Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using LowEndBox as a VPN - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using LowEndBox as a VPN

2»

Comments

• @averell isn't that something you should open a ticket for then?

I did. They "fixed" it. That is why it even got to 5 days. Then it restarted, and I've been waiting for a reply two days now. Anyway, its in romania and they allow torrents etc, so i dont expect much. But the uptime is undeniably shitty.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@joodle said: Thats closer to you :P

Would be also closer to me coz i'm from holland, closer = faster speeds right?

Be my guest, show your speed on prometeus :)
    If you dont know how to make on ssh, i can give you a link :)
    M

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique said: Be my guest, show your speed on prometeus :)

Won't be much difference, only got a 20mbit line here

EDIT: Send me the details and the SSH thing

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique -> Seo Campaign :P

edited August 2012

CEO ! Maounique for CEO !
    Actually, for a long time I wanted to write some tutorials at really low level and this is my best occasion in many years.
    I give back to many ppl, including the community.
    M

Thanked by 1marrco
  • pcanpcan Member

@shroob said: I've never used linux before.

If you select a OpenVZ (OVZ) VPS, you don't need to know Linux because the VPS will be installed by the provider and supplied to you ready for use. The simplest VPN type for web browsing is the ssh tunnel.

1) Order a VPS; a good starting point is the Debian 6 32 bit distribution; you will receive the host IP address via e-mail after the activation.

2) download and install the free Windows Bitvise Tunnelier application;

3) on the main Tunnelier login tab, insert the VPS credentials: host ip address, user name (root) and password;

4) on the Services tab of Tunnelier application, enable the SOCKS/HTTP proxy forwarding, then click the login button;

5) on Internet Explorer, open internet options/connections/lan settings and select "use a proxy server";

6) click on the Advanced button, unselect "use the same proxy server for all protocols" and make sure all the boxes are blank. On the socks box only, write the value 127.0.0.1 with port number 1080. Confirm the choice and enjoy the VPN.

To fully enable the VPS potential you need to learn some Linux basics. OpenVZ is good for learning because is very easy to reinstall the VPS if you make a mistake. If you only want a VPN, @cnzhhi advice is a good idea.

Thanked by 2winston Maounique
  • @joodle Mind posting your server and client config? Also are you using openvpn or openvpn-AS?

• We set up a LEB for my co-founders wife to watch the Olympics in the UK, worked out well plus got me more time to get features added :P

If you don't know Linux maybe checkout StrongVPN.

• Installing openvpn-as is just copy pasting their tutorial :)

edited August 2012

I dont think openvpn-as is a good idea.
    For the all-out traffic routed through VPN is the pptp and for the selected app traffic it is the ssh-tunellier version.
    The latter has the advantage that can work in any environment, even extremely restrictive firewalls/nats that block everything but port 80.
    On the other hand, setting a proxy inside the vps is also not a bad idea, provided you know how to do and secure it. A squid proxy can work without any issues too in the places that block everything but browsing, however, it only offers HTTP proxy, so maybe dante or similar should be used too.
    Still, SSH is easy to setup and one of the most versatile so it remains my primary option.
    M

• @black said: @joodle Mind posting your server and client config? Also are you using openvpn or openvpn-AS?

I'm using OpenVPN

you can find my server config here: http://joodlesrv.net/files/server.conf

• @joodle said: you can find my server config here: http://joodlesrv.net/files/server.conf

Ah... so I noticed that your config doesn't have MTU / mssfix. I removed it from my config and now I'm getting decent speeds :3

Thanks!

• @black no problem

• wahyanwahyan Member
    edited August 2012

@pcan said: If you select a OpenVZ (OVZ) VPS, you don't need to know Linux because the VPS will be installed by the provider and supplied to you ready for use. The simplest VPN type for web browsing is the ssh tunnel.

Do I need tun enabled before I do that?

edited August 2012

No, any standard linux instalation, on any kind of virtualization will do.
    Just follow the tutorial I posted above, it is easy and has pictures that apply to any provider.
    M