if they keep being rejected by the constitutional court, at the pressure of US, one CC judge has already being charged and they forced him to go in vacation and more will likely follow if the "Big Brother" laws do not get passed, but, so far, it is one of the most liberal markets, can still buy prepaid cards at vendor machines.
    It is inevitable that the battle with surveillance will be lost in the end, as long as the "land of the free" is ruled by religious nutcases and continues the support of terrorist states and gets involved in holy wars and crusades, it will keep pressuring the government until they cave in, but I think romania will be one of the last to fall as well as other eastern EU countries such as poland and the baltic ones which have the current generation in power (at 40-60) still remembering what dictatorship meant.
    Hungary is lost, but they were having a more liberal dictatorship and have a lot of grievances after world war one and revisionism+big debt and economic hardships pushed them to relinquish democracy faster, while Russia was never really free and the people there do not know what real democracy means.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hmm, those tests say MB < the capital B stands for BYTES so thats * 8 for bits so your getting a decent connection....

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2015

Somewhat a sidenote ...

I also see that the problems are to a certain (not at all small) degree self constructed because many people are, uhm, not properly reflecting (is that a nice but clear way to say "stupid"?) and just accepting whatever marketing tells them.

Classical example I saw recently in a computer store. Mom and her boy, maybe 14 years old, shopping for his new PC. Sales guy suggested some nice quad core box but the boy acted as if anything less than the most recent blah-core I7 extreeeme speed with 16GB RAM were completely useless crap.

Or idi^H^H^H, uhm, less reflecting "web designers" creating shit sites that happily throw hundreds of KB, most of it "design" junk, of web pages at their visitors.
    And then, of course, and almost a necessary consequence, users who consider anything less than a 50 Mb line a useless nuisance.

Then large colo and hosting players enter the equation, offering n x 100 Gb capacity and selling 10 Gb connectivity as if that was a reasonable minimum for a couple of nodes and dedis.

If nowadays a hoster enters the game with, say, two 10Gb backend pipes, he - imagine that! - risks to not even be considered by quite some customers to be acceptable because, hey, with a "paltry" 20 Gb he must be a garage backyard player ...

Sorry guys, but I'm afraid we have created a mental asylum based on marketing blah and with insane wasting of resources.

Thanked by 1vimalware

bsdguy said: Sorry guys, but I'm afraid we have created a mental asylum based on marketing blah and with insane wasting of resources.

Tru dat, but also some people here fell in the other extreme, like 32 MB should be enough to run a reasonably visited site. Extremism does not really work, the market will probably choose a middle way, in the end, however, the kids like that one benefits me, because he pays for the research which ultimately brings the price down for reasonable and low powered CPUs and ram too. At 14 he can also be excused for falling for hype, when he will pay own bills, will probably think better and have more experience.

• back to the topic,
    from wat i saw ur $5 VPS is concerning me, :) looks like its a very good server.. n sad to tell ur dedi 1gbps switch port is crap. thank u