Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Backup - User rsync vs Host Dump
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Backup - User rsync vs Host Dump

KenshinKenshin Member
edited August 2012 in General

In the process of adjusting my main company's backup servers and was thinking about LEB backups on a provider view.

User/Customer Concerns

• Availability of backup in case of node failure
  • Generally backup to another VPS with a different provider

Provider Concerns

• Server is busy 24/7 due to international customers, scheduling off-peak time is a problem
  • Full container backup takes time and cannot do incremental (SolusVM inbuilt FTP backup)
  • Backup retention eats space (due to non-incremental backup)

For OneAsiaHost we completely leave backup to the user and provide none, but was wondering if providing a LAN based storage server via rsync would be helpful for users. It'll allow faster turn around time for backup/recovery since it's LAN based + rsync means only the difference is backed up, plus users know when their load will be lowest. But if there's a network issue the backup won't be accessible remotely so it's a drawback as well. Also requires user to be familiar with backup configuration/customisation and active monitoring of their own backup instead of leaving it to the provider.

I'm sure some LEB providers probably share the same concern as me when trying to implement backups. Not to mention I think we've seen that when a provider goes out of business suddenly, the backups go along with them so the stigma of provider-backup is there.

TL;DR;

Backup storage via LAN rsync but DIY, will you bother? (Assuming your provider offers no container backup)